Sign in to follow this  
Ken B

Don't miss it tonight...

Ken B

American Restoration is supposed to be restoring a 3 wheeled Bantam tractor tonight on the History Channel. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out and even more interesting to see what the value Rick places on it. After tonight the prices are really going to soar.. :dunno:

CasualObserver

Can't wait, DVR is already set. And I thought they were expensive before!

Brrly1

Any idea of what time? :dunno:

:wh:

nylyon

Dish network channel 120 9:30 eastern DVR set!

HorseFixer

anyone can post it to U tube or burn me a copy? :thanks: Date night with MJ tonight so I am gonna miss it... << movies >> :dunno: I dont think swindling her into a tractor Resto movie will work? :help:

:wh: ~Duke

stevasaurus

I've got it at 8:30 central on U-VERSE channel 270...History Channel. I can record it, but not sure about getting it on U-TUBE. I saw the promotions a few times before I figured out it was a Bantam...should be interesting. :dunno: Wish I had one for sale tomorrow. :wh: It is a 1954 they say.

Ken B

Holy smokes! 6500 bucks to restore a Bantam. Sure it was pretty darn nice, it even smoked when the customer drove it away.

stevebo

Busy day for me today and just got home about an hour ago. I have it on record for later tonight. Looking forward to it..

bitten

To bad they didnt go into detail on what they had to do to it and what kind of parts they had to find for it. Just to watch the show they charged all that money for some body work, paint and to put it together. I might be in the line of work.

WheelHorseSteve

You're pretty much looking at $3k to $8k to have anything done on this show. They do a great job with the sandblasting... Painting... Fabrication... Woodwork... Not sure that they are the best with the internals of engines (doubt they did a rebuild on that engine). Sure did look nice... But yeah, $6500... Ouch!

VinsRJ

Holy smokes! 6500 bucks to restore a Bantam. Sure it was pretty darn nice, it even smoked when the customer drove it away.

Ken, Bantams are not cheap..... just ask my Brother..... He will not be 6500 deep but he'll be at least knee deep into his. :dunno:

Ken B

What I found interesting is that Rick didn't give the customer a value on the tractor when its totally restored as he usually does. I know the Bantam tractors themselves aren't cheap. This one looked to be pretty straight and rust free when it was dropped off. Out of curiosity, anyone with real Bantam knowledge (Matt where are ya?) have a figure on what its worth in its restored stage? I can take a guess like anyone else, but I'd probably be wrong as well. I was talking to a guy at a tractor show this summer, he told me he picked up a pretty nice one in running condition for under 2 g's. I saw it, it was pretty nice.

mavfreak

Because the guy who brought it in wanted it restored for sentimental reason I don't think price was an issue, but it looked really good in my opinion.

I know that my commando 800 that was my grandfathers and my great grandfathers before him and is priceless to me, and if money wasn't an object I would be sending it to them myself. I don't think I could restore mine to the level they can. Would it make it any more valuable, probably not. It would however let me own it in the condition that my great granddad pulled it off the showroom floor.

I would never sell it anyway.

HorseFixer

I retire in three years no doubt I will be finishing more tractor projects :dunno: I prolly should get into that biz if its that Lucrative! :wh:

Thanks Jason will look for it in a couple Days.

~Duke

AMC RULES

That's just crazy money, one heck of a price to pay to be on TV. :wh: Imagine how many RJ's you could own for that kind of money. :dunno:

CasualObserver

Well I definitely wasn't expecting that much for a restore price. I was thinking he'd be in it for more like 3500-4000. I picked up mine for a steal several years ago. It's in rough shape, but I still got a hell of a deal. There's pictures in the non-tractor section somewhere. Rough originals I think easily trade anywhere from 500-1000 fairly easily, depending on how rough and how complete. Nice originals can easily command up to about 2000-2500. I've never seen a fully restored one sell, but if I were guessing, 3000-3500 is probably about the cap.

What I would like to know about the show is whether or not the "clients" actually pay for those restos or if the show absorbs that as a cost. I would think that the stuff he restores and actually sells are probably true monetary transactions, but does money really change hands for the other stuff? Did that guy really pay 6500 for that? Obviously sentimental value can seriously skew some prices, but that's ridiculous.

stevasaurus

That guy had the wind knocked out of his sails when he was told what it would cost. He thought about it for a minute. If Jason's numbers are in the ball park, you can buy 2 or 3 for that kind of money. This show seems to be about the shock factor for the cost and what it looks like when it is done...not too much about the actual restorations. :dunno:

Gene_S

That guy had the wind knocked out of his sails when he was told what it would cost. He thought about it for a minute. If Jason's numbers are in the ball park, you can buy 2 or 3 for that kind of money. This show seems to be about the shock factor for the cost and what it looks like when it is done...not too much about the actual restorations. :dunno:

Your 100% right Steve!!! We all know a restore would not cost that much Even if you had to remake sheet metal panels!!! All shock... Don't get me wrong the restoration on everything looks great...

64s

Sadly, the only thing shows like that do is give people the impression that all of the junk they own is worth a fortune. The reason Rick didn't give a restored value is because the value is below the restoration cost. Because it is entitled a 'reality' show, the average person thinks that it is reality. :dunno:

That being said, I do watch it regularly just to see the final product. It is nice to see the 'old things' being broat back to their fomer glory

BTW: Did anyone else notice that as they were taking the seat off to tear the rest down, the bolt holding the seat and a few others looked brand new. Oh the 'magic' of TV - I wish all of my 40 year old nut and bolts looked that good and come apart that easily. :wh:

Gene_S

I did notice that George and then they acted like it was rusted on the way he was trying to get it off... :dunno:

horsefeathers

$6500. USD and don't forget the $55. batery!

Yup that's right Rick went over buget ! $6555.00 USD!

And they had that stereing problem w/the gears !

They never did say how they fixed that???!!

There's gold in them there hills out in Navada!

Well mostly silver ! But dam!!! $6500. resto??

Ain't goinna' happen in my backyard!!

:dunno: HORSEFEATHERS!

stevasaurus

No poop Bud...who is going to pay more than it will ever be worth...much more. :dunno: Only on TV... :wh:

JimD

Even my cat couldn't believe that one.

omgcat.gif

and

$6000. to $6500. seemed to be the price of the week. Wonder what it will be next week? :dunno:

stevebo

My issue was the smoking motor. If I was the guy paying 6500 that motor should have been rebuilt too....I still really like the show however I hope they do not try to make it like AC with all the drama..