Sign in to follow this  
jake22si

89 414-8 wont crank

jake22si

I am having trouble with a 414-8 that I just got. It has electric lift. The engine will not crank with the key, runs fine jumping 2 large posts and engine shuts down with pto on and get off the seat. So those 2 switches should be good. oil light blinks when I test. have power at small wire to solenoid, new solenoid. can i bypass the oil switch to test and would that prevent engine from cranking or does it just prevent spark? Also having trouble with wire colors, I have a red wire and black wire to small terminals, black with blue stripe with a orange wire going to a relay, these colors dont match any diagrams but appear to be stock connectors and wires :dunno: also have 10v to solenoid wire and 12 with clutch depressed so that switch works as well

can whlvr

well it sounds like either a bad safty switch,which you can make jumpers to test,or the soliniod it self,they do go bad quite often,you can test that by using juper cables,(be careful not to short out thecables,one from the starter post,one from the battery side of the solinoid,sit on the tractor,turn the key on and touch the cables together,if it turns over you know the saftys are good and its the solinoid,they are cheap,i got one last month for 12 bucks at the toro dealer,can be got at most auto supply stores too,just sometimes they dont mount the same so i use oem,it is possible that its the ignition too,sounds like the solinoid to me

wallfish

If you are getting 12v to the small post on the solenoid then it should activate. Make sure it is grounded good and check all the connections on it. It could be a dud solenoid.

jake22si

It seems I am getting voltage to both small posts, is it supposed to or grounding issue?

jake22si

fixed it. bad ground to solenoid