Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Messing around with the "rat" theme

stevebo

After seeing VinsRJ and Wallfish's rat rods I figured what a perfect candidate I have for my partially restored 58 RJ. I decided to keep the tractor I was trying to sell after a guy drove over 3 hours to ride it around for 30 mins and was still trying to make up his mind so I did it for him and put it in the garage and told him he does not want the tractor and I left and took my son fishing. Anyhow, the only change so far is a spring change to a shorty spring and I had a set of old caddy ( I think) tail lights I got from my grandfathers garage after he passed. I knew I wanted to keep them for a reason. I have a few other ideas but here is what I have as this point. I will update as I go but do not hold your breath as this may take a while :dunno:

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

VinsRJ

NICE! :dunno:

I've seen that seat position before :wh:

Now the kicker would be to find a way to have those 59 Caddy tail lights turn on when applying the brake :help:

stevebo

Vince,

Think the lights should stay or go?

Kelly

The lights are cool, but the wrong size, but do as you want.

wallfish

Stop butchering that RJ and give'r to me!

Why don't you pick on a plentiful C series or something? :dunno:

HorseFixer

With those lights :wh: It looks like sumptin like outta Buck Rogers :dunno:

Ken B

If you can French them into a set of rear fenders then you'd be cookin.

jbumgarner

I would agree with Ken B, mold them into the fenders and make them work when the brake is pushed would be cool. Just my .02

COMMANDO6

I actually kinda like them as is. Just as long as you make them light with the brake. You just need to mount a limit switch and probably a relay.

AMC RULES

I like it, looks like fun. :wh: You can always put it back to original later. :dunno:

stevebo

When I built my harley/composite bike (94 Fatboy) I had a few "extra" parts.. I found a use for them I think.. Still on the fence on the tailights.

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

massey

after a guy drove over 3 hours to ride it around for 30 mins and was still trying to make up his mind so I did it for him and put it in the garage and told him he does not want the tractor

Smooth :dunno:

clintonnut

Glad to see it being used!

If I were you I would take that breather thingy on the side and make a bracket for it to mount to the carburetor.

Charlie

TT

that breather thingy on the side

....is a horn. :dunno:

MikesRJ

Ah, but does it play "Dixie Land"? Up in Stevebo's neck of the woods it might just be "Yankee Doodle"! :dunno: :wh:

horsefeathers

Just keep buildin' stevebo ! yer on the right path ...More Harley parts please!

MrTrimmier

Just keep buildin' stevebo ! yer on the right path ...More Harley parts please!

:wh::help:

the '59 Cad lights are cool but if it were me I'd make 1 an illuminated gas cap cover and put some pitted harley turn signals with red lenses on the back for tails and the other 2 up front with clears for headlights. Does your's have the forward side holes in the angle iron part of the frame just above the axle? Off the hood would look cool too. Ditch those tywraps for the gas tank and go with a couple worn out leather belts...

I'd also krinkle paint the motor in red or black (VHT makes good stuff in high temp) and sand the fins clean...

My .02 :0)

Mike Trimmier

Beaufort SC

FOB Salerno Afghanistan

:dunno:

stevebo

Mr Timmer-

I like the wrinkle finish on the engine idea.. The new tank will be a clinton mounted on a tank stand like on the early 55's... Too busy right now with work to mess with it more... :dunno:

Uncle BO

:wh: steve, just got back on the square and i've seen the lites before got to use them "POP "is proud as he would say atta boy "rocky" Uncle BO :dunno:

chris11

Steve, That looks great. i like the caddy tail lights. I did pick up a rj just havent had any time to work on it.