Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Are Hydro's Good Pullers?

71_Bronco

I tried doing a search, and looked through this forum, and found nothing.

So are Hydro's any good for pulling? Or is it generally better to have a stick so you can change your gear, as well as your pulley sizes & ratios?

Thanks

Jim_M

I've seen guys try it with a hydro, but none of them ever did a thing. A kid tried a hydro Cub in my class last fall and couldn't even move the sled.

Big Jake

It takes more hp But I pulled a Ford 145 hydro. last year and did ok. But the Ford had hi - low rear I pulled in the stock class Jake

71_Bronco

Thanks guys. Was thinking about doing a little pulling with my Bronco 14 possibly in a stock class after its all restored, but based on this, I think that wouldn't be a great idea lol.

Thanks!

buckeye25

i havent found many wheel horse hydros tha thold up under severe duty for very long especialy while pulling 10 foot 30 inch logs from the woods :ychain: :eusa-think:

stephan07

used a c145 hydro before leave a lot to be desired. 8 spd would be the way to go if you wanted to pull

Rideawaysenior

It all depends. Hydros can and do indeed pull very well. I had a D160 that pulled 5,000 lbs on a weight sled. To boot, it was stock pulled from a drawbar on the 3point hitch and 300 lbs on the front end of the tractor.

I'd say that the Sundstrand pumps are the ones to use, the Eatons have a bypass that is set way too low. I could hardly move a 2,000 sled with my 418-A.

Now compare that to an 8 speed with an 8 pinion rear? I'd say there is none. 8 speed is the way to go.