smoreau

Hydraulic V (dozer) Blade project

smoreau

:thanks: 57" blade that I picked up from a RS member that was nice enough to bring it to Kellys Charlotte show was the start of this idea. I wanted to make my favorite worker, my 95 417A, a v blade. Last winter the 48" blade didn't slow it down at all and worked like a charm! My 48" dozer blade is way too nice to cut up, so I looked on CL and came up with a 57" dozer blade for a buck fifty.

101-1.jpg

102-1.jpg

Then my favorite tool of destruction came out and cut it in half :help: The Saw Zaw

103-1.jpg

104-1.jpg

105.jpg

The the tape measure and some figures started to run through my head :wh: and the two half's came back together with a hinge between them. The blade is know 58 1/2" wide know.

163.jpg

164.jpg

162.jpg

160.jpg

161.jpg

165-1.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

I also made the mount for this blade for the A frame and the ware bars, but I forgot my camera last week as I was very busy with the Spook Train thing I do every year driving my 1/3 scale mini :dunno: around at Junction Vally Railroad. Any how I used a BOSS v blade as a model for this project, and alot of your ?'s will be answered with the next pic's I will take on Sat. More to come...........

• Like 5

Gene_S

This is something I've been wanting to do for years... :dunno:

Thanks for posting the pictures and I will be following this to the finish!!! :wh:

KyBlue

What a great job. Welds look superb too! Look forward to seeing how you finish it up!

Sparky

Real nice job :dunno: !

Lookin forward to seeing it pushing snow.

Mike.........

Rollerman

That looks great Scott, will it fold hyd cylinders?

Nick in OH built one a few years back & pushed it with a 520LXI, but if I remember it was a mechanically angled?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1529&hilit=v+blade

Anyways slick build & can't wait to see the finished blade mounted up. :dunno:

aeallison

Awesome job. It gives me some great ideas too. As others have said, I cant wait to see how it all works out. Good job. :dunno:

Nick

Very nice work love to see it in action this winter. :dunno: I had just thrown my manual adjusted V blade together from looking at my brothers Boss plow but also got the idea from the Steiner and Ventrac electric hydraulic adjustable V blades.

Both sites have video of the blades.

Steiner V plow

http://www.steinerturf.com/attachments.asp?c=3&p=5

Ventrac

http://ventrac.com/products/attachments/KV552/

I forgot to mention as Scott said those are some nice looking welds. :wh:

can whlvr

lookin good,do you plan to have it like the ventrac or ive seen bobcats with versitile v blades that angle,scoop,and straight,it will be real handy,where are you going to get hydro from,the tractor pump or an auxilery pump unit?

rexman72

scott cant wait to hear how the 417A does with that good looking V plow.

smoreau

:dunno: I got more pics today!! And to answer some ?'s

It will be hydraulic cylinders powered by the axle pump. I am going to use 12V hydraulic control valves and momentary switches to control the blade. More on this later on.

As for the welds, most look great, but some don't. I should take my time more, but that's nice about steel, I can grind out the bird turds and redo it wright! I try to make them nice where they are seen.

Ok for the pics :help:

This is the mount for the blade after finishing up the fab work.

175.jpg

178.jpg

179.jpg

And with some paint on it :thanks:

181.jpg

182.jpg

183.jpg

Hydraulic cylinders installed, and cutting (wear) plates. And a tip I got from Nick's v blade about sidewalk cracks, the nose has a ramp to prevent me from kissing my XXX's on the wheel when I hit a crack or raised piece of cement.

184-1.jpg

186.jpg

187.jpg

The springs installed

188.jpg

189.jpg

190.jpg

I couldn't resist to install it on the tractor to see what it looked like :thanks:

191.jpg

192.jpg

194.jpg

195.jpg

196.jpg

197.jpg

198.jpg

199.jpg

200.jpg

201.jpg

Know I'm waiting for a shipment of fittings and hoses from surplus center. Should be here Wed. or Thur I hope! The next fun part is getting to the return line for the lift valve on the 417A. I need to tie into it for the 2 new valves, and run a new line to the filter. The hoses will have disconnects and a on-off switch under the hood so the valves will not operate when the blade is off. Trying to see what other implements I can make that could use the hydraulic ports that will be up front. :wh: Still more to come............

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

Gene_S

Scott that's beautiful work!!! :wh:

I think I drooled all over my I-Pad looking at them pictures... :dunno:

Rollerman

Looks great, nice fabwork.

I recognise the van in the background too, just don't remmeber it sitting so high. :dunno:

smoreau

Looks great, nice fabwork.

I recognise the van in the background too, just don't remmeber it sitting so high. :wh:

:dunno: Yah that was a load and a half for the old horse hauler :thanks: By the way, I did get that devil kohler k301 rebuilt and runs great. I did it for my brother this spring. I do have to pull it back apart and replace the gov. weights must be broken. over revs about 500 rpm with it adjusted in any spot :help:

smoreau

Scott that's beautiful work!!! :thanks:

I think I drooled all over my I-Pad looking at them pictures... :help:

I hope it's water proof!! I am really looking forward to some snow this year! 520H with the blower and the 417A with a v blade! :thanks:

edit

Oh yah and the 2001 Dodge with the western pro plus 7 1/2' blade with 2 6" wings! :wh: Bring it on Mother Nature!! :dunno:

Gene_S

Scott is the hinge all home made or something you bought???

Another question is I've seen a 48, 54 and a 56 (D-series) blade. That's 57 inches???

jay in nc

nice work on the blade.is that a 2010 or a 1010 in the background? we bought a new 2010 in the fall of 63 but it went with the farm in 73.

smoreau

Scott is the hinge all home made or something you bought???

Another question is I've seen a 48, 54 and a 56 (D-series) blade. That's 57 inches???

I made the hinge with a piece of 3/4" cold rolled bar stock and some 3/4" bushings for 3 point hitches found at TSC. I did cut some of the bushings in half and drilled holes in them so the hinge can be lubed. I also used a cut off wheel to put some groves in the bar stock so the lube can get all the way around the bushing. I am almost positive the blade measured 57" across when I got it. Kelly was there when I got it at the Charlotte Show this year. It looked all original and only had 2 springs on it, Kelly thought it should of had 4. I added 1 1/2" in the hinge, And it know measures 58 1/2" across the entire blade when it's straight. It will be a few days and I will get back to Toms and get the tag off the plow and run the #'s. I know that I only added 1 1/2" to the blade, But I could be wrong :dunno:

smoreau

nice work on the blade.is that a 2010 or a 1010 in the background? we bought a new 2010 in the fall of 63 but it went with the farm in 73.

That is a 2010 and Its Toms. (n1defan) Its a nice tractor and gets used for snow plowing and yard work over to Toms. He has a post hole digger, brush hog, back blade, and a box scraper for it.

Gene_S

Oh don't worry about the tag Scott... You have done fabulous work on the blade... I had bought a 1054 54 inch blade to do the same thing your doing but with a lot less planning on my end and didn't know exactly how I was going to do it. Then I went and sold it because my project list is longer then my honey do list... Great job!!!

massey

Man that looks excellent, great work. :dunno:

KyBlue

That is so very SWEET!!!

Okay Now you've got me wanting one ... Argh!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Mad fab skills! :wh: Hope we get to see an action video posted here once the four letter word starts flyin'. :dunno:

rexman72

scott great work and i am glad your using the 417A.Can you please take pics of the hydraulic ports?

smoreau

:dunno: for all the great comments, and a Up date on the control valves. I decided to use 12 volt electric valves so I didn't have to make complicated remote controls to operate the valves, and so it wouldn't look bad. Don't want a big ugly valve hanging out the side of the tractor :wh: They will be mounted in front of the engine, and the ports will go through the bottom of the hood. The valves will be mounted to the hood. This is the best look I could come up with without a lot of extra work in the pluming of the control valves. You know KISS. Any how pics of the valves.

225.jpg

226.jpg

223.jpg

224.jpg

Still waiting for the rest of the fittings to get here :help:

• Like 2

KyBlue

Bit by bit and before you know it you'll be out pushing the fluffy white stuff with it!