grnlark

Can Anyone Help Me with These Briggs Numbers?

grnlark

I found a generator with a blown generator head, but with a very low hours 14hp twin cylinder Briggs horizontal Vanguard engine. It starts with less than one pull of the cord and is also set up to be electric start. My concern is if the shaft is straight or tapered. The guy has no clue. I do however have the numbers off the motor. I assume these should tell the story, but I have no idea how/where to decode them. Can anyone help?

Model: 294407

Type: 342-01

Code: 93082711

Thanks,

Matt

Mith

Generators generally have a tapered crankshaft.

To my knowledge the numbers wont tell you the type of crank used.

I may be wrong though!

HorseFixer

I found a generator with a blown generator head, but with a very low hours 14hp twin cylinder Briggs horizontal Vanguard engine. It starts with less than one pull of the cord and is also set up to be electric start. My concern is if the shaft is straight or tapered. The guy has no clue. I do however have the numbers off the motor. I assume these should tell the story, but I have no idea how/where to decode them. Can anyone help?

Model: 294407

Type: 342-01

Code: 93082711

Thanks,

Matt

Matt I just went to Briggs & Stratton Website and typed that model # in and it gave me Zilch, :dunno: Was wondering if that was the model on the Generator or engine?

Here is Briggs website.>>>>> http://www.briggsand...ton.com/search/

~Duke

TT

Yep - model number is no good and the type number is missing a digit.

Perhaps it's a 290447 / 0342-01 or a 294447 / 0342-01 ?

Using those numbers, it shows as being a tapered crankshaft.

grnlark

Thanks Terry. And thanks to the rest of you as well. I suspected it was a tapered shaft motor. That stinks.

Don1977

I would take the generator apart, you may be able to adapt the tapered part of the generator to a pulley. I would be found trying anyway.

I also have a generator built by Briggs with a 10 HP engine that I can not find anything on the engine. Family 38SXS 3422HT 275385

Mine still works great, if it generator quits I'll try to adapt the engine so I can use it.

TT

I also have a generator built by Briggs with a 10 HP engine that I can not find anything on the engine. Family 38SXS 3422HT 275385

I bet those numbers are on a sticker, aren't they? :eusa-whistle:

The MODEL/TYPE/CODE numbers will be stamped directly into the sheetmetal or an aluminum tag that's riveted to the sheetmetal.

Don1977

The MODEL/TYPE/CODE numbers will be stamped directly into the sheetmetal or an aluminum tag that's riveted to the sheetmetal.

There is no aluminum tag, just the vinyl sticker. I checked the number again ( Family 3BSXS 3422HT 275385 ) I had 38 instead of 3B. I have an owner manual that came with the generator and one for the engine but none of the engine numbers match anything on the engine. I'll give the changed number a try to see if anything comes up.

Still nothing, It is a "Generac" Power Boss 5500 Storm Plus by Briggs & Stratton. I bough it in 2002 when we had an ice storm. The generator is labeled built in The USA but I guess the engine was built some where else. I have a 4 HP Honda engine with a Family number makes be believe it was built in Japan, Korea or China.

TT

http://members.rennl...el_locator.html

The "real" numbers should be in the area of the valve cover and are hard to see in some generator applications due to the side covers, etc.

They'll be something like: 204412 / 1156-E2 followed by an 8 digit number which contains the date of manufacture.

Don1977

I found the model no. it looks just like this engine with out the tall dip stick. The shaft is the same. The next engine over has a white vinyl bar code sticker behind the one on mine that I think has the model number, I think mine fell off or they didn't put one on.

http://www.brandnewengines.com/204412-0142.aspx

TT

Unless the valve cover fell off, the numbers should be there. :ychain:

Start @ 1:12

Don1977

The valve cover still there, but there isn't a tag. There is a tab with a threaded hole that looks to have never been used. This one slip through with out a number plate. I bough it new in an unopened box so I know it wasn't taken off.

It's still there, it's even chrome plated! :laughing-rofl:

SAM_0052.jpg

SAM_0053.jpg

incognito

There is no aluminum tag, just the vinyl sticker. I checked the number again ( Family 3BSXS 3422HT 275385 ) I had 38 instead of 3B. I have an owner manual that came with the generator and one for the engine but none of the engine numbers match anything on the engine. I'll give the changed number a try to see if anything comes up.

Still nothing, It is a "Generac" Power Boss 5500 Storm Plus by Briggs & Stratton. I bough it in 2002 when we had an ice storm. The generator is labeled built in The USA but I guess the engine was built some where else. I have a 4 HP Honda engine with a Family number makes be believe it was built in Japan, Korea or China.

I know this is an old thread so I don't know if you made progress on this.

The valve cover in the picture is strictly cosmetic.

There is grey painted one underneath it.

Pull out the breather hose, remove the 4 nuts and washers and you will see the second valve cover.

Now if someone can tell me if i need specialty tool to remove the carb, I would appreciate some help.

TT

Now if someone can tell me if i need specialty tool to remove the carb, I would appreciate some help.

:WRS:

About the only "specialty tool" I could think of needing might be a Torx driver of some sort, but I believe the carburetor is retained by (metric)hex nuts.

AMC RULES

Just like a ol' tractor resoration...

I really dig it when old threads are revived with new/additional information. :thumbs:

incognito

About the only "specialty tool" I could think of needing might be a Torx driver of some sort, but I believe the carburetor is retained by (metric)hex nuts.

You are right, it requires a torx socket....or a vise grips and replacement studs.

There are no hex nuts, the studs have a "collar" that hold the carb on.

Don1977

You are right, it requires a torx socket....or a vise grips and replacement studs.

The hex nuts hold the breather on.