meadowfield

...well those tyres I scored certainly were hard (8 ply) with no give :ranting:

My dad kindly removed the old ones last week.

S5005118.jpg

S5005121.jpg

note the severely cracked sidewalls.

We have a go late sunday with the tyre machine and there was absolutely no chance of them going on, but going back to the old fashioned way with 3 tyre levels and brute force they went on pretty easily. :D (sorry about the poor photography, it was getting late)

IMG-20120310-00398.jpg

a few PSI later and they were seated - we reckon we will run with just enough air to key the tube in place. These things are pretty solid and will not give the best ride, but they were a quarter of the price they should be.

• Like 1

meadowfield

My star mechanic has been busy !

S4025229.jpg

S4025232.jpg

hell those tyres look good ! even if they won't bend!!!!!!!!

and yes I know it won't drive well with those invisible eccentric hubs

:ychain:

wh1257

what brand of tires you have now chosen

Hodge71

Mark, I can tell you from experience those tires wont give. I have a set of 6 plys on my 1973 18 auto and I've aired them down to 10 psi and I can probably go more. Once I get the tractor back together I will start trying to find the right presssure for ride/longevity. But I bet 10 psi would be a good start for you even thought the GT 14 is a bit lighter than a D.

meadowfield

what brand of tires you have now chosen

they are BKT.

Mark, I can tell you from experience those tires wont give. I have a set of 6 plys on my 1973 18 auto and I've aired them down to 10 psi and I can probably go more. Once I get the tractor back together I will start trying to find the right presssure for ride/longevity. But I bet 10 psi would be a good start for you even thought the GT 14 is a bit lighter than a D.

I can agree !!! With 10 psi they have no give - I will probably drop to 2-3 psi just to keep the tubes in place. Once the moldboard plow goes on the back and my 200lbs is added I think i might see some movement :D

farmer

Are you going to put it to work in a quarry Mark ? :ychain: I gather you like the odd Yorkshire,....but 8 PLY :jaw::lol:

meadowfield

for the amount of guinness I#ve just consumed and a curry for tea and then supper - 8 ply is about right.... :laughing-rofl:

meadowfield

Had big plans to bolt the hydro back on today, but ended up being distracted!!!

When I removed the back end I I removed the belt, idler and handbrake mechanism. I picked up the pieces today and looked at the elongated holes and destroyed bushings and decided to make a reasonable job of refitting them.

So came a bit of lathe work (pics not up to stigs standards though)

IMG-20120316-00407.jpg

and voila ! two larger, more substantial top hat bushes. Well one of them...

bush.jpg

The elongated holes were drilled out and the new bushes pressed in. The result being a very tight and precise linkage. :)

IMG-20120316-00412.jpg

mark

massey

It' coming along nice, I like the looks of those GT14's. Keep up the good work.

meadowfield

well things went good yesterday and the transmission is back together and working well !

5 litres of oil were used in the end - by the time the lift cylinder is full it just about works out...

wheeledhorseman

Nice one Mark, :handgestures-thumbup:

A bit jealous of course (when I saw it go in reverse) but I'm working on my 'D' - It will go backwards :deadhorse:

Andy

meadowfield

Nice one Mark, :handgestures-thumbup:

A bit jealous of course (when I saw it go in reverse) but I'm working on my 'D' - It will go backwards :deadhorse:

Andy

cheers !

The more you look at things, if it goes forward and not reverse it can only be a simple fault (relatively). You have overcome 90% of the mechanics if it goes forward - i.e. pump works, motor works !

Reverse can only be control lever not moving far enough or the reverse valve. Mechanically theres nothing else left (unless you have connecting the reverse movement to the brakes) :ychain:

Stigian

Love those tires Mark, do you mind me asking how much you paid (roughly) for them?

Good to see the trans back on and working well, there's no stopping you now :handgestures-thumbup:

bowtiebutler956

I was pretty proud of my deestone AG tires until I saw these. :scared-eek: Now they seem a little inadequate. :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

meadowfield

Ian,

hehe - tyres were £50....

for the pair !!!

should have been £113 plus VAT EACH !!, guy was struggling to get rid of them :)

Hodge71

Its looking good Mark. Congrats on the progress.

AMC RULES

Mechanics, fabrication, and now video skills...looks like Ian(Stigian) has some competition over there. :ychain:

meadowfield

Mechanics, fabrication, and now video skills...looks like Ian(Stigian) has some competition over there. :ychain:

hmm, I can keep up with the mechanics and fabrication - I'm a bit behind on video... Ian has 20 vids on youtube with titles and credits... all you get on mine is a northern accent :D:D and some action !

Stigian

Ian,

hehe - tyres were £50....

for the pair !!!

should have been £113 plus VAT EACH !!, guy was struggling to get rid of them :)

I was going to ask if you could get any more of those tires at that price, until I watched your vid again and noticed they were 27's!! A bit too big to fit on 6X6!

When you refilled the hydro trans how did you get all the air out the system? Is it self bleeding?

A bit of competition is always healthy :D

hmm, I can keep up with the mechanics and fabrication - I'm a bit behind on video... Ian has 20 vids on youtube with titles and credits... all you get on mine is a northern accent :D:D and some action !

Come on Mark, release the hidden "Spielberg" that's lurking within :D

AMC RULES

There you go...that's what I'm sayin'. :thumbs:

C'mon Mark...lights. camera, and... :popcorn:

meadowfield

Ian,

without trying to compete with your multi quote skills also... :ychain:

system self bleeds - at 700psi the air just escapes into the transmission housing and is replaced by fluid (well the side under pressure is)

It only takes one full cycle of the lift cylinder and that's it !

re: tyres - I did think they were a little large :laughing-rofl:

meadowfield

Well another week has passed and I had big plans... an MOT fail on the land rover slowed me down, but here goes !

Firstly I thought I would get the 3 point complete and make a frame for the clevis mount and a tow ball.

IMG_1411.jpg

the original holes in the top lift arms are way too big for my new arms so they needed filling!

IMG-20120330-00512.jpg

some 1" bar was cleaned up and drilled in order to tap the threads.

IMG-20120330-00513.jpg

An M12 thread was cut to take the nice stainless CSK screws I have.

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

All went together very nicely !

Attention turned to making a frame...

IMG_1422.jpg

me fatha reckons his weldings not that good, but this looked pretty good to me :)

IMG_1421.jpg

some big holes (16mm) were drilled for the top link pin !

IMG_7137.jpg

and voila !!!! works very well too... :icecream:

...so then I thought I'd have a looked at the exhaust

IMG_1424a.jpg

which is shot...

So we tried to undo the fitting on the pipe nipple

IMG_7130.jpg

which snapped straight off in the block !!!! :banghead:

Some prudence and care with an old wood chisel got the old bits out - which were only in by around 2 threads ?!? is that normal?

So now I'm running with no exhaust - which sounds pretty cool under load :grin:

Any how that was it for the day and I decided to take it from dads workshop back to mine for some further fettling :)

Drove it off the trailer fine - then tried to start it - nothing ! solenoid clicks but not turning the starter. The thing must have started and stopped hundred times in the last few weeks and now the solenoid dies!!! :angry-banghead:

Nothing for it...

one of the electrodes was pretty gone... but with the knowledge they can be reversed, I turned them upside down and gave it all a good clean !

IMG_7128.jpg

IMG_7133.jpg

and we are up and running again !!

mark

Trouty56

Mark, you sure would be a good neighbor to have. Seems like you can fix anything!! Nice A frame for the 3 pt.....dang it!! I got to work on my welding. Your's looks like a caulking bead....mine looks like a bad case of acne......

Raider10

Keep telling him to get a welder bought but he wont have none of it. He wouldnt get half as much done if me and our dad didnt have all the tackle. not much we cant mend between us though. Mechanics and fabricating at our house and electronic wizardry at marks house.

Bring it on.

Ian.

meadowfield

don't need a welder if you have one!!!!! :P