Sign in to follow this  
IthacaJeff

Head removal maintenance at 500 hrs

IthacaJeff

Hi all:

Had a little time yesterday to look through the Kohler manual for fun, and noted that my Kohler K341 and

M20 (on my Deutz-Allis 1920) require head removal at 500 hrs to have carbon buildup removed and valves

checked. Of course, a new head gasket is necessary when putting it all back together.

I've never done this, but then again, none of my tractors were purchased with less than 700 hrs. How many

of you have done this on a "routine" basis?

Jeff

Anglo Traction

Hi Jeff, I carry out this procedure religiously on any engine that comes into my possession, irrespective of it's history. I have seen the damage that lumps of Carbon can do, as well as affect performance, causes 'Hot Spots' and therefore Cooling.

For the sake of a Gasket and an hour or 2, it's a 'No Brainer' for me.

Having said that, most modern fuels significantly reduce deposits, so modern engines are less affected. Also with use of additives, they stay cleaner longer. Most of mine are 30+ years old when I've aquired them.

Regards.

Kelly

I think 80% of the kohler single cyl. engines that pass through here need a head gasket and carbon cleaning, ones I sell (unless beaters) or my keepers get that done, check to see if the head is flat at the same time, be sure to use a torque wrench and follow the pattern, and re check after a hour or so of run time, let it cool at least a hour before re torquing .

AMC RULES

I'm ashamed to admit I'm pretty clueless to the whole process too Jeff. :scratchead: I've seen it discussed in great detail but wasn't paying attention. A link to a previous thread would probably be most helpful, but the best I can do right now is this one instead. :dunno: At least I brought something to the table. :coffee:

http://www.ebay.com/...-All-Categories

AMC RULES

Ok, found us some reading material Jeff. :text-woo:

http://www.wheelhors...h&fromMainBar=1

Well I guess that method didn't work huh?

Try kohler head gasket in the forum search window, lot's of reading material on the subject comes up. :thumbs:

sorekiwi

I am always srprised that most of the "new" ones to me have headbolts that arent as tight as they should be - a result of the head gasket compressing. So they usually get a clean up straight away, and a retorque after the first running. However after that I dont keep track of the hours (I just change the motor oil in the spring and in the fall). I think even with my mowing tractor I would put less than 100 hours on a year. So in 5 years (500 hours) I'd probably be wanting to do a valve job and a clean up anyway.

Shuboxlover

This is what I found when I took the head off my 7HP Kohler...

IthacaJeff

I was really hoping to hear something like. . . ."nah, never done it, its just a legal/warranty thing with Kohler. . ."

Guess I've got a new job coming up in the spring.

Jeff

smoreau

I was really hoping to hear something like. . . ."nah, never done it, its just a legal/warranty thing with Kohler. . ."

Jeff

I would say 90%+ of the people that buy a kohler engine will never consider that as a thing that they would do. Most just run it tell it dyes and take it in to someone to fix it. that would be the norm, but some do every thing that the the manufacture would like done when its due. As for me, my 875 never had the head removed sense it was new before I restored it. still needs to come back apart and have them :orcs-censored: moly rings replaced with kohler ones. But thats another topic.

HorseFixer

Yep, everyone that comes home gets heads removed, carb removed cleaned, points, condensor, Plug and a good going over. filters replaced if needed, oil change all of this is depending wether its a keeper. If the engines bad AWE WHAT THE HELL Drop a Grand :banghead::eek::dunno:

~Duke

• Like 1

tunahead72

Jeff,

I do the head and combustion chamber cleaning every spring on my main mower ('86 310-8). I've never done the head flattening procedure, only because I didn't know how until this past summer, but I'll do that next spring as well.

The procedure is described in the Kohler service manual, which you should be able to download from their web site (and other places) if you don't have a copy yet.

There's also a more comprehensive write-up on head gasket issues that I've found useful, written by a guy named Matt Gonitzke and available on his web site here:

http://mgonitzke.net.../headgasket.pdf

Matt has written up some other procedures for Kohler engines, they're on his site also in the "How-To" section. Be aware that he specializes in Cub Cadets, so you'll see references to CC tractors that won't apply to Wheel Horses.

The valve adjustment is also worth doing every once in a while, especially if you don't know whether it's ever been done on your particular machines, or if you think you're hearing any valve noises. That procedure is also described in the service manual, and it's more involved (usually requires removing the carb), but it's not real difficult. I know I've seen some threads here that helped me, I'll try to find them if you're interested.

By the way, this stuff should also apply to the K241 that I'm assuming is in your 310-8.

can whlvr

i too look at every one that comes in,one of the last ones that had no compression was carbon,if you read brian millers pulling site,he says you can reuse a head gasket if its in good shape,i think you need some gasket compound of some type,ive reused head gaskets :hide:

Shuboxlover

If the engines bad AWE WHAT THE HELL Drop a Grand :banghead::eek::dunno:

~Duke

:laughing-rofl:

Mith

I think its because most of the people on here are here because they are enthusiasts, so are more likely to take care of their engines in the way that Kohler suggests. As Scott said, I bet most engines never have much more than basic servicing done, some not even that!

Personally, I have never taken the head off as part of routine maintenance. It is just a lawnmower engine at the end of the day!

In theory its a very easy job, but experience tells me that it can get very tricky very fast!

buckrancher

Jeff

you should be all set for awhile Jeff I did that when you had her at my house

Brian

IthacaJeff

Hi Brian:

I figured you had done that to the 416 -- she's the least of my worries! My inquiry was really inspired after

looking through the Kohler manual I picked up to go with my Deutz Allis (Sunstar) with the Magnum 20. I just

picked up this tractor to do the main mowing chores (60" deck) and figured in the spring I'd give it a good

going over. The complexity of this machine versus the WHs is daunting . . . but the price was right.

Anyway, I guess I'll hit the single head on the M10 of my 310-8 then tackle the dual heads on the M20. A

couple of warm dry days in spring should be perfect.

Thanks,

Jeff