Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhrselkr

Looking to buy my first horse

Wheelhrselkr

Just started looking for a wheelhorse, friend of mine has me turned onto them what do you all think of a 416 with 325 hours on it with blower chains and weights lowest the guy says he will go via e-mail is $600. Pics look really good. Let me know if I should show up with cash ($500) thanks Derek

Trouty56

Go with the most you will pay and don't budge. I don't know where you are in VT but there seems to be a good amount of WH's in the CT / NY / Maine area. If this one slips by another will take it's place. The first ones are the toughest to "stick to your guns" I would guess.

Is it a hydro?? Single stage blower...maybe it is a 2 stage. They go for almost what you are considering for the whole tractor.

Blower if it is nice...(single stage) 125

Chains....2 link??.... lets just say 25

Wheel weights......Always pricey 50

all guesses to give you a value figure.....but there is 200 bucks of accessories that you would have shelled probably a lot more money out for. Tractor for 300....not bad..

Throw your pics up for us to see...it is always helpful...in fact, you'll be asked to anyway.... :)

Welcome to the forum Derek

oldnugly

I agree with Trouty56. That's not a bad price if it's in good condition. My 16hp C-160-8spd has all the power I've needed for dozing and pulling small saplings, etc. I've always run out of traction before running out of power.

Kelly

$600 is a good price, I think trouty is a bit low on his prices, blower single stage around me in good shape $200-250, if a tall shoot $300+ chains 4 link in the $25-40 2 link in the $40+ range, weights if plastic $50 if ruff up to $100, cast iron WH weights $125 up. good running tractor 416 that looks good, in the $300-500 range, does it come with a deck?

AMC RULES

Seems like a good price to me. You're right, money talks, but I wouldn't try to low ball him. Go check it out and make your offer based on the condition of the items you're looking at. :twocents-mytwocents::WRS: :text-merryxmas:

rexman72

i think once you go see the tractor and try it out you will have better knowledge of what to spend on it.meaning is it all worth it to you.I find all sorts of good deals in vt.

rmaynard

In my area (Maryland) you are lucky to find a single-stage snow blower in good cosmetic and mechanical condition for under $300.00. If everything appears to be in good shape, start the 416 and see if it makes any knocks or strange noises or blows smoke. If not, put it in gear and see how it moves. If it's a hydro it may be a little sluggish the first time in cold weather, but it should go. If it is an 8-speed, there should be no grinding noises. Look for oil leaks around the engine and transmission.

I would take $600 with me and offer less, but be prepared to pay the full amount. I think it's probably worth it.

Wheel Horse Kid

Depending on what shape everything is in, I would say that is a good price.

Sparky

If you dont end up with the 416 let me know. The guy in Dover Plains NY I bought a WH from yesterday had a real nice 10 or 12 hp Kohler "K" powered machine, 8 speed tranny, 42" rear discharge deck, good paint and new tires for a sweet price. It was a very well maintained machine! I only had enough cash for the one I bought or it woulda came home with me.

Mike............

JC 1965

I agree with Maynard, Just make sure you check it out thoroughly. Then if he won't come down on the price, you have to decide how bad you want it. I'd say It's worth $600 if It's in good condition.. :WRS:

Wheelhrselkr

Thanks for all the input, going to see if I can go take a look at it tomorrow!

Wheelhrselkr

I have read that pictures are a must or one should not even post here!! Hope I did this right, this is the one I am planning on looking at tomorrow, and it does not have a deck.

post-5848-0-76927000-1324829177.jpgpost-5848-0-06233300-1324829210.jpg

Trouty56

Better get it!!

Forest Road

The snow blower alone is worth $400 or more. You'd better jump!

Sparky

Actually thats a 2 stage blower and if it works correctly its worth more than 4 bills from what I've been seeing lately. Assuming the tractor is a good runner, $600 is a great price with that blower.

Mike.......

stevebo

Blower is worth over $600 alone imo. Go get it !!!!!!

Kelly

Yup 2 stage blower in good shape $500 or so, Tractor looks good, it does have a Onan twin they are prone to a few problems, carb issues, valve seat problems, and they drink lots of gas, but I have 3 520s that I love smooth and tons of power.

I'd say the asking price is low, but I would still offer $500 but warm the engine up good listen for funny noises, and running ruff.

mowerman1193

Looks to me to be in decent shape. I would snag it for the $600 I think..

Kevin

can whlvr

ya in my area that would be a low price given the engine is fine,ita an 8 speed so at 350 shouldnt need to worry about that,if i were looking the onan would be the thing why not to buy it,but if its been well maintained,look for grease shooting out of the axles and wheels and steering shaft,theres a zerk under the front as well,check the tranny fluid to see what color and engine oil,these could have been changed recently so all that will tell you is someone has looked it over latly,i just got a 1990 312-h that the engine was allready due for a rebuild at 325 hours,they proballly never changed the oil,look for leaks around the rear axles,seals are easy enough but a leaky seal is a good barganing tool,but if shes in good shape thats a great price im my area

Wheelhrselkr

Thanks for the help, shooting out early in the am to go give it a look and bringing a forum member with me. If all goes well i will be a real member of this forum by 8:30 am tomorrow!

Kelly

good luck, but from a 1000 miles away it looks like a good deal.

Wheelhrselkr

Lol kelly!

boovuc

I hope you got it! Yup! With a two-stage blower, you can't beat the price! Even if the motor is weak or on it's way out, the blower sells for about that price or more in PA.

Good Luck and I really hope you can bring her back with you!

• Like 1

Ken B

I hope you snagged it. It almost looks to good to be true! It looks like with a little work she'll clean up nicely.

Wheelhrselkr

Got it!! Will post some pics in the next few days. Thanks for your help! Sure i will be looking for more help here over the life of her!