Sign in to follow this  
joedavis

charger 12 More speed ????

joedavis

I have a charger 12 that I am playing with, it will only have a hitch on the back and no pto at all. My question is, has anyone ever used the drive pulley from a stick on the automatic to make the tractor faster? If so how much shorter should the belt be?The drive pulley from the stick is 5 and 1/4" and the automatic is 4"in diameter which if I figured correctly that would be about 24% increase in speed. I would like to be able to keep up with a farm tractor. What do you think???

Sparky

I think you have it backwards. The pulley on a manual tractor is the smaller one and larger on the auto.

I dont think pulley size will make an auto go any faster since your just spinning the hydro pump faster and not the actual transmission whereas upping the pulley on a manual tractor will make it faster.

Get yourself a manual tractor if speed is what your after. I have a 656 with a 5hp Honda and a larger than stock pulley on the motor. Its not a race car but is definily hitting 10-11 MPH which beats the 607MPH it did before.

Mike........

Rollerman

Wow Mike....607 MPH on a 656? :dunno:

Sparky

Opps....tryin to watch Bait Car on TV and type in 6-7 MPH in my post at the same time.

Need to focus :dunno: .

Mike.......

joedavis

Sparky I did put the sizes backwards and speeding up the pump won't make it go faster?

Rollerman

Joe with a hydrostatic trans by swaping pullies, your not mechanically makeing the trans spin faster like you would if you had a manual trans.

Your just over spinning your hydro pump which will just lead to pump failure, not any more ground speed.

COMMANDO1

I WOULD LIKE TO PUT A LARGER PULLY ON MY COMMANDO.8....ANYONE HAVE ONE

c161rat

I have a charger 12 that I am playing with, it will only have a hitch on the back and no pto at all. My question is, has anyone ever used the drive pulley from a stick on the automatic to make the tractor faster? If so how much shorter should the belt be?The drive pulley from the stick is 5 and 1/4" and the automatic is 4"in diameter which if I figured correctly that would be about 24% increase in speed. I would like to be able to keep up with a farm tractor. What do you think???

Joe, check out this thread on speeding up your horse. as was previously stated in this thread it is not recomended to change the pulleys on a hydro to make it go faster http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php/topic/30775-speed-up-your-horse/page__fromsearch__1