rmaynard

How to make new insert bearings for your snow thrower

Kelly

Bob glad you got it figured out, I was looking at the parts blowers I have for the flanges to fit the small bearing , but no luck.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

Very gracious contribution Bob. :thanks:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

dclarke

Bob, I think this bearing/bushing combo will also work on my SMS-425 sickle bar. Thanks for the info.

• Like 3

rmaynard

Bob, I think this bearing/bushing combo will also work on my SMS-425 sickle bar. Thanks for the info.

Yes, it will. Those part numbers cross over.
  • Like 2

dwayneGT

On a side note, I did the same thing on my GT 14's idler pully for the trans drive belt. I found the correct dia. pully at Tractor Supply but the inside was 3/4" and I needed 5/8. so I used 5/8"x3/4" bronze sleeve. Works perfect

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

sorekiwi

That is exactly what I did on my sickle mower Denny. Several years of service on it now, with no issues.

The only thing I did different was to use a piece of steel tubing instead of a bronze bush.

If you dont want to mess with ordering the bearings through a bearing house, TSC does have the (7/8" ID ones) on the shelf, I'm thinking I paid less than $20 apiece for them

• Like 3

dclarke

Thanks Mike!

seth0804

wow thanks for the info I will do that, does the flange come apart or do the bearing pound in?

rmaynard

The flange comes apart.

• Like 1

buckrancher

yes

• Like 1

Tap53

You can also get speedi-sleeve's for bearings that are to loose for the hole lock-tite them in. $3-4.00, thousands of sizes available.

Believe they wont work in your case..

Good Fix

RedHorseFan

For an insert, you may be able to use a piece of standard 3/4" copper plumbing pipe.. I have used this trick several times in the past.

dclarke

Bob, I'm rebuilding a snow blower that I just picked up and referring to this thread saved me a lot of time. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Martin

Bob, like Denny, I'm rebuilding (or more accurately finishing) my 42ST-01 and came across this thread while searching. thank you for a great solution......

• Like 2

mmmmmdonuts

Thank you for the information on the bearings. I am in the midst of replacing one now. My blower is the 6-6211 model and it is on a 1968 Raider 12. I have the original bearing still on the shaft it is just moved way down and I can't seem to get it off and the set screws are striped. Is the best bet to drill it out? Or is there an easier way? Also I removed the pulley from the shaft to replace the bearing furthest away from the shaft. Is the key for the pulley removable? Otherwise I don't know how to get the bearing or sleeve on. Any tips? Thanks.

gwest_ca

The key should come out. They are a Woodruff key so the bottom is 1/2 round. If it wasn't seized you could tap one end down and the other end would come up. Lots of penetrating oil and a bit of heat should help. You don't want to hammer it too hard because that swells the key wider in the slot making it tighter. When you get one end up tap that end lengthwise to finish rolling it out of the hole. After that a new key and Never-seize is on the order.

Set screws are hard and hard to drill. It can be done with a good bit, slow speed and lots of oil. Not likely room to cut the bearing in half with a grinder and cut-off wheel? Know anyone with a cutting torch?

Just remember to coat everything with Never-seize so it is easier next time.

There is a file here in the manuals with the Wheel Horse key part number to Woodruff # so you can get one locally. Let us know if you can't find it.

Garry

mmmmmdonuts

Thanks for the help. I won't be able to get a chance to look at it until Friday, but I bought some replacement drill bits in case I snap anymore of them.

mmmmmdonuts

I know I used the 52mm flange from tractor supply which matched the outside holes: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/3-bolt-round-stamped-steel-flange-1-1-8-in-dia

I tried using the 47mm from tractor supply and it was too small to match the outside holes. (I believe this is the size you linked)

I used the following to make mine in addition to the flange:

SA205-14 7/8 bearing insert   http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/insert-bearing-sa205-14-7-8-in

Then I cut a piece of 3/4 copper pipe type L as an inner bushing as it almost matches the 7/8 to 3/4 bronze bushing that would be needed.

A handy insert bearing chart: http://www.bearingoutlet.com/products/mounted/inserts/csa/index.htm

Update: added the bearings chart

Edited by mmmmmdonuts

shallowwatersailor

Will the flanges support having a zerk installed? The flanges on my 5xi snowthrower have zerks. It is also a 1" I.D. bearing.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

WHX??

Just thought I would update this thread with some modern day pics...no Bob @rmaynard we're not saying your old just your thread! :lol: Like was mentioned this was done on a snow blower but applies to anything with hard to find insert bearings. Note these are 7/8 ID but need to go on a 3/4 shaft. My research showed that the correct ones are still available from Toro ....at anywhere from 60 -90 bucks apiece. That's nuts & and I am (sometimes) cheap.

Bearings from here, 6.50 a piece with a little for ship,  they have the needed 52mm OD to fit the 50 yo flanges.

http://bearingson.com/category/insert_bearings/uc_insert_bearings/78_insert_bearings_uc205-14.asp?page=1&SortType=0

Bushings from McMaster
2868T172

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/1175/=18ycui0

Bout 2.50 each shipped with some other needed hardware

some pics

20170809_180054.jpg

Carefully press the bushing into the bearing until centered  -  use a little oil to help, it is a snug fit.

Don't forget to remove set screws first! :o

20170809_174558.jpg

Use a small starter bit then up to about 3/16". Be care full when working around the existing threads.

20170809_181320.jpg

Next using a 1/4-28 tap rethread the set screw holes. Should take little to no effort.

20170809_174848.jpg

Blow off the chips with compressed air ...try and not blow the chips into the bearing (they are sealed BTW and NOT re-lubeable)

20170809_174746.jpg

Edited by WHX12
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Like Bob I picked up some longer (3/8") 1/4-28 set screws just because I wanted more meat on the table so to speak.  

20170809_175957.jpg

That's it ...ready for assembly on to whatever it is you are working on. This just happen to be a sickle bar mower. Easy and saved some serious coin in the process!

20170809_182854.jpg

Edited by WHX12
  • Like 3

peter lena

bob , excellent choice and upgrade on this issue. getting after a regular issue is the way to go. I  think the snow blower maintenance and regular lubrication are key ,to have it work like it should. I know since getting mine , it has shown me what it likes. Regular check over and chain and cable lube ,make it work without effort, or wear . pete     

moe1965

I ran into the same problem. I bought a replacement bearing with the holders. The ID was the same but the OD was a little bigger. I took a file and made the square mounting holes on the blower a little  bigger.  I'll try and find a part number. Cost was about 10 ea