Sign in to follow this  
Aussie

positive battery cable to starter - Onan

Aussie

I want to check the correct connection of the positive battery cable to the starter on my 416-8 with an Onan.

When I pulled the tractor down the photos I took and notes I made suggest that the positive lead was connected directly to the starter terminal as per the photos.

19y2wl.jpg

2q3ne5c.jpg

This doesn't seem to be right and I can't understand how it worked. I think the lead should go to the solenoid terminal like this;

2vbn954.jpg

I haven't tried to start it yet as there are still a couple of things to finish off, but wanted to check before I fry something.

Can anyone help me out? :dunno:

TT

I never looked closely at that arrangement, but I believe the "extra" solenoid is used as a safety relay on the older 520 models.

The way it is wired in the first two pictures is actually correct.

wallfish

I agree.

It does look like the starter has an integrated solenoid/relay attached to it so when it's wired like the first pics, it is actually wired through a solenoid.

Aussie

Thank you both. Yes, it's blinding to me now you point it out wallfish, that the solenoid is mounted on the starter. I was so focused on the stand alone solenoid I couldn't see the obvious! I'll put the lead back where it belongs and hopefully have some photos of a nearly complete running tractor to add to my build thread soon.

Thanks again.