Martin

here we go again... 1057's turn now.

Martin

well the 1057 is apart. the trans was out two months ago as i was messing around with putting an 8 speed in the 1057 just to see what it was like. since then its just been sitting while ive been messing around with a few kohlers i picked up and for the last week been working on the 3 speed (5058). theres a thread on that in the transmission section, if youre interested.

since i was at a standstill tonight on the trans,(waiting for another bearing for the input shaft) i decided to get the 1057 apart so i can strip and blast the frame and front crossmember. since this thing is really worn out , i have a bunch of work to do with the pivot in the front and steering joints etc. i dont think the po ever got any grease up in the areas where it was needed, but definitely got it everywhere else. most of it was cleaned off when i first got this thing, and tomorrow the burn oven will take care of the rest of it..

AMC RULES

Burn oven?

Martin

yeah, we use burn ovens to strip parts. 800 deg for about 3 hours. burns off all the paint, grease etc. much easier than degreaser and then blasting paint off. after its all burnt, just throw it in the cabinet and brush blast the ash and rust off and youre done, powder coat doesnt blast well, so the ovens are a cost effective method for hundreds or even thousands of parts to quickly remove paint.

AMC RULES

Sounds like the shizzle! :eusa-think: I need one of those at my house. :scratchead:

Martin

i think those ovens are a major contributor to my bosses quoting of $28,000 a month some time ago for natural gas. who knows what it is now, we added another big one just recently.............

AMC RULES

OK, maybe not. :hand:

Martin

been getting a few pieces painted over the past few days. worked on the frame, getting the front pivot tightened up and trying to get rid of some of the rust pitting in the frame before painting. pain in the a__. also tightened up some of the steering.......

Jake Kuhn

Looks great Martin! :bow-blue:

Martin

heres some more of this weeks work... planning on getting the wheels done tomorrow if i can make time.

gallery_4321_61_2163663.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1093567.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1349928.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1235946.jpg

gallery_4321_61_220342.jpg

Martin

wheels painted.

one thing i noticed with the rears is one has a very rough grinding of the join in the rim where the other is smooth. i thought at first that somebody had done it after it was new, but the grinding goes right under the gap in the center section/ rim and i doubt that anybody could get in between to do this. so im thinking it was done before the center section was welded to the rim. both rims are firestone 12 x 7. and both look the same except for this grinding. both have what looks like factory spot welded center sections, spot welding on both looks the same. i didnt mess with them too much and left the rough area as is. since these were powdered no filler was used either. not really bothered too much, just wondering if this was a common thing that every so often a rough one was thrown on a tractor. i think if i was buying new in '67, handing over a considerable amount of cash and found one rim like this i probably would feel differently.

gallery_4321_61_357145.jpg

rough seam...

gallery_4321_61_437981.jpg

better looking seam....

gallery_4321_61_612445.jpg

Anglo Traction

Just seen this Thread .....Looking good Martin :handgestures-thumbup: Neat work . Yep, I had the same problem with one Rear Rim. although not so noticable after careful grinding. I envy you guys over there with access to good facilities. Looking forward to more progress reports.

Regards

Martin

been spending most of the week on the engine. i have 2 1057 spec k241 engines...(46333D) the one that was originally on this tractor i pulled the head and although it was running awesome, the piston felt loose in the bore and i could see enough wear that this one was going to be some $ to get right. even though it was running great i could see some extra work ahead of me if i left it alone and also didnt want to put hours into cleaning it up and painting if it wasnt going to last. then i have the one i got from indy at scotts m&g. same engine, but in nicer condition and i already new how it was inside. i will do rings as the gaps are way over spec and give it a light hone to clean up the bore a little. piston is nice in bore so i will leave it alone, crank and rod are good as well and of course all seals and gaskets will be done at the same time and will check and remedy any out of spec clearances that need attention as i go. theres a write up of the initial tear down when i got this engine here......

anyway engine was tore down early in the week and cleaned up and i painted the block, tins and misc stuff this morning at work...

heres the rundown in pics......

starting point.

