Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorse701

K-91 with no spark

wheelhorse701

Just thought i would post this if anyone else has come accross the same problem..

I had a problem with my rj (no spark) :WRS: .. after i went over everything and everythign checked ok i started asking some people at the whcc show. i found out that the plug wire into the coil is only pushed in.. (thank you Bill Jenkins :whistle: ) i pushed it back in and used some silicone sealent and everything worked fine again..

also check to see if the coil is hitting the magnets at all. if it is then it is gounding itself through the magnets..

Just thought i would share what i found out.. im sure most already knew but this drove me crazy for a week and i couldn't ride around my rj at the show :D

• Excellent 1

TT

Excellent advice on the plug wire, Kevin. I've run in to that a few times myself.

One thing worth mentioning is that the old magneto ignition equipped K-90 / K-91 (and some 141/161) engines use the rotor style magnet mounted directly to the crankshaft, independent of the flywheel. The clearance between the magnet rotor and the armature of the ignition coil is tight enough that when main bearing wear occurs, the air gap can decrease enough that the magnetic field will no longer be generated. A sure sign of this problem is heavy scrape marks on the magnet rotor. (dirt/chaff build-up will also cause marks on the rotor)

It is wise to check the main bearing "play" and the rotor-to-armature clearance in these engines any time the flywheel is removed or the magneto assembly has been removed and reinstalled for any reason. :whistle:

BTW..... :WRS:

• Excellent 1