varosd

Roxy-Bonner Gang Reel Mower Overhaul

varosd

I know I should be getting the ST ready...but got one gang reel done...2 more to go!!

Before:

gangreel1.jpg

After:

gangreel2.jpg

shoulderbolt.jpg

Looks like a plain shoulder bolt with grease fitting on the outside of the wheel rim..no bearings..how do I keep the bearing grease from being squeezed out onto the rim? I dont see any seals?

My wife thinks I'm nuts... de-rusting, primer, painting..just to "cut the grass" :dunno:

• Like 2

Sparky

Looks like yer off to a great start! Are you getting them sharpened as you go?

Mike........

varosd

I am going to get them spin and relief grinded at a turf/golf mantainence shop in Lebanon, PA. the PO didnt keep them back lapped and the bed knife will need adjustment, so the best way is to bring them in and they remove the reel portion and mount it up to sharpen it up, then re-install and adjust the reel to bed knife for a razor cut. A bit expensive, but they were free and after they are done, all you have to do is back lap the blades. It's hard to find a place that does this work, you have to find a place that does all the reelmowers that cut the golf course greens.

squonk

I know I should be getting the ST ready...but got one gang reel done...2 more to go!!

Before:

gangreel1.jpg

After:

gangreel2.jpg

shoulderbolt.jpg

Looks like a plain shoulder bolt with grease fitting on the outside of the wheel rim..no bearings..how do I keep the bearing grease from being squeezed out onto the rim? I dont see any seals?

My wife thinks I'm nuts... de-rusting, primer, painting..just to "cut the grass" :wh:

We are nuts! I did this just to push snow and gravel! :dunno:

Image0078.jpg

DSCF1073.jpg

TT

Looks like a plain shoulder bolt with grease fitting on the outside of the wheel rim..no bearings..how do I keep the bearing grease from being squeezed out onto the rim?

You don't - lubrication is far more important than shiny paint if you intend to use these mowers. The previous owner of my R-B gangs must have been allergic to a grease gun. Along with loose wheels, I also have bad reel shafts & bearings to contend with, pawls that are worn almost to the point of not grabbing, and all 6 rear roller bearings that need replaced.

As far as the spin grinding goes, that is what I intended to do with mine before I realized their hidden flaws. The blade face isn't really wide enough to justify a relief grind - especially on a light-duty 5 blade reel at a relatively high HOC. (height of cut)

I was also going to true up my bedknives, but the protruding screw heads will make it a challenge to fasten to "my" Foley grinder. (I did have a plan though)

I have somewhere around 35 reels to service / sharpen this winter at work, so I doubt that I'll be doing anything with my own. :dunno:

hounddoghundzsa

I got one of those with a Horse a couple years ago. Honestly, I thought sombody fabricated it! I guess I'm gonna have to take a better look at it! I was gonna scrap it! :dunno:

varosd

Wow! the new website is great!!

Terry, I agree, lubrication is better than paint. boy, When I got my ST, the chain and auger had more rust on it than my old 72 Nova! I ended up just replacing the chain from TSC.

DemoBoy

Good morning, 

I realize this thread is 5 years old but I am looking for the pinion gear for my gang reel. Any chance anyone could help me out with this?

Rick McNally

I have a Roxy 3 gang mower and need some advice with getting parts and service if anyone can help.  The one thing I need is a Pawl that is needed to engage the pinion gear and Roxy Turf Equipment no longer seems to be around.

Rick McNally