Sign in to follow this  
AirForceVet

New (Novice) Wheel Horse Owner

AirForceVet

I am the brand new owner of a 1974 C-160 Automatic. My neighbor retired and moved to Florida and gave it to me. Unforfunately I don't know too much about it. I want to change the transmission oil and all I can find in an old manual is reference to 10W30 or 10W40. Is this ok to put in? Is this what is used to power t he hydraulics? Also, I want to change the oil. The manual say to use SC Oil. What is that? I have 2 decks for this, a side and a rear discharge, as well as a snow plow. It runs well and everything works. What is this thing worth?

nylyon

Chris :whistle: First, the 1974 C-160 is one of the very best ever built. Here is mine at work. Yes, the hydraulic unit takes 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil, there is also a filter on the hydro as well which needs to be changed annually. You can purchase the filters from your local Toro dealer or over the internet. For oil, you need to use straight 30 weight during the summer. My local dealer swears by Kohler branded oil, which I suppose makes sense.

As far as value depending on condition anywhere from $350 - $1800.

Welcome!

jrfan882008

:whistle: :WRS:lucky wish i had neighbors like that

BadDad

I have a c 160 also, it was my dads he got it in 1974. I now use it to mow here in Texas when I need to.( ha ha ) I also have a row tiller & a dozer blade for it. It is a very good tractor. :whistle:

C160.jpg

perry

:D ............................................ :D

the C-160 is a great tractor. :WRS: you did great on that find. what a great nieghbor :whistle: ....

i swear by 30-W oil in these old kohlers.

bo dawg

:D some guys must have all the luck to have someone give them a wheel horse, and on top of that being a C-160. And to think I had to pay top dollar to own one. :whistle:

Oh well...you do have a good one, I would say an average price for a decent looking one is $600-$900 unless you restore it and keep it original then alot higher. And again depends on the attachments, size of deck, shape of tires, etc...

Definitely use a quality 10w30 or 10w40 oil in the rearend, not the cheapest no brand stuff. I hear most everybody uses 10w30, I do to. Same for the engine oil use good quality brand SAE 30 or the Kohler brand oil, but only in the summer. :WRS: Now I might be wrong,(and correct me someone if I am) but on the filter, I go to the auto store and get one that crossreferences with original part. If you can use automotive oil why not automotive filter. :D

Never the less you are a lucky man, and you will find out that once you climb on a wheel horse, you will never go back to using anything else. :dunno: Can I get an AMEN!!

bo dawg :D

linen beige

Now I might be wrong,(and correct me someone if I am) but on the filter, I go to the auto store and get one that crossreferences with original part. If you can use automotive oil why not automotive filter. :D

Never the less you are a lucky man, and you will find out that once you climb on a wheel horse, you will never go back to using anything else. :D Can I get an AMEN!!

bo dawg :)

AMEN!

The Toro hydro filters don't have pressure relief valves in them. When they clog you stop moving. <_< Some of the auto style ones are really engine oil filters and their relief valves can open under heavy loads. That can cause any sludge or, even worse, metal shavings built up in the leading edge side of the filter to be pumped straight into your tranny. :D Since you won't know if they clog and the valve opens, you could be running essentially without a filter for hours and not know it. :D

AirForceVet,

:whistle: Thank you for your service!!! :WRS: and :dunno:

The SC oil refers to it's American Petroleum Institute service rating. Motor oil will be marked on the label to show which service ratings the oil meets. Some will be rated for multiple uses. Look for a circle around the letters A.P.I. on the label. The service ratings should be printed inside the circle or nearby. Start talking engine oil here and you'll maybe start a "spirited conversation". :D Stick with a name brand, proper viscosity, and service rating and you'll do fine.

T-Mo

:WRS:

You came to the right place as the guys here know their stuff. Karl and the others gave you some good advice. And, btw, congratulations on getting such a great tractor. :whistle:

Rollerman

I'm going to just jump in with Terry on this "Treed"....seems you have your answers already.

Very nice tractor & you did good for the price... :whistle:

That thing will outlast anything you can buy new today even being 30 plus years old!

Enjoy it & you came to the right place for questions

HorseFixer

:whistle: Air Force Vet looks like you found a nice machine there and It always helps when the price is right! :WRS: I personally recommend 10 W 30 oil also, but in 100% Synthetics. Good luck with your newly acquired tractor!

Cheers Duke

T-Mo

Now, Duke, why did you go and "muddy" the waters even further with throwing in synthetics? :D You know that leads to a long and lengthy discussion whereas even I get confused, though that's easily done in my case. :whistle:

Air Force vet,

I just wanted to agree with the consensus here and thanking you for your service to the country. My oldest brother is also retired from the Air Force and I'm an Army veteran myself. :D Whatever oil you choose, whether be 10W30 or 10W40 for your tranny and SAE30 for the engine, dyno or synthetic, you won't go wrong. Main thing is to keep the tranny fluid clean and be sure no dirt nor debris get into the hydraulic system, don't mismatch the weights, maintain the proper levels in both the engine and tranny and you'll be fine. Rest assure you have a fine machine that should last a long time. :WRS:

linen beige

Start talking engine oil here and you'll maybe start a "spirited conversation". :WRS:

See!, I told ya so! :whistle:

jerrell

:whistle: Hey AF Vet, me too, 23 years, The guys have covered the subject pretty well here, , you will enjoy the horse, just look at how they stand up compared to others, I think the best advise(in which is already listed) is to keep the oil clean and checked regularly, and often and that thing will out last you, mine will

again welcome aboard, also if you don't have manuals for your tractor , you can get them free on line,,

:WRS: