RPRich

270H for plowing?

RPRich

Knowing this is not a HD garden tractor, is a 270H strong enough to do light snow plowing? I bought it to mow with, but it came with a plow set up, but I am not sure of this size tractor for pushing light snow, when my blower is not needed. Thoughts?

Thanks

Sparky

I would think for light snow (not wet and not deep) it should be alright. When I get the big piles at the edge of the driveway I can move em by ramming them with my C series, I wouldn't recommend that for the 270 you have.

Mike.......

rexman72

I have the 419XT tractor which came after the 270h and i have plowed heavy wet snow on a 200 ft driveway in maine for 9 years now and nothing has stopped it yet.all dressed out its about 1000 pounds by itself.

Knowing this is not a HD garden tractor, is a 270H strong enough to do light snow plowing? I bought it to mow with, but it came with a plow set up, but I am not sure of this size tractor for pushing light snow, when my blower is not needed. Thoughts?

Thanks

refracman

Ive used my 417xt to push it all, my drive is bout 125ft and the path to the shop is bout 200ft. Its also use it in the fall to haul the leaf vac. Its never baulked at the jobs I use it for.

Winter before last.

PictureorVideo028.jpg

• Like 1

TT

Although just as strong as the transaxles used in many lawn tractors used for light snow removal, the early models of the 270-H used a "Tuff-Torq" tranz. Later models used the Hydro-Gear unit - which is also found in the XT models mentioned above. (less problems with the Hydro-Gear) Even if you have the earlier model, don't let that discourage you - there's no doubt that the 270 can & will move snow. :thumbs2:

I still wouldn't recommend direction changes under full power, and operating it like it's a Cat dozer is only asking for problems in any L&G equipment.

Keep an eye on the tranz drive belt too - it's a 4 to 6 hour job to replace one, and much easier if you have seen the routing before the old one breaks and flies off. :hide:

• Thanks 1

squonk

I plowed a crap load of snow for 20 yrs. with a 210-H. Puny tractor with a puny 10 HP Briggs and puny hydro. Even hooked up a Simplicity 42' blower to it. It never failed me. :thumbs: :wh:

rexman72

you are correct in that the hydro gear is stronger then the tuff torq and the xt have a beefier frame then the 270h and the drive belt is much easier then 200 series were.

Although just as strong as the transaxles used in many lawn tractors used for light snow removal, the early models of the 270-H used a "Tuff-Torq" tranz. Later models used th

Hydro-Gear unit - which is also found in the XT models mentioned above. (less problems with the Hydro-Gear) Even if you have the earlier model, don't let that discourage you - there's no doubt that the 270 can & will move snow. :thumbs2:

I still wouldn't recommend direction changes under full power, and operating it like it's a Cat dozer is only asking for problems in any L&G equipment.

Keep an eye on the tranz drive belt too - it's a 4 to 6 hour job to replace one, and much easier if you have seen the routing before the old one breaks and flies off. :hide:

DennisThornton
On 12/11/2011 at 4:27 PM, rexman72 said:

you are correct in that the hydro gear is stronger then the tuff torq and the xt have a beefier frame then the 270h and the drive belt is much easier then 200 series were.

Old thread, but...

Any tips?  I just bought one that needs a drive belt.