Rooster

Cad Users?

Don1977

Hand drawing with INK?? Not this kid! LOL

Not I either lol. I have heard of the technique, but never had to do it. If I recall correctly, didn't you have to lay it out & draw it all in pencil, then go over it again in pen, then erase all the pencil?

I did it on some Patent drawings. It was drawn on mylar it's a semitransparent plastic film didn't have to erase. It was painfully slow trying not to smear what was already done.

bk-scouter

Like Don1977, I too am into architectural drafting. Currently use AutoCad in our office (on lay-off now) in 2D for all of our construction drawing work. All commercial work, specializing in movie theaters, grocery retail, fire stations, state armory remodels, etc. I have a seat copy at home that I've used for a few residential projects I've done on the side including our home we live in now. When I first stated out in 1986, I was hand drafting with regular and plastic lead pencils on mylar and vellum paper. Sure do miss doing it! Don, remember hand lettering the long notes on those plans and details ????

I'm being trained on REVIT from a friend of mine. This is an awesome cad program that lets you build a 3D model of the building. It's the "next big thing" in architecture thats already in use around my area.

I love seeing all your guys' 3D modeling images here in this thread.

-BK

SousaKerry

I first learned drafting in High School with pencil, paper and a t square, (we only had two drafting machines) My first exposure to CAD was a really early version of Autocad on an Apple IIe. I then became a machinist, went back to school and took Autocad courses when they first released Autocad for windows. I never finished my degree and went back to being a machinist, then a programmer, then a quality technician, now a mechanical technician in an Engineering dept. When I started my current job 5 years ago they sat me down if front of a new computer loaded with Solidege v19. I ran the tutorials and taught myself how to use it.

Today I am still a mechanical technician but my engineer quit so I do it all myself (till they hire a new one probably be another year at this rate) As far as I am concerned Autocad is glorified etch-a-sketch. The best thing about modeling in 3D is I can model a new machine and do 3 or 4 revisions before I ever make a part. The one big drawback we have is there are a few engineers and designers around here that like to model very expensive parts, because they never consider how the heck is anyone ever going to make the part they design.

Anyways, I am glad I had the background I did so I know how to make better parts that are cheaper to machine, but I will never go back to paper and that damn T square!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah and I still don't have a degree.

Rooster

.... The one big drawback we have is there are a few engineers and designers around here that like to model very expensive parts, because they never consider how the heck is anyone ever going to make the part they design.

Anyways, I am glad I had the background I did so I know how to make better parts that are cheaper to machine, but I will never go back to paper and that damn T square!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah and I still don't have a degree.

Where I work, the engineers have learned to bring me parts that may be tough to machine. I have spent quite a bit of time with them "teaching" them how to tell when a machined feature is hard to make, if not almost impossible. My opinion, any Engineer who designs parts without production input, whether his own experiance or consulted experience is missing a major part of "engineering" the part! Even if the part is machinable, many times a machinist can look at it and save the company a load of money with a simple change.

jdpuller

I added some details to Kerrys trany model it is a complete assy with two halfs and all the parts exept the internals this matches the one we currently have on our puller. I'v been wanting to do this for a while so thanks for jump starting this project guys.

Matt

6557102481_8bbd8f51c3_m.jpg

how do I make the pictures bigger.

jdpuller

6557198153_d9e7d232d5_b.jpg

thats better.

Coadster32

I am a 22+ year machinist myself, and have started out in high school with a drafting table, t-square, and #2 pencil also. Have used auto-cad, solidworks, mastercam, bobcad, and toyed around with featurecam. The models you guys posted in this thread are nothing short of awesome. I designed and machined a chess set from mastercam a few years back, and have done horse-head hood orniments as well.(not to mention parts for work) :hide:

I agree that any engineered part done on a 3-d cad should have input from a machinist. So many times the picture looks perfect, but the end result isn't possible. When time=money, those really nice looking fillets, and fancy edge breaks (at rediculous angles), don't add up. I remember an episode of American Chopper where Jason designed a bike w/o input, and hung the picture on the wall. Rick told him...not possible man. (Jason got Po'd and I think he took another shot of steroids to get him thru it.)

