Sign in to follow this  
850ford

312-8 seat switch

850ford

My 312-8 will not turn over,the seat switch seams to be broken.Can it be bypassed?,my local dealer doesn't have any in stock.Does anyone have another source,it has 3 prongs for the wire hook-up. Thanks in advance

TT

:WRS:

Do you know the model number of your tractor?

When you say "will not turn over", do you mean that it does nothing when you turn the key to the start position?

850ford

I think the model is 312-8,1989 12HP Kohler,3 speed.I turn the key and get nothing,I had put a shim between the seat and switch to get it to run before,but now the switch top is broken off and it will not start.

TT

OK

Have you checked the fuses?

Do you have a 12V test light or a multimeter?

How about the battery? Is it fully charged? Clean & tight connections? (including all ground wires)

The seat switch has nothing to do with the starting circuit of the tractor.

That circuit is controlled by a switch on the drive belt tensioner arm (clutch pedal must be depressed) and a switch on the PTO engagement lever. (PTO must be disengaged) Previous experience with them tells me that the PTO switch is probably the culprit.

The switches* for the PTO lever are located near the bottom of the right side of the battery. (not real easy to access) You can bypass them with a jumper wire FOR TESTING ONLY. Make sure the tranz is in neutral and the parking brake is applied. Remove the drive belt(s) from any attachment(s) that may be on the tractor.

*You will find two connectors / switches at the PTO lever. One of them is for the start circuit and the other is tied in with the seat switch. Try jumping each connector /switch separately to determine which - if either - switch is faulty.

I can't ever keep the seat switches straight without looking at the schematic, but you can try unplugging it first. If that results in nothing, try a jumper wire between the two terminals in the harness connector. Some switches make contact when the plunger is depressed, others break contact.