bowtiebuster

Snowthrower repair help needed

bowtiebuster

Hey all. I'm coming to the end of my 73 No-Name 10 8 speed restoration and have acquired a very beaten up 42STO1 blower. This thing is ugly, but I am a stubborn monkey and will be bring it back front the dead. It needs bearings. Every single one is toast. I have stripped it down but none of the bearings have any readable numbers on them so I can source out replacements at work. What I need if possible is crossreferenced replacement numbers for bearings. I won't be going to toro for overpriced bearings as I work in a maintenance shop and have thousands of bearings at my disposal and really just need some numbers. Can anyone help me? Has anyone done a restoration on one of these before? Have any links for me?

Thanks alot in advance!

resto2.jpg

blower2.jpg

lae51967

I'm part way through a blower restoration, the ID tag is missing from mine so I don`t know the exact model but it appears to be very similar if not identical to yours. Last year it threw the drive chain which wedged in the auger stopping the blower dead and snapped the drive belt like a piece of string which bent the blower drive shaft and pulley. The pulley, sprocket and bearings were not going to come off so I had to start from scratch. I purchased a 3/4" x 3' grade 1018 low carbon steel keyed shaft from Fastenal (Part No. (SKU) 0157519) for the main drive shaft. I bought two 1" three bolt flange bearings with lock collar (Part No. (SKU)SATRD205-16G) and one 14 tooth sprocket for #40 roller chain (Part No. (SKU) 40B14) from The Big Bearing Store.com. I probably could have found bearings similar to the original but I liked the durability of these better. I bought a pulley from TSC, the diameter was slightly smaller than the original but should not affect rpm`s by much. I used modified shaft couplers welded to the shaft to increase the size at the bearings but in hind sight I should have just increased the shaft size and found a compatible sprocket and pulley. I`ve assembled and mounted the drive shaft but I have only hand tested the rotation with the tractor`s drive belt connected. I hope to get back on this project in the near future and trial run everything at speed.

The auger bearings that matched mine were radial ball bearing 3/4" bore (Part No. (SKU) 1630-2RS 1630-ZZ) also purchased from The Big Bearing Store.com. I measured the original ones with a dial caliper and found replacements of matching dimensions. My auger shaft is worn excessively at the bearing points so I have to fabricate up a new one. I`m going to attempt to eliminate the plug weld to the height adjuster arm and mimic the connection to the wheel support on the opposite side of the housing then any future work should be easier as well. I purchased the idler sprockets off of ebay but they should be fairly easy to match up. The 17 tooth steel idler sprocket for #40 roller chain (Part No. (SKU) 04017E) at The Big Bearing Store.com might possibly be a match

mdntspec

I just rebuilt my old 68 37" snowblower....model 6-1211....bought most of my parts from McMaster-Carr (online).

If it helps......idler sprocket #6663K41, drive sprocket #6280K683, drive pulley #6204K292, drive chain #6261K173,

and the sprocket for the auger is #2299K34. I took the auger to a machine shop, had them cut the welds on the old sprocket,

and the new one can be bored to fit the auger shaft and re-welded....$20.00 labor for replacing the sprockete was well worth it!!

I also replaced bearings, but I don't have those numbers handy....