I remember a post where Ian used Googgle sketch-up8. It's a free download, and I toyed with that as well. Quite a nice interface to it, and I wish other modeling software used the same tenique. Check it out...heck it's free, and there's a ton of help and support for it too. Good call Ian :handgestures-thumbupright:

Shuboxlover

At work we use SolidEdge.....to design the BEST freaking ellipsometers in the WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SousaKerry

Ok guys so where are we going to post all our files to share? I would recommend that all files be exported in .stp format so that they can remain compliant across all platforms. You can also post in orriginal format so others with the same software don't have to convert the files, I can't speak for solid works but solidedge really has problems with importing assemblies as .stp files, better to load each individual part file and construct your own assembly.

my 2 cents anyways.

Rooster

I am working on my web site to add a file sharing page for this type of stuff, but will be a few months for that probably.....lots of irons in thee fire.

jdpuller

do we need a special type of page to put the files on?

Rooster

The files can get quite large, so they take room. A standard "freebie" web site won't work.

I also want to make sure it is a "members only" type of exchange. I do not want to open the site up for just anybody to add content!

The biggest hold up in time is simply the amount of projects I have to do, and this one will take some research. Not even sure if the current "level" of web site I has will allow it or if I will have to upgrade.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

The files can get quite large, so they take room. A standard "freebie" web site won't work.

I also want to make sure it is a "members only" type of exchange. I do not want to open the site up for just anybody to add content!

The biggest hold up in time is simply the amount of projects I have to do, and this one will take some research. Not even sure if the current "level" of web site I has will allow it or if I will have to upgrade.

You may want to consider having another site host the files to save on bandwidth. Bandwidth charges can add up quickly. I've found MediaFire.com to be pretty decent. Megaupload.com is also pretty popular. There's a ton of others too.

Guest skinner

...Then once you get into stress analysis, fluid dynamics, casting analysis etc etc, SolidWorks has definitely reduced the amount of work to get results, although at a price. Gone are the days of long-hand formulas, and pages of calculations. The price though, is that you don't really understand where the results come from. When you do it by hand, you can go through and make sure everything is accounted for, how it all comes into play etc, but with SolidWorks, you hit a button and it spits out data....

The brutal reality is, if you can't grasp the relationship between a hand formula and it's numerical counterpart you shouldn't be playing around with COSMOS anyhow, but I agree some 3D CAD extensions do make it really easy for anybody to play Engineer. "Gone are the days of long-hand formulas" - that depends on where you are looking. Even a recent college grad versed in FEA will school you all day long deriving hand calc's and that's not something that will ever diminish. Remember, these apps don't materialize out of thin air. There are young engineers somewhere behind the curtain (who probably can't make very good 2D prints) but they are no dummies. If the basic grasp of fundamental laws lessened with time we would not witness the explosion of numerical tools that we currently have. On the contrary, we are getting much better regardless of how ineloquent these trends appear to some. I agree, there's a portion of the user base that gets lost in the mathemagic but they wouldn't be any better off w/o black box tools so I don't view that as a general regression - you just have to look a little further to see the whole picture.

SousaKerry

I stick to one formula build it heavy if it breaks build it heavier...... but then again I ain never got no fancy degree, and all I do is figure out how to inspect a foam coffee cup and stuff it in a box. Lord help me if Dart Container decides to start building airplanes or something :text-banplz::ROTF: Hey but a new Engineer starts tomorrow and I get to teach him how to use Solid Edge .....YAY!!!!!

chesbaycruiser

Talk about a nightmare....trying to get proper line-weight in ink...ugh!!! :banghead:

mnWHfan

Here are some images of the models that I have made in Solid Edge.

Transaxle3.jpg

TransmissionAssy.jpg

Tractor2.jpg

Tractor4.jpg

• Like 3

DavidD

Now thats impressive. :bow-blue:

Rooster

Very nice work!

SousaKerry

mnWHfan you are the man, would you be willing to share your files? What version are you using I use ST3 do you use the synchronous or did you build them ordered?

mnWHfan

Yes, I would be willing to share. I am using version ST4 and I modeled them using the ordered structure. At this time, I am not a fan of the syncrones style because it is still not as flexible as the ordered for editing. I have been working on it since version 1.0.

jdpuller

mnWHfan have you done anymore on this?

mikekot3

Dennis,
I would like to open your models in Solidworks if you would be willing to share them also.
Thank you,
mike

C-101plowerpower

wow, i wish that is was that good with solid works

T-Mo

Anyone ever created a complete Wheel Horse tractor in 3D?