CIMG1245.jpg

engine stripped down...

gallery_4321_61_125098.jpg

blasted and washed....

gallery_4321_61_1839251.jpg

bit of cleaning up of the cast iron.....

gallery_4321_61_1404711.jpg

powdered parts and engine block....

gallery_4321_61_2200657.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1016519.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

You've gotta stop nitpicking Martin, you know it never looked that good when it originally left the factory. :bow-blue:

Personally, I don't how you're ever gonna be able to place your feet on those footrests without wanting to lick them first. :icecream:

Jake Kuhn

Looks great Martin! :handgestures-thumbup:

smoreau

You've gotta stop nitpicking Martin, you know it never looked that good when it originally left the factory. :bow-blue:

Personally, I don't how you're ever gonna be able to place your feet on those footrests without wanting to lick them first. :icecream:

I agree!! Looks very nice Martin!! You do very nice work, And you know what you want, and know how to get it done. :bow-blue: very impressive.

Martin

day off today, so got up early and got some tractor stuff done. got the trans bolted up to the frame. reamed and installed bushings in the front axle pivot and installed to frame. got wheels bolted up on the rear with 7/16-20 bolts and lug nuts to replace the oem bolts. still waiting for front wheel bearings so the fronts are just on loose, taking a break for lunch and real happy how its coming together, so i thought id post some pics of how it is right now....

gallery_4321_61_1626654.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1741419.jpg

gallery_4321_61_983808.jpg

gallery_4321_61_2901627.jpg

going to get some of the engine together this afternoon. im replacing the head bolts with studs, got them in yesterday with a whole bunch of bolts etc so i mocked it up with the head and starter/generator bracket to see how it looked......

gallery_4321_61_1147552.jpg

more to come after some lunch.....

• Like 1

Kelly

Big box of parts will be in the mail tomorrow for you, this is going to be nice, I see you cleaned up the footrest castings also, attention to detail makes them look very nice.

sorekiwi

Looking good Martin! :thumbs:

What is the :thingy: on the front of the axle pivot pin? Is it just a boss welded to the front of the frame to repair a wanked out hole?

Martin

kelly, looking forward to getting them.......

mike, that is a boss or collar that has a set screw. i welded one on the front and back, had to work the steering a bit on the back to make it work. the holes in the frame were loose, not excessive but enough to warrant fixing them. i thought the easiest way was this, plus it puts more than double the bearing area for the pin front and rear. i didnt like the way the 1054 was either but the front hole was good with just making up a new pin so i left it how it was originally. the way the 1057 is now the front of the pin is held tight just like the rear and theres no flag on the back of the pin to flex and chew the front out more. also reamed the axle and installed two 3/4 x 1 inch bearings. both pins on the 1054 and 1057 had broken flags on the back and were worn really bad at the front and axle area.

old 1057 pin.

gallery_4321_61_50144.jpg

heres the setup before welding......

gallery_4321_61_666196.jpg

sorekiwi

Thanks Martin, thats what I thought it was but I didnt realize you had put one on the back as well. I agree that more bearing area on the pin has got to help, that is a definate weak point in the factory design.

I had a ton of wear in the front hole on my 500 Special and ended up spinning up a bush to sleeve the hole back down, and also added a thrust surface to take some of the fore/aft movement out of the axle.

End of page 2 in this thread:

Jake Kuhn

Its looking great Martin! :bow-blue:

Martin

thanks for the comments guys.

alright, was an afternoon thrash to get the engine to where its at now. i couldnt help myself, even with the front wheels resting on the stubs, i had to get some pics of it on the frame. heres the progress of the engine through the afternoon. getting it together normally would only take a couple hours, but with everything looking nice, it took a little more time.

i just love the looks of the kohlers, especially the curves of the flywheel shroud, i cant wait to get the smoothed over starter/generator back together and mounted with the belt guard.

gallery_4321_61_64265.jpg

gallery_4321_61_2293309.jpg

gallery_4321_61_2628085.jpg

gallery_4321_61_2304899.jpg

gallery_4321_61_2437278.jpg

gallery_4321_61_1570721.jpg

• Like 3

dclarke

Fantastic job Martin!

massey

All your hard work is really showing through, it looks excellent. :eusa-clap:

Anglo Traction

Thought you were on a long Lunch until I saw your Engne Pics.... :hide:

:notworthy: Love the work so far Martin, also the Shiney Bits/Bolts. Look's so much better than Factory Paint Blow over..... IMO .