Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Do I really need that gasket...

71_Bronco

The one that goes between the carb and the air cleaner bottom?

I just found a NOS air cleaner assembly for my K91, but I am missing the little gasket that goes between the carb and air cleaner assembly. If I do, will that liquid gasket stuff work as long as I am super careful not to get any into the carb itself?

I looked at my Bronco 14 motor (a Kohler as well) and there is no gasket when I am talking about.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

TT

You can always make one. If you don't have gasket material, a notebook cover or a cereal box are really good donors.

EdG.

"cereal box are really good donors"

Well that's a good one, I would have never thought about doing that.

Good reason to keep on reading this forum, I learn all the time.

Ed

71_Bronco

You can always make one. If you don't have gasket material, a notebook cover or a cereal box are really good donors.

Good idea on the donor material, got quite a few cereal boxes kicking around.

So judging by your responses, it sounds like I don't need the kohler gasket per-say, but should put something between the parts?

EDIT: Thanks for the help so far guys!

TT

Long story short, it needs sealed. Don't take a chance of letting unfiltered air into the engine.

Silicone gasket maker could be used by itself, but in some cases, the air cleaner base screws will bottom out on the choke shaft without the extra thickness of that gasket.

71_Bronco

Long story short, it needs sealed. Don't take a chance of letting unfiltered air into the engine.

Silicone gasket maker could be used by itself, but in some cases, the air cleaner base screws will bottom out on the choke shaft without the extra thickness of that gasket.

Thanks allot! I'll be sure to make one up now. I appreciate all the help.

Was looking at the gasket sets for the K91's, the "overhaul gasket set" type ones, with all the gaskets in the motor, and it includes the air cleaner one. Since I will be tearing it down anyways to do the gaskets, and I need to get a gasket set anyways, I'll just pony up the cash for one of these kits and get it all.

Thanks!

shootinok

6395148893_8b78c8a13a.jpg

:dunno: :wh:

hounddoghundzsa

I learned the gasket lesson years ago. Spent a crap load of time cleaning and rebuilding a carb. I then put it back on the tractor skipping out on one of the gaskets. Then I spent three days trying to get the dang thing adjusted right. Finally gave in took it back off slapped the flipping gasket on and the thing ran perfect. :dunno: TRUST MEE it's not worth it - it'll just cost you in the end.

Tip for making the gasket:

Hold the cardboard/gasket material on carb. Take a SMALL ballping hammer and LIGHTLY peck on the gasket material around the perimeter of the flange. This will make a perfect impression of the flange on the cardboard. I usually cut out everything with an exacto knife, then use a drill to make the holes for the bolts. Good luck

TT

The ball peen hammer trick also works great when trimming masking tape on castings before painting.

I do have a set of "store-bought" hole cutting punches (up to 1/2"), but have also used sharpened ends of tubing for bigger holes.

hounddoghundzsa

Those punches work great. We use them at work on conveyer belts.

wingrider

Isn't it amazing how such a little thing can bring up all of these great replies. To me it proves that you really need to read every

post even if it doesn't interest you. When you read it you are going to end up learning something to remember later on.

WOW

Wingrider

Giles

In a situation like this, I always ask--'If it was not needed, the manufacturer sure wouldn't use it"

Just like a part that has five bolts that attach it--If it didn't need five, they would cut manufacturing cost by using less :dunno:

Retired Wrencher

:dunno: :wh: It is like Terry said I try to make my own all the time with cork, I use 2 different thickness, for what I need in the old days cork was the only stuff around. Gary B................

tommy3horse

Hello;

TSC has gasket material in sheets, cheap too! Several thicknesses and materials.

Tom

:dunno:

Stigian

I learned the gasket lesson years ago. Spent a crap load of time cleaning and rebuilding a carb. I then put it back on the tractor skipping out on one of the gaskets. Then I spent three days trying to get the dang thing adjusted right. Finally gave in took it back off slapped the flipping gasket on and the thing ran perfect. :dunno: TRUST MEE it's not worth it - it'll just cost you in the end.

I think you might of just solved why my Raiders engine is not running right :wh:

I made a new carb to engine gasket but totally forgot about the air cleaner to carb gasket!!