Sign in to follow this  
resqdiver1

10hp diesel and 2 stage snowblower

resqdiver1

Hello Guys,

I was just wondering if anybody has converted over to the 10 hp diesel and run a 44" 2-stage snowblower?

I have a 310-8 with an old Onan 16hp BF in it that is a little tired. I still have the Kohler Magnum 10 hp which runs great but doesn't have the power for the blower.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 10 hp diesel and 44" 2-stage blower? I know that they have more torque but would like some input please.

Thanks,

John

sgtsampay

Hello. Welcome. :thumbs2:

I have that exact same set-up but haven't had any snow to try the rig out on. I hope to get some nice storms to work the rig a little and give it a good shack down. I will say that after using it all summer, spring, and fall, the diesel has shown to have more than enough power to run a 48in, 42in, and 36in tiller just fine with no trouble at all. I can run the 48in deck even in normal grass in third gear!

Personally, I think the blower will load up the motor just fine but work. heck, we have a member here who uses a 12 Hp kohler with a hydro just fine with his 44in blower. Sure its not a speed demon but it work great IMHO just fine.

Now, if you have a 8 speed 10Hp, then you should try and look for a 38in Bervac snowblower that were made for about two years before the 44in blowers came out. I know a few people who have ran with those set-ups.

resqdiver1

Hello SGTSAMPAY,

Just wanted to check in to see if you had a chance to try out the snowblower with the new diesel? Also how is the diesel holding up? I thought of you as I know you are from Maine and know most of Maine has gotten some pretty decent snow (Sunday River). My Aunt and Uncle live in North Conway and got 14 inches the day before and into Thanksgiving.

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving and the WH is working hard. Any input on the diesel/snowblower pairing would be great.

Cheers from MA,

John

Hydro

If you visit YouTube you will find various applications for blwoing snow with the 10 Hp diesel. Everything I have seen says tons of torque. There is no comparison between diesel and gas when it comes to the torque of the engine.

sgtsampay

Hi all. Yeah I was able to get to use the diesel with the blower for one storm. It was about 8-10in of very heavy wet snow. the blower did fien but I did have to put the tractor in 1 high or 3rd low in order to keep the engine from stalling. the diesel smoke a huge amount and for about 2 hours of blowing, I used about 3/4 of a gallon of fuel. I'm very impressed with the diesel for performance but starting it up you need a good battery, lots of pateince, a warm glow plug, and holding down of the compression release while the battery turns over the flywheel. Then you let the compression realese go and the flywheel + the starter should kick the engine over if the thing is primed and intake plug warm enough. If not, then you will have to do the process again.

Also, let the diesel warm up for a good 5 or so min before you use it, as it will very cranky if you don't. If I had to do it again, I would go with the diesel once more. I hope this help all.

can whlvr

im thinking as these engines get older they will not start good,as with any deisel they dont like the cold,i have a bobcat with a kubota 33 hp deisel,very reliable engine and maybe one of the finest deisel engines out there but its a pig to stsrt when its cold,up here in ontario it gets very cold sometimes and still snows,by the time i plug in the bobcat my honda powered wheelhorse has the job done,even when its -30 it will start,i dont think a deisel has a chance,ya if you plug it in or keep it in a heated shop,but thats not feasible for everyone in the summer the deisel rules,but im not a fan in the winter