Sign in to follow this  
caddisman

Wheel Horse 14 Transmission Fluid

caddisman

I was looking to change to transmission fliud in my Wheel horse14. The manual calls for 5 Qrts of dexron or Type F Hydrostatic oil so I purchased 5 Qrts of universal ATF at Tractor Supply.

Today, I was ready to start with the change and I noticed that the fluid thats currently in the transmission is white in color. Is this normal? Most of the time when fluid is this color, it has water in it.

I would like drain this and replace the fluid but I want to make sure what I replacing is compatible.

Thank You

smoreau

Might have condensation in the oil. If that's the case I would drain out as much as you can(about 3-4 qts) and refill with fresh ATF and run it for about 30 min. re-drain the trans and change the filter at that time. Refill with more fluid. When you drain the fluid , you will not get all the fluid out. Some stays int the pump.

sorekiwi

I'm guessing this is a '73 14 HP Auto?

From what I have read, these came from the factory with Dexron (red ATF) but soon after they started using engine oil instead (I forget what grade, it has been posted before). Mine has always had ATF in it.

It sounds as though yours has water in it, although I have never seen what ATF with water in it looks like. The hydro units are so well sealed up, I can imagine how water will have got in there.

Anyway I'd gt that stuff out of there. Scotts advice seems good to me, I'd probably keep flushing until the fluid is clean, water would be pretty damaging to all those close tolerance parts in the pump.

smoreau

Water or coolant in my field of work turns atf almost semi clear white when the trans cooler in the radiator springs a leak. Also pull the filter off and drain out as much as you can from it also, then put it back on tell the fluid looks clean and red. My 74 c160 uses 10w30 motor oil in the trans. that was the start of motor oil in the sun strand transmissions.

caddisman

I dont mean to sound like an idiot but I was told that the hydrostatic tranx has the filter but mine does not. My machine does not have a hydrostatic tranx. If mine has a filter, where would it be located? The manual shows a screw in filter, but I dont see this on my machine. I think the manual applies to both types of tranx.

Thanks, Anthony

sorekiwi

OK then, the manual trans does not have a filter, and does not take ATF in the gearbox.

It might be best to post the model # off the tag on your tractor so we can be sure of what tractor we are talking about.

If it is an 8 speed transmission, it should take about 2 qts of 90-140 wt gear oil. But since your old oil has water in it, I would drain it, flush it with a qt of kerosene and a qt of ATF, and then refill with the gear oil. Have a look at some of the "transmission flush" threads that are on here.

It sounds as though you need a shifter boot as well, that;s where the water normally gets in. They're available from your local Toro dealer for about $5.

Kelly

I think we need to know what tractor your working on before any more is said.

• Like 1

caddisman

The Tractor is 14 hp 8 speed. The model is 103408.

Thanks, Anthony

baerpath

They're telling you right I have the same tractor on the snowblower. Drain and flush Gear oil only

Duane

caddisman

Once I fill with it a qrt of kero and a qrt of ATF to start my flush, is it safe to run it around for a short while and get it warm to help loosen up the gunk?

Thanks, Anthony

Kelly

I would not drive it with the kero in it, but put it up a stands, and run it through the gears, now with the ATF in it I drive them around some, or I put a kid on it and they drive it around, then when it comes out clean fill with gear oil.

caddisman

Thank you very much guys! I greatly appreciate your help. I'm going to get on this done tomorrow. I hope with a few years experience on these machines maybe I can help others like you guys have helped me.

Thanks,

Anthony

nylyon

You will want to replace that shifter boot as well, oh and :WRS: you're just 1 town over from me.

caddisman

Thanks Neighbor, Found the boot for 5 bucks + shipping

Appreciate the help!

Thanks, Anthony

jabadamutt

I have a 1977 b80 that I just pulled the plug on the trans. Chocolatey looking oil came out... It has a square plug on the left lower part of trans, and an allen plug on the bottom. I pulled the bottom plug and nothing came out. Maybe half a quart on the side plug. Is there just junk plugging the bottom then? I took a mirror and looked in the hole and it looked metally, did not think to stick something in the hole... What would the purpose of the side square plug be if the bottom is the drain?

sorekiwi

I'm guessing yours is an 8 speed?

The plug on the left side of the case is the fill point for the early tractors that didnt have the filler/dipstick on the top.

If your oil looked like coffee it has water in it. Do the kerosene/atf flush as descibed above, and then refill it with clean gear oil.

jabadamutt

The side plug looks to low on the trans to be a fill plug. I did use it to start adding oil... the dipstick hole takes so long to fill. But to get the oil on the dipstick to read full, the side plug would never do it, the full level seems higher than this plug. And yes, it is an 8 speed. Thanks for your help!

sorekiwi

The mid sixties 6 speeds didnt have the dipstick so they used this as a fill/level plug. But they did add a pipe nipple to it to raise the level probably an inch and a half.

When filling yours, remove one of the bolts in the middle on the top of the trans. It will act as an air bleed while you fill it through the dipstick tube.

jabadamutt

Thanks, that explained it! Now I have another problem, filled the fluid and it started coming out of the left axle. My guess is a seal is bad. When I had the tire off, I noticed some play in the hub the tire goes onto, the seal was loose as well. I will probably need to look for a different thread to see what this is going to take...