Sign in to follow this  
hemidarts

Raider 10 wont start

Rooster

If you find you need any parts for that, I have a Raider 9 I am getting ready to pull the Tecumseh out of.

Was supposed to have run when parked...but I have not messed with it.

hemidarts

Ok thank you Rooster! I will have to find someone to test my mag.

Rooster

Did you try a new plug?

can whlvr

i was thinking the same thing as rooster,if you have spark and are putting fuel into the cylinder it should fire unless the plug is not giving a good enough spark

hemidarts

Yes i bought a brand new plug a week ago. This just puzzles me why it wont start or backfire or something.

Rooster

Ok thank you Rooster! I will have to find someone to test my mag.

grab the plug wire...turn the engine over....easiest test there is...lol!

hemidarts

LOL!!!!! well i guess i have done that test and didnt even know it. When i was checking spark the other day, i held the plug wire and it zapped me a little. It was a nice little tingling sensation! :eek:

hemidarts

Well i went out and played with it. I was able to get the spark plug wire to shock me at 1 point. I was also able to get it to back fire and almost start. I filled up the gas tank full with brand new fuel, and it would appear the fuel is not making its way down to the fuel pump. I have a gravity line in place. Gravity pulls the fuel down to the fuel filter, and the fuel filter goes right on to the fuel pump. I had the fuel pump rebuilt last year. I dont see the fuel pouring into the fuel filter. There is a little bit of fuel in it, but its not full.

can whlvr

if i were you id run a line right from the inlet side on the carb to a tank that you can hold over the engine,then you bypass the orig tank,which could have a plugged screen or valve,and the fuel pump,if it funs you know you have problems some where between fuel pump and tank

tunahead72

if i were you id run a line right from the inlet side on the carb to a tank that you can hold over the engine,then you bypass the orig tank,which could have a plugged screen or valve,and the fuel pump,if it funs you know you have problems some where between fuel pump and tank

I like this idea, but I'm curious about something else....

Is this your current fuel line and filter setup?

IMAG0574.jpg

This photo looks like your filter sits a little higher than the section of line between the tank and the rear of the engine. If that's the case, it might explain why your filter isn't completely full (although mine don't necessarily stay full, even when they're completely below the level of the tank). Do you have enough play in that line to reposition it so the filter fills completely, you might just have an air lock that's blocking the flow of fuel.

For that matter, if you can get a gravity flow all the way from the tank to the carb, I don't know why you'd need a pump anyway, but I confess I don't know a lot about the Tecumseh engines. Did the engine run well after you had the fuel pump rebuilt last year?

Also, is it possible the filter is installed backwards, maybe that's causing a problem. :dunno:

And is your carb clean? I can't tell from the photo, does your carb have mixture screws?

wildman

Looks like the fuel filter is on backwards.

hemidarts

Thanks for the input guys!

I took that picture last week. And yes that is how it was routed. I noticed the other day, the fuel filter was on backwards. So both of you have good eyes! Now i put that new filter on last year, and ironically it ran fine up until it wouldnt start recently when i thought i had electrical problems.

The other day i turned the filter around the proper way. It did not start. Now i plan on doing 2 things. I plan on unhooking the line coming out of the fuel pump and going into the carb. I am going to see if it is pumping fuel out when i crank the engine. I also plan on trying the trick of running the engine off of a bottle of fuel like was mentioned earlier. I dont find much time to go out and work in the cold garage. But i think i will go out in the morning- afternoon.

I thank you guys again for all your help!!! :bow-blue:

hemidarts

Ok so now i am baffled and aggrevated.

I pull the fuel line off of the carb that is coming off of the fuel pump.I hit the key and the fuel pump is pumping fuel into my jug. So the fuel pump is working and getting fuel.

So i decide to hold the spark plug wire again and see if it will shock me. I get nothing. I drain the battery trying to get it to shock me.

I get the battery on the charger and pull the spark plug. I get spark for a second. Then nothing. I switch spark plugs, nothing.

My spark is coming and going as it pleases. So i am back to wondering if i need a magneto?

What all is involvled with getting to the magneto and changing it?

hemidarts

I went out today and took the cover off of the flywheel. I took the big nut off of the flywheel and it looks like i need a puller to get the flywheel off.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Do i need a puller for the flywheel.

2. Do i need to take the flywheel off, is the magneto behind the flywheel?

3. What is the box that is attached to the spark plug wire, and could it be my problem?

I have attached some pictures here of what i am talking about.

I have never worked on a tractor before, so i apologize if my questions are really stupid!

IMAG0582.jpg

IMAG0581.jpg

IMAG05801.jpg