Sign in to follow this  
Trouty56

RV Antifreeze

Trouty56

Was checking into RV Antifreeze for ballast and came across this ad on the ACE Hardware site. 6 pk of 1 gallon jugs for a few cents less than 18 bucks. Plus if you drill into the Savings Alert you will find a rebate for 1 buck off a gallon (only three per household tho). Free shipping to your local ACE. Takes 5.5 gallons per 23 X 8.5 X 12 tire. Thought it sounded pretty good to me....what about you??

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...ELAID=624161374

Thanks,

Gene_S

Isn't windshield washer fluid cheeper the RV antifreeze fluid??? Or is the RV fluid heavier???

Trouty56

Same weight....worried about leaks and the dogs. Washer fluid is a bit toxic. Not a lot but one trip to the vet and there goes the savings. Wife sends the dogs to the vet when they have the $hits and I don't need any flack from her about this....lol. Supposedly this stuff is non everything.

Thanks,

sorekiwi

I have a set of tires on a B80 that have been full of washer fluid for 5 years now. They're the smaller tires (22x7.5-12??) but I'm fairly sure I got 7 gallons in each one.

My dog has sniffed at a bottle of washer fluid, but backed right off. I guess she could smell the alcohol, she's smarter than her dad!

how do you get it into the tires?

mr.pipes

Here is a table from Rimguards website that lists tire sizes and capacty in gallons when filled 75%. The weight is a little higher because Rimguard is 10.7-11 lbs per gallon and RV antifreeeze is around 8.5lbs per gallon. http://www.rimguard.biz/Documentation/Hydr...ble_AGTires.pdf

Rollerman

how do you get it into the tires?

Break the bead on one side of the tire & pour it in.

If you have tubes farm stores carry an adapter that allows you to pour it in through the stem, but it's a slow process.

I'm still a big fan of poly fill for tire ballast & have two sets done.

It's more expensive, but you have the weight & the tire will never leak again.

Here's a link with some info.

http://www.forklifttire.com/polyurethanefoamfill.html

KC9KAS

Last year, I bought a 55 gallon drum of windsheild washer fluid from a local oil/fuel distributor and it was just about $1 a gallon.

I removed the valve core and let the tire deflate and used a garden sprayer (hose only, removed the wand) to install the fluid.

You will have to "burp" the tire once in a while to allow room for more fluid, but this method worked better for me than breaking the bead on one side and pouring in the fluid, as I had some trouble getting the tires to "re" seat and stop leaking.

I have since then purchased the adapter that allows fluid to be pumped into the tire and the air released with the push of the little button. I bought it at an auto parts store, but have not used it yet.

I think I have an old 12 VDC travel trailer water pump that will work for pumping the fluid into the tires using the fluid/air adapter the next time I need to add weight a to tire.

Callen

Do you guys add anything to the Anti-freeze to keep the tires from drying out and cracking?

sorekiwi

There are tubes in my tires. I removed the valve stem and put a hose over the stem with a funnel on the other end. Poured in the washer fluid slowly letting the tire burp as it needed to.

It probably only took about 1/2 an hour per tire.

HorseFixer

Thanks for the gallons link! Saved it. Im not a fan of it unless you use Tubes cause I seen too many rims I have had to fix. :help: I think the antifreeze is a bit heavyer :dunno: but it is so slight it would be like splitting hairs. :wh:

~Duke

Lars

Here in Norway we use water mixed with salt .. works great .. it is cheaper than the other

but then it is recommended to use tube

josh876

in solviet russia tire fills its self!!! :dunno: :wh:

Gene_S

Same weight....worried about leaks and the dogs. Washer fluid is a bit toxic. Not a lot but one trip to the vet and there goes the savings. Wife sends the dogs to the vet when they have the $hits and I don't need any flack from her about this....lol. Supposedly this stuff is non everything.

Thanks,

Sorry about that Bob I never thought about the toxic factor!!!

mr.pipes

in solviet russia tire fills its self!!! :dunno::wh:

I bet it was killing you trying to decide between a Russia or Chuck Norris comment.

Trouty56
Same weight....worried about leaks and the dogs.

mr.pipes

Trouty, If you are concered about toxicity and corrosion take a look at beet juice. It's non-toxic, non-corrosive and 30% heavier than water. The link you posted say's the cost is very high but it is about $3 a gallon. So you spend $30 instead of $18 but you get more weight and poses no risk to your dogs. Here is a link to Rim Guards site. You can email or call them to find a dealer near you. http://www.rimguard.biz/

Trouty56

Pipes,

I'll look at that beet juice again. 3 bucks a gallon is good. I thought it was way more than that. Thx for the info....heck the RV antifreeze is 3 bucks a gallon!!!