Sign in to follow this  
rtribe

1968 charger 12

rtribe

I am trying to replace my ignition switch with one I ordered from partstree, changed it wire for wire. The starter turns but no spark. :banghead: Put old switch back on and it starts and runs no problem. :thumbs2: I noticed the new switch has different letters but I checked the wiring diagram I have and it should work. I am replacing the old switch because the post are loose and about to pull out so before winter hit I thought I would get a head of the fix while it is still nice out. Am I not doing something correct? Its the 3 post switch

Thanks,

Kevin

CasualObserver

If it has different letters, it's likely not the same switch. What is the part number you purchased, and can you put up some pictures of it.

Coadster32

The letters all stand for something, (M-agneto, B-attery, I-gnition, etc.) . The new switch might work, but the tabs could be in a different order.

rtribe

101482 Assy. Switch-Ignition which replaces #7572. The orig. switch has B - S - IG. The new one has B M S so I put B to B and S to S and IG to M? I never tried to change B to S.

Thanks again for the help.

CasualObserver

Don't bother changing the tabs, you'll probably just burn out the switch, and then you won't be able to return/exchange it. Battery ignition and Magneto ignition are not the same thing. You need the correct switch. Is your engine original? The switch may have been replaced if the engine was changed. Again, please post up some pictures if you can or at least provide the engine model/spec numbers. There are some excellent engine guys here who will tell you exactly what you need.

rtribe

I will get the Eng. spec info later tonight after work and sons football game.

Thanks

If it helps it has points and coil and condenser. (i think they call it breaker point ignition)? I would bet I have the wrong ign. switch, so I will need to send this one back. Any help is great. The tin says it is a K301 (thats all my son was able to remeber, texting is a great thing)

TT

This can be considered a trick question since there are two different ignition systems used on the 1968 C-12 & R-12, but they both include a coil, points, and condenser.........

Early-production 1968 Chargers and Raiders had the leftover K301S-4712B engines with battery ignition and a starter / generator. The coil is the "soda can" style that mounts to the left of the carburetor.

Later '68 Chargers & Raiders (and every '68 Electro I have ever seen - since I believe the Electro came along a little later) had a magneto ignition with a gear-drive starter and a 10 amp flywheel alternator ~ which should be the K301S-47147B engine.

The coil on this type of ignition system is under the flywheel.

Early models should have used the #7263 ignition switch - which was the one used on the late '67 1067/1267 tractors.

The mag ignition models should have the #7572 switch.

As you have already realized, they don't interchange.

rtribe

The tin has K301S spec No. 47147B. If that is the case then the switch I have which was the replacement for the 7572 should work? I wire it the same as the old but no spark, the starter turns it over?

It has the "soda can style" coil left of the Carb. It also has the high mount 13 tooth gear drive starter. I will try and post pic. tonight, our home computer took a dive last night.

I also have a 1077 with a 12hp K301S Kohler Short Block ACR and it has the same ignition switch. Spec no. of 7752234 and that has the belt drive starter, PO modified this tractor.