Martin

here we go again... 1057's turn now.

AMC RULES

Nice, nice, nice, and nice. :scratchead:

Looks great Martin, you're almost there. :text-coolphotos:

sorekiwi

Very nice Martin.

I think those seats are the best replacement for the original ones, they do look right.

I had the same spacing problem on my 1267, so I elected to put a pair of seat springs on. Adds to the comfort level too, my tired old back need all the help it can get!

Martin

a little closer to being done......

finished the black on the seat pan, i guess its growing on me, looks better in the flesh than the pics, for some reason the pics i took today dont have the same impact as the red and matt black looks in the sun.

also got the pto bearings and seals installed and on the tractor.

heres some pics of the pto install and when i dragged it outside on the lawn with the steering wheel propped in position and the seat sitting on some spacers.... :hide:

gallery_4321_61_731191.jpg

gallery_4321_61_475140.jpg

gallery_4321_61_992157.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1173655.jpg

gallery_4321_61_983380.jpg

gallery_4321_61_477988.jpg

gallery_4321_61_205147.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1978216.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1179602.jpg

• Like 4

Jake Kuhn

She sure is nice martin! :handgestures-thumbup: Jake

bowtiebutler956

Beautiful Martin!! :scared-eek: That Horse really does look sharp! :text-coolphotos:

Matt :flags-texas:

dclarke

A blue ribbon winner for sure Martin. Outstanding job!!!!! :thumbs:

smoreau

Know you should be very proud of your self Martin!! :thumbs2: You brought back a great classic tractor to a new lease on life!! Glen makes those steering wheel caps if you don't have one. So whats next? I got a nice 74 c160 that needs some powder :ychain: Outstanding job on this Martin!!

Martin

small update. got the exhaust all sorted. was going to just use a single length of pipe like in my previous pics, but couldnt get it looking good in the bend, so went back to a close and 3" nipple and a 45 degree elbow. we were running a bunch of hi temp black powder at work, so i thought id give that a whirl and see how it holds up.

gallery_4321_61_2244957.jpg

finally got the steering shaft and gears sorted.......

gallery_4321_61_1333353.jpg

choke and throttle cables in, but still messing around with routing them. steering shaft all ready for the steering wheel, once its done. i spent about 6 hours today wet sanding the wheel, still a few hours left on that before its done........will post some pics on that when it done.

gallery_4321_61_1708153.jpg

pto decal on, learned how to make these along with the dash decals yesterday! thanks terry for the schooling.....

gallery_4321_61_1059061.jpg

also got some seat springs from mike (sorekiwi) , will take them to work tomorrow, blast them and throw them in the vibratory machine to get them smoother before paint. im interested to see what sort of ride difference there is with these vs sitting on a seat just bolted to a seat pan.....

gallery_4321_61_1710710.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Looking really good Martin! :woohoo: Make sure to let us know how the exhaust hold up. :thumbs:

Anglo Traction

Your work just oozes quality as usual Martin :bow-blue: . I see you've used the old Anti Vibration/Rub trick on the PTO Rod where it passes through the Selector Gate!.

With the Seat Springs added, will you be ok with the Steering wheel to Knee Clearance ?. I noticed they (WH) extended the Upper Shaft length on Seat Sprung Models around 73-74. Prior to that, the Part nbr seemed pretty generic. I believe you Fabbed the Upper shaft anyway, so maybe it's a dumb question :confusion-shrug: .

Martin

no dumb questions. havent had the chance to check it with the seat springs yet. would like to clean them up first. i can say that with the seat sitting on just the pan i have at least 5 inches of clearance to the wheel from my legs. the outer rim of the steering wheels on these mid sixties long hoods sit up from the dash quite a distance. they need to as there is a clearance problem with the opening of the hood when using smaller 'less offset' wheels.....

when i fabbed the shaft, the length was done so that the hub of the wheel would be sitting about 1/2" off the dash. much the same as my 1277. so its probably about standard length.

the pto anti rub trick is just some heat shrink tubing at the moment. its not really holding up. might go to a piece of clear plastic hose or something else more robust.

sorekiwi

Looks good Martin! I do like the powder on the exhaust, it will be interesting to see how it holds up.

What did you end up getting for choke and throttle cables? I remember the discussion a few months back but dont remember the outcome...

Martin

the paint is supposed to be good for constant 800 degrees, so we will see. i do know that its unusual powder, very hard to get an even finish when applying it, if you have to remove it, the burn ovens wont touch it, and neither will chemical stripper. but it blasts off real easy, whereas normal powder is exactly the opposite....... :confusion-scratchheadblue:

cables......

i got the ebay stens ones. i know all the problems with these cables, but i had to get something. so we will see how long they last. i do know the locking mechanism seems like it locks very easy, so not a lot of twisting force on the knob. the oem cable on the 875 doesnt lock at all so im not sure if its the same mechanism. looks to be different, but without looking at it apart im not sure. the stens one looks like the inner cable is keyed to a threaded ferrule that moves as you turn the knob, eventually it runs out of thread and binds inside to lock. is this how the oem ones are?

if i get around to it i might end up pinning the knob to the cable. we will see.........

AMC RULES

Can you show us how you pin the knobs to the cables Martin? :thanks:

Martin

yeah, if i end up doing that, i will document it with pics. might practice on an old cable first though......

im half tempted to just use it as is and see how long it lasts........

Martin

got the seat springs painted and on. i like it! plenty of room for my legs and some cushion for my back. going to take a while to get used to sitting up higher though......

gallery_4321_61_1638631.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1860480.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1753703.jpg

plenty of leg room, steering wheel still needs a little work, but its a bunch nicer than before......

gallery_4321_61_90811.jpg

dclarke

I like the seat springs Martin, been thinkin of doing that to my 867. :thumbs:

bowtiebutler956

Looking Good Martin! :bow-blue:

AMC RULES

Looks better than brand new to me. :bow-blue:

sorekiwi

I like the seat springs Martin, been thinkin of doing that to my 867. :thumbs:

The seat springs do improve the comfort as well as solving the "big seat on a narrow fender pan" problem. Still not as comfortable as the seat set up on a 520, but a lot easier on the back than the solid mount. (says the kiwi who just returned from yet another trip to the chiropracter...

• Like 1

horsesaver98

wow martin that is one hansome red and black steed u got there :bow-blue: :bow-blue: :eek:

Martin

at the risk of plagiarizing the great stevasaurus, i present to you rs folk the maiden voyage of the blackhood 1057........

or a few mini ones, anyway......

one or two teething problems, the biggest of which is an issue with the drive belt. looks like the pulleys wont let go enough, the belt goes slack, but it wont come away from the pulleys enough. easy fix, just need to put an angle or two on the back of the belt guard so that when the belt goes slack, it doesnt droop in the middle and instead pushes away from the pulley grooves, if you listen in the vids you will hear the belt when i come to a stop or anytime the clutch is in......

otherwise, this thing runs great, steering is awesome, tight, smooth and light, trans is very quiet, engine is smooth and runs really nice. i couldnt be happier with the way it drives.......

anyway, heres the vids......... :party:

th_IMG_0792.jpg

th_IMG_0793.jpg

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

What Martin, no wheelies? :ychain: Just Kidding. Looks, and sounds great! :thumbs:

312Hydro

Wow, Looks great! The black reminds me of the P-51 fighters and 70's Musclecars. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Terry M

Thanks for the ride! :)