Sign in to follow this  
mailman

Does this look normal?

mailman

I am trying to replace the oil seal on my 8 hp Kohler. After looking at this seal it looks as though it was set in too deep. Any thoughts? It looks as though it was set about an inch past the outside of the block. Should it have been set in less? By the way, it is leaking.

002-1.jpg

TT

That one is definitely too deep, Eric.

You can install the new one without removing the old one if you can't get it out. (I have done it a few times.)

Either way, install the new seal until it is about 1/64" to 1/32" below the outer surface of the block. (just a smidge below "flush") That should get you back in business. :whistle:

DJ 310-8

Hmmm..., not that I'm an expert..., but is that seal in backwards..?? Shouldn't the flat face of the seal be out, and the lip in towards the crankcase..?? Just checkin'..

TT

Most Kohler seals I've seen are double-lip. The outer lip keeps out contaminants, and the inside lip holds the oil in.

The picture isn't clear enough for me to tell if it's backwards, but it's definitely too deep. B)

mailman

Ok. The seal that is in right now is like pic #1. This side out.

005.jpg

Not like this pic #2

004-1.jpg

TT

Picture #1 is correct, Eric.

It must have leaked because it was installed to deep and/or it was twisted.

Any luck extracting the old seal?

mailman

Haven't tried yet TT. Trying to find something to pick it out with. But if it's ok to push another in without getting the other out, then I will do that.

TT

I have two engines floating around the USA that have the old seal inside the new one. B)

I have sucessfully removed a few old ones by tapping two long "deck screws" into the seal face to get them started, screw them in until they get a good bite, and then use vise-grips or pliers to grip the screws and gently pulling equally until the seal is out. :whistle:

kj4kicks

Unless it's a BAD leaker, I would recommend getting the old seal out of there. Otherwise, there will be nothing to keep the new seal lubed, and it will burn it up. If a seal runs dry, it will have a short life.

$.02

mailman

Eldon,

It actually does leak pretty badly. So, if it doesn't come out, it may not be a problem.

I like the screws technique. Sounds like it could work.

Thanks once again TT.

TT

I made sure I punched a few holes through the ones I left in. The one was actually missing the entire lip until I was done TRYING to get it removed, so I figured it was as good as gone. B)

Curmudgeon

Where was that screw idea when I really needed it!!!!! That would work on many other seals I've had a dickens of a time digging out!! Like say, on the 8-speeds.......

TT

Addition number two-hundred and forty seven...... B)

If accessible, drill small pilot holes in the seal face to allow the screw to start biting quicker. This is also better when there's a risk of loosing the seal back in the bore where it is installed. If metal shavings are a concern, pack the flutes of the drill bit with grease to catch them. (This also works great when drilling and tapping a stripped spark plug hole for insertion of a threaded insert.)

rustbucket

you mean a heli coil TT

Curmudgeon

Addition number two-hundred and forty seven...... B)

If accessible, drill small pilot holes in the seal face to allow the screw to start biting quicker. This is also better when there's a risk of loosing the seal back in the bore where it is installed. If metal shavings are a concern, pack the flutes of the drill bit with grease to catch them. (This also works great when drilling and tapping a stripped spark plug hole for insertion of a threaded insert.)

Just goes to show, while it's good to listen to your elders, sometimes it's good for us elders to listen as well!!!!!!!!!! B)

Though it is hard to swallow sometimes.... :whistle: B)

TT

you mean a heli coil TT

Nope.... I don't use Heli-Coils in spark plug holes.

I only use the shouldered threaded inserts that won't screw completely through the hole.

Ever try and dig a Heli Coil insert out of a cylinder on a car engine? B)

rustbucket

yeah when i was in high school auto tech class freshman year. teacher said to heli coil it and well you know the rest.

TT

Just goes to show, while it's good to listen to your elders, sometimes it's good for us elders to listen as well!!!!!!!!!! B)

Though it is hard to swallow sometimes.... :whistle:B)

You're safe, Dale.

Dad is 72 years old and spent about 45 years working in a large machine shop. I feel honored to distribute his knowledge and tricks to the rest of the people I come in contact with.

So...... The credit actually goes to the greatest "elder" I know! B)

DJ 310-8

OOPS Sorry...!! B) I guess it being inset so deep, it looked like Pic# 2 to me...