Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

314 running rough after 30-45 minutes

T-Mo

The last couple of times my 314 has started to run rough after about 30-45 minutes. Until then it runs great, but after then it starts to run a little rough. I pulled the spark plug out and the tip looks okay and is gapped properly. But I was wondering if it was breaking down inside. I'm going to try and pick up a new one to see if that solves the problem.

Next I could try and remove the gas cap when it starts acting up to see if that is the culprit. My JD X320 would die after about 20-30 minutes and it was a clogged fuel cap. The 314 doesn't die, but starts to miss a little or run rough.

I've took off the air cleaner and washed the foam pre-cleaner and knock off off the dirt from the paper filter. Cooling fins look clean. Am I missing something, unless it's the ignition module. :whistle:

nylyon

Is the valve lash adjustable on this engine? Something to check.

MaineDad

Terry,

Do you have an inline fuel filter?

T-Mo

According to the parts catalog, it does. I'll add it to my things to check. BTW, it appears that if it's the ignition module, that costs between $35-$40. :whistle:

MaineDad

When I bought mine it did not have one. I installed it ASAP. May be a fuel problem?

kpinnc

My 310 used to act that way too Tmo.

The fuel line had weather cracked, and it would not hold a "prime" from the pump.

Also, I had some condensation in the fuel tank, and the bowl on the carb was getting water in it.

Just a couple things to check...

Kevin

T-Mo

I put a new spark plug in, got the air cleaner all nice and clean, check all the cooling fins for good measure. Ran it this evening for over an hour and it was running fine, then it started cutting out, almost dying. It seems to do this more under load. I remove the fuel cap thinking that might be the problem, no help. So it's either fuel related, i.e. fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel lines or maybe it's the ignition module. Whatever it is, it won't show itself until after using it for a while, tonight it ran fine for over an hour before it started acting up.

CasualObserver

Hey T-MO Sounds more heat related to me... if it was a fuel problem it shouldn't take an hour to show up. Plugged fuel lines, vacuum in the lines, bad fuel pump, clogged filter, fuel sediment... these are all things that are quicker to present problems. I think you're more on track with the ignition.... just my twocents.gif

T-Mo

Jason,

That was what I was thinking also, that if it's fuel related it show up before running it for an hour, or half an hour. But, I'm open to anything - I know my JD320 was running fine for 30-45 minutes then would try to die. It turn out to be a clogged fuel cap. But I'm thinking ignition module. Might have to just spring for one ($35-$40). The only other thing would be what Kevin described. Though I would think that would happen after just a few moments, not an hour. :whistle:

T-Mo

I hadn't had the time to really look at the problem yet, but.....When I was moving it out of the way yesterday, the problem immediately show up in just a couple of minutes. Maybe fuel related....? I'm going to change the fuel filter and then see what happens.

kpinnc

Hey T Mo, I'd definately dump the sediment bowl while you're at it.

What you've described (starts trying to die after a few minutes at first, more so under a load, and then almost immediately after a while) is exactly what mine did.

Might get lucky...

Kevin

TT

T-MO, does that engine have a fuel cut-off solenoid on the carburetor? (float bowl) B)

T-Mo

Thanks, Kevin. At first I was leaning away from a fuel problem, but since it happened almost immediately yesterday has me rethinking the problem. I have to trouble shoot this thing down, starting with the filter, bowl, pump and then move on to the ignition module when I exhausted the fuel related items. I just don't want to being throwing money at parts that may not be the problem. I.e, the ignition module is $35-$40, the pump $35, etc. So I'll change out the filter and do the other checks first before I move onto the higher priced items. Now I'm really leaning towards fuel related until I'm proven wrong.

HorseFixer

Bill P made mention at the show in his tech session that sometimes fuel line can like rot from the inside and have like a flap B) causing it to block off the fuel flow. He reccomends starting at the tank and working back twords the carb looking for any possible flow problems! B) See Bill I was paying attention! :whistle:

Duke

T-Mo

TT,

I'm not sure, I would need to check and see if it has a fuel shut off solenoid.

Duke,

Kevin mentioned that he had some dry rotted fuel lines that cause a similar problem, so it's on my list of things to check.

T-Mo

Just an update:

I put in a new fuel filter last week and ran the tractor for about 30 minutes with no problems. Today I mowed the grass for over an hour and a half in 90 plus degrees, again with no problems. Must have been the fuel filter. B)