Sign in to follow this  
can whlvr

snow thrower cable replacement on 42 inch single stage

can whlvr

so not too long ago it was brought up by a member that nylon wipper snipper line will work to move shoot instead of the braided aircraft cable it came with,i was tuning up one of my blowers today and the wire rope was giving me troubles due to wear(not from this year or last either)so i looked it up on partstree and the cable is 20 bucks up here,and ill probally wait 3 weeks for it,yes i have used tsc wire rope(thats whats on it)but it didnt last very long so i remembered the topic about plastic weed eater line,which i have lots of right now and put it on,if it lasts its a great system,it works great,smooth,easy to work with and cheap,ill keep a mind in how long it lasts and let you guys know how it does,if we ever get any snow,we only got 2 real snow falls last year and nothing so far this year

rexman72

hard to believe your not getting any snow in canada so far.

can whlvr

ya its so strange,its kinda scary really,will spring come in june now,thats how it seems to work,we usually pay for it somehow,today is above zero and melting the 1/2 inch we do have

JohnnyO64

So any update on the plastic weed eater line for your snowblower? Just wondering how your results went? I have to replace my cable because its all "kinked up" around the spool on my snowblower and as you, we havent had much snow here in CT either, so I havent had to use the blower much but do want to replace the darn cable. Let me know if you use the weed eater line and what gauge thickness you're using. I have a whole spool of that stuff, but it is a pretty thick gauge of weed eater line. Thanks! Waiting patiently

can whlvr

well we havnt had 12 inches of snow all year,and i mean a total of 12,but i have farted around with it and so far so good,i put it on my newest thrower now too,it seems to work really well,and i dont even have the really thick line on,for next year i will buy thich line but im impressed so far

JohnnyO64

Okay Guys I gotta ask. I just put the weed trimmer line on my snow blower shoot and it seems to be okay, but what is the secret from keeping it from binding up and getting snarled around the spool. It is not staying taunt around the spool, anything help would be greatly appriecaited or is it something I need to correct and adjust???

can whlvr

i put a tight knott in the line on each side of the holes in the spool and then you need to make sure the line is tight when you wrap it