Sign in to follow this  
Retired Wrencher

Head

Retired Wrencher

Hi I was just wondering if a 10 and a 12 hp head are the same in size and bolt pattern. A friend gave me an screw in timing gauge that fits in the spark plug hole to time an engine at T/D/C. so I have an Idea about drilling a hole and tap it to 14mm in an scrap head. any info would be helpful. Gary B............

rmaynard

If the gauge is supposed to hit the top of the cylinder, I don't think it will work. The spark plug hole on my K301 is over the exhaust valve, and my K241 is between the exhaust and intake. Drilling a hole in a scrap head may do the trick though.

TT

I presume you're talking Kohler, correct? :confusion-shrug:

10, 12, & 14 hp K & M series engines have the same head bolt pattern, but........

If you have to remove the "good" cylinder head to install the one with the "gauge", wouldn't it be just as easy to use a piece of flat steel?

Example: Comp Cams piston stop

rmaynard

If you have to remove the "good" cylinder head to install the one with the "gauge", wouldn't it be just as easy to use a piece of flat steel?

Or with the head off, just look at the piston. :confusion-shrug:

WH854

0Read this about Kohler Heads!!!http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/cylhead.htm

Chas

Retired Wrencher

OK this is just for rebuilding engines I am about to retire and would like to this as a side line I do have some scrap heads laying around and thought I could use. It has the 8mm 14mm 18mm adapters in this kit I will send picks a long later.I work in a machine shop any way they could easily mill and drill an then tap a hole over the piston dome. Gary B........

TT

There's no reason to use a TDC gauge on a Kohler though.....

They're needed for engines that have the points mounted to a movable base plate, like old motorcycles, some Tecumsehs, etc.

If you're installing an adjustable camshaft, you need a piston stop, degree wheel & pointer, etc.

Retired Wrencher

So Terry even if your rebuilding engines and you would like to set the points this would not work. As long as u are at tdc why cant u set the points from that point???? Gary B……

TT

Points are rarely - if ever - set to open at TDC.

Most points open at some point BTC so the fuel/air mixture has time to fully ignite (explode) as the piston reaches TDC and starts downward on the power stroke. (that's why it's called "timing")

Kohlers have the static marks on the flywheel and because of the external points, they can be adjusted after the engine is running by using a timing light.

Retired Wrencher

ok so u got me there but on the sart/gen engines is ther a place to time when runnig .I do not see a timing hole on the engine cover or on the side as the manuals depict. Thanks Gary B...

TT

The sight hole for the timing marks on the S/G engines should be in the aluminum closure (bearing) plate and the timing marks will be on the back edge of the flywheel.

Retired Wrencher

I will have to look thanks......................