Sign in to follow this  
Hydro

Wheel Horse shopping Black Friday

Hydro

Came down to do my winter shopping on Black Friday. Started out in Shippensburg PA to pick up a 416-8 then drove to Drums PA to pick up a 2 stage blower and after that up to Binghamton NY to buy wheels, weights, tires, hubs and a 520 front axle and steering gear. post-5559-0-42493000-1322536502_thumb.jppost-5559-0-10026700-1322536543_thumb.jppost-5559-0-65521800-1322536607_thumb.jp

Let it snow

Let it snow

zieg72

Nice haul, I am a big fan of the gear reduction steering for sure.

Hydro

I have never had it but did drive a 520 once with it. I will adapt it to one of mine not sure yet which one. It will really help with that blower

Kelly

Looks like a nice haul, I see the front end has a hub conversion, and the Vredestein tires on it, I'm thinking of buying a set of them.

Pollack Pete

Now thats the kind of black Friday shopping to do.I like the 416-8 and 2 stage blower.Nice load of horse stuff.

Hydro

Do you guys think the manual lift will work with the 2 stage? I have a 314H and when I saw the chance to get the 16 Kohler I grabbed it thinking I might just put 16 on the 314. I have never had a manual before and like it. Also never have to let the transmission warm up like the Hydros. The blower is not attached yet ... not sure which one to put it on?

rexman72

i bet that two stage is about 360 pounds and manual lift will work but you better have a strong arm.

Do you guys think the manual lift will work with the 2 stage? I have a 314H and when I saw the chance to get the 16 Kohler I grabbed it thinking I might just put 16 on the 314. I have never had a manual before and like it. Also never have to let the transmission warm up like the Hydros. The blower is not attached yet ... not sure which one to put it on?

can whlvr

nice haul gary,id put her on the 314 because of the lift and they are more speed controlled ,but i havnt had a 2 stage and maybe the 8 speed low will be slow enough,do you have a plow too

baerpath

The two stage lifts the same as a single stage. Just put the lift spring on and let it do the work. Very easy to lift

Duane

JoeMonag

I bought a "97 two stage in Jan. 2010, that was on a 314-H. I initially put it on mty 310-8, that I had had a plow on. I learned quick you still need a plow for those slush storms blowers can't handle. So in the spring of 2010 I picked up a sorry old 416-8 and ended up having the engine rebuilt. I installed the two stage onthe 416,and it got a real work out with the over 55" of snow we got last winter. The two stage onthe 416 is an absolute beast.

The two stage models have a large heavy spring that you pre-load as you install the blower, that along with the lift support spring make it easy to lift the blower.I find it easier to lift than my 42" dozer blade onthe 310. If you need the manual for the two stage I have as a pdf I down loaded from Toro.

BTW the two stage is listed as weighing 380lbs.Be sure you have the anti-sway bar installed, it keeps the belt from rubbing against the hood. I had 55 lb wheel weight on each rear wheel and I made a weight box to slide into my 2" receiver to counter balance the heavy two stage. With my massive 5'6" 150lb.(lol) frame I needed more weight. If you don't have a cab, make sure you have some SkI goggles, and fowl gear for when the wind shifts. Good luck with your two stage.

Joe in Norton, MA

ericj

I've had my 2 stage blower on both manual lift and hydro lifts, the manual lift isn't bad.I prefer the hydro lift for the in between selections of heights, the manual trans would allow lower hp tractor to run the blower. I've heard of 2 stage being on 12 hp tractors but I would not recommend any thing less than 16 hp. I've had mine on a 18 hp onan and put it on a 520H this year with the gear reduction steering and just from moving it around it make a difference . I highly recommend the gear reduction steering and heavy spindals with the blower. have fun and enjoy it will do a great job.

Hydro

Thank's guys, interesting the different points of view. I am fortunate to have options. I have ag's, 10.50 tires, loaded plus weights and I am over 200 lbs so that should take care of the rear weight issue but if that is not enough I have made a rear hitch which will handle a couple of suitcase weights. I also have chains if I need them.

I have a lot of respect for the 16 Kohler single and the torque it will produce. I think to start out I will use the 14 until I go over this 416. I also bought a 520 front axle and the gear reduction steering. I will get that installed later. I am a bit torn about how far to go with that only because I prefer the narrower front axle in order to mow around things and get in a little closer. I had a '90 520 before and that was the one thing I did not like about it (48" deck)

Joe I have a manual and I will make sure I install the anti sway bar thanks for your advice.

Hodge71

Hmmm...that blower looks familiar :ychain: I dont recall that tractor having ags on it either when it left my house. Didnt waste any time did ya? :banana-tux: Youre a great guy. I'm glad we met and that you and your wife made it home ok.

Hydro

Thanks Jeff. It was a pleassure doing business with you. Don't forget to let us all know when the new arrival comes along. We will have to try out the Chat feature on our new site!

rustynut

nice lookint tractor.

Hydro

Thanks it has 335 hours on it, 1988, hour meter works and it runs like a charm. My first 8 speed. Lovin it.

Lane Ranger
hydro 314 Looks to me like you had more of a RED FRIDAY than a black one !

can whlvr

so how is the 416 gary,with that few of hours she is like new,i have a pair of 414-8 with kohlers and they are really nice,i think its a perfect machine for all uses,and it has the kohler,hope it treats you good