Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Identifying a Stator

rmaynard

Can anyone identify this stator? It was removed from a K301S. I have never seen one like this before. What is it's amperage rating? It has a diode in series with one of the leads.

ad03b22e.jpg

The flywheel has only five magnets.

ffe36c17.jpg

JC 1965

Bob, That is A 3 amp stator part# 4575518S. I just replaced one on A 14 hp magnum engine. The engine was on A 1987 414-8 tractor that I bought for parts. The po told me the engine was locked up. When I pulled the fly wheel I found A 1/4 inch bolt stuck to one of the magnets, the bolt was caught on the stator and wouldn't allow the fly wheel to turn. the stator was damaged so I found A new one on ebay. That's all that was wrong with the engine. Hope this helps!! :dunno:

rmaynard

Thanks for that info. I suspected as much since the one lead had a diode in it. :dunno:

fourwheels0

where is the diode?.

i don't see it.

on the flywheel. it is missing 1 magnet. it's supposed to have 6.

if you put a magnet back in make sure you put it in with the white mark facing up (or in your case yellow).

i delt with a flywheel that had 3 magnets in upside down and the stator would not charge.

rmaynard

where is the diode?.

i don't see it.

on the flywheel. it is missing 1 magnet. it's supposed to have 6.

if you put a magnet back in make sure you put it in with the white mark facing up (or in your case yellow).

i delt with a flywheel that had 3 magnets in upside down and the stator would not charge.

The diode is under the black sheathing about 3 inches from the end. There is no evidence that there ever was a 6th magnet.

fourwheels0

trust me you are missing a magnet i guarantee.

rmaynard

Looks like the 5 magnet flywheel is right out of the Kohler factory that way. I emailed Brian Miller from Garden Tractor Pulling tonight, and he sent me the following:

That particular stator with the missing magnet produces 3 amps/13.5 volts at 3,600 rpms. It requires a minimum 3 amp diode, but no voltage regulator/rectifier. It's rare a stator. I have one in my shop that I removed from an engine. It's only good to power two headlights and/or recharge the battery. An electric PTO can be used with it, but no headlights can be used at the same time because the PTO & two headlights draws 3 amps each, total of 6 amps, which will burn out the diode.

Mystery solved.