Sign in to follow this  
aeallison

Mid-mount Box Blade

aeallison

Hello folks,

I finally managed to collect enough old rusty steel to begin construction on my own version of a 40 inch mid-mount box blade to attach to my 312-8 :banghead:. First thing on the list was rust removal, so I constructed an e-tank...

100_1497.jpg

Here is a pic of some of the materials on standby...

100_1496.jpg

And the first two pieces have been welded together with a hardened steel grader blade edge from a Caterpillar road grader mocked up for positioning the bolt holes.

100_1499.jpg

I ran out of useable daylight and had to stop at this point, we are supposed to have rain in the forecast so I will probably be forced to wait a few days before I can proceed further. I am really looking forward to completing this project before the snow starts falling. :thumbs2:

aeallison

The rain has not arrived here yet so I had time to tack the box together. After doing so I stood back to look at it and it came to me that this might also work as a pull behind box blade that would attach to the sleeve hitch lift. In the pictures below I leaned some loose parts up against the box to get a better view of what it might look like. My thoughts are to make this blade where you could use it in either location by making the different mounts bolt on.

What do you think? Would this be too heavy to raise for the sleeve hitch lift?

100_1503s.jpg

100_1502s.jpg

Moparfanforever

I wouldn't think this would be to heavy , a WH tiller is pretty heavy !!

Butch

I give up. Why is your truck in the air on the jack and jack stand? Or does it have nothing to do with your mid-grader project?

Butch

I give up again!! Why is there a clevis type hitch for the mid-mount? :thumbs2:

aeallison

I give up again!! Why is there a clevis type hitch for the mid-mount? :thumbs2:

:D I wondered if I was going to catch anyone... That is my Camaro on the jack stand, it needed the muffler welded back on and... well... I have been too lazy (or too busy) to let it down. And the clevis hitch is a mock up for me and others to look at to see if this mid mount could also be used as a pull behind. I was thinking it might be too heavy for the hitch but Moparfanforever reminded me of the very heavy tiller attachment that works just fