Sign in to follow this  
speedy

Wheel Horse- Work Horse

speedy

Hello all just lookin for some help, I picked up a GT-1142 work horse, wheel horse. It is missing the air filter assembly and has a few small holes in the deck. Looks like it needs some belts also. It will run with a litttle starting fluid but I think carb needs to be cleaned, doesent sound like its geting fuel or maybe the float is stuck.

Again this is my first Horse and any help would be appreciated-thanks speedy

T-Mo

Hi, Speedy.

:WRS:

First off, you can get parts either through a Toro dealer or by checking the links section here.

First thing to do is be sure you're getting fuel to the carb. Be sure the fuel line and fuel tank isn't clogged. I'm not familar with the GT-1142, but I do know it has a Briggs engine on it and I would assume a fuel pump. Be sure the fuel pump is working. After all that checks out, give the carb a good cleaning. Also be sure it's adjusted properly. You can find service manuals available on some Briggs engines by going to their website.

The Work Horses are good, sturdy units. There are some members here who have one. Maybe one to them, or someone more knowledgeable in engines, will jump in here.

Again, welcome to the site. :whistle:

speedy

Thank you for your suggestions and I didnt know it had a fuel pump, thats new to me.

T-Mo

I believe the fuel tank is under the fender pan in back so it has to have some type of fuel delivery. Gravity fed won't work, so a fuel pump is necessary. Let me go find the parts diagram. :whistle:

T-Mo

Okay, here's the parts list for your engine. The fuel pump is shown on page 15, it's item number 387.

Teddy da Bear

Welcome to the Forum!

Where can you get service like that??

Treed has the source and even gets you to the page!

Now if he would just come over and figure out this darn electric horse I have.... :whistle:

speedy

You guys are great thanks for all your help and i was able to order the airfilter assembly for the horse today. Gonna check the fuel pump out tonight and pull the deck and see what it needs.Ofcourse, need to see if it is getting fuel first.--thank you again.

HorseFixer

:D Welcome to RedSquare Speedy! Service with a smile :D If ya need any help along the way there are many here that are willing to lend you a helping :WRS: hand or hands :whistle:

Duke

speedy

obviously if no fuel is coming to the carb then check filter and tank and pump. how does the pump work is it electric????

TT

If it still has the original rectangular Briggs pump, it is a pulse pump that works off of crankcase vacuum / pressure.

Last I checked, the OEM pump rebuild kits were NLA, but there are complete new replacement pumps available for just a little more than what the kits were selling for.

It's probably not a bad idea to replace the fuel line, shut-off valve and grommet, and the filter before you dig in to it too deep. That will save you many future headaches. :whistle:

JosephC

Hello there and welcome to the site. I have a 1982 Workhorse GT1142 and the one problem that I found is that the fuel pump diaphram has maybe a pin hole in it. I found this from my own bad luck from setting in a garage for 3 to 4 years. I got a rebuild kit for my pump from the horse dealer and have not had a problem since ( about 10 yrs.) except for my air leaking around the carb shaft bushings. I cured my problem with the carb bushings by replacing the carb with one off an old and I mean old like made in the 50's old cast iron Briggs. My next door neighbor's uncle has a large collection of old briggs,techumsa, clinton,and maytag motors and a lot of NOS and new parts that were never sold in his repair shop. :whistle:

wse100

WOO HOO! Another "GREY HORSE" Eventually these Red, And Black Tractor Guys will recognize us with the Power of GREY! :WRS:

Grey are horses too! :D:whistle:

Any way :D , Stick around and these guys will help get you up and running!

Rod(NASNUT)

Hi speedy and :whistle: and you know :WRS::D :D

speedy

Ok new update! the horse runs! but it needs new fuel lines like you guys said and it will only run in full throttle or choke mode. It sounds really good. But the fuel pump was plugged,, so I cleaned it and changed the fuel filter and plug and it started.at first I was shooting carb cleaner in the carb to keep it running but once the fuel started to hit the carb it ran.

I was able to pull the deck of and I did run the deck and it didnt shake or anything it just needs the two holes fixed and some blades sharpened. Along with some tlc and grease. Belts are ok and I did drive it a little and the transaxles seems good to, it pulled the front wheels of the ground--lol My father is coming up tonight and he has always had a horse, he has a 1986 0r 7 I believe. but mine is Grey! ya baby! his is red. grey is cool didnt know they made them in grey.

Anyway I think she will be ok she just needs some help and the fact that it was given to me is the best part!!!!

The other issue at hand was that the deck was not moving up and down when I moved the lever but I would think that has to be a easy fix :whistle: I hope!

Ofcourse any help is appreciated but hopefully the blades will come off and my father will help me .

T-Mo

Congratulations on getting it running. The Work Horses were the only grey ones Wheel Horse made and only for a few years in the early 80's. Sounds like it just needs some carb work and it's good to go. On the lift lever, be sure it's connected underneath.

speedy

Is it true that the briggs motors wount run with out the air assembly? we changed the fuel lines last night and it seems to be good but wount stay running unless you restict the air flow a little bit. --The deck has a problem --looks like I need a deck for it. the rear wheel adjuster is gone and some one welded thr rear arm in place so when you drop the deck it will only go so far.

My hope is that when the airfilter assembly goes on it will run ok--my father couldnt believe the condition of the horse considering its age. I sharpened the blades last night and if I can get it to run proper I guess I will have a 3inch lawn for a while untill I can get a deck for it.

TT

They'll run without an air cleaner. Sounds like you might have a clogged main jet, or the valve clearance might even be too tight. :whistle:

Go back to the Briggs parts list in the link above. On page 7, you will see the carburetor. #113 is the main jet nozzle and is accessed by removing the high-speed mixture adjustment needle assembly (#118) from the bottom corner of the float bowl on the carb. CAREFULLY use a straight screwdriver to remove the nozzle from the carb body and clean it well.

#94 is the low-speed mixture screw and should be removed and cleaned also. Use aerosol carb cleaner to spray in both holes and reinstall all parts.

***Before you remove either screw, turn them in until they LIGHTLY seat and record how far you moved them. (3/4 turn, 1 1/2 turns, etc.) Reinstall them to the original setting, and adjust as necessary once the engine is running and warmed up.

If the tractor has sat for any length of time, you may need to remove the carb, disassemble, and soak it in carb cleaner for a while.

speedy

Ok - I rebuilt the carb last night and she runs well. The carb was all pluged up with some type of white substance. The low idle and the high were completly plugged up and it only took me a half an hour to rebuild it. --I race RC cars so I have all the small tools needed, it made the rebuild very easy. As soon as I installed the carb and started it, it ran great. No more stalling and it seems to be good.---was very proud last night driving around my yard at 10 pm with the headlights on :WRS: Just need to fix the whole in the deck, the rear wheel adjuster is missing and some one tack welded the rear wheel adjuster in place--- :D so I can cut a 3 inch lawn all the time- :whistle: -------------- Just wanted to thank all that has helped and im sure i will have more questions in the future --thank you again :D

TT

That's great to hear! :whistle:

The "white substance" is the result of oxidation of the aluminum carburetor parts - caused by moisture.

Is the height adjuster handle on the deck missing completely, or is it just welded fast? It really shouldn't be tough to find used replacement parts - a lot of guys save them before scrapping an unrepairable shell.

kpinnc

was very proud last night driving around my yard at 10 pm with the headlights on

Oh yeah, he's hooked...... :whistle::WRS::D:D

Great to hear she's running for you! Welcome to the addiction!

Kevin

Sparky

And there aint no cure either :dunno: .

Mike...........

T-Mo

Congratulations on getting it fixed. Good job. And don't worry if you have an urge to look for red tractors when driving. It's normal, just be you give plenty of warning to the cars behind you when you spot one. :whistle:

kpinnc

It's normal, just be you give plenty of warning to the cars behind you when you spot one.

Good advice!

I've found it easiest to just ride everywhere with the flashers on.... :whistle:

Kevin

linen beige

Great to hear she's running for you! Welcome to the addiction!

Kevin

Yep! My sentiments exactly. Welcome to our gladness. (I've been known to ride one around the yard at 4:00 in the morning. :dunno: Even ones that don't have lights.). Neighbors are used to it. <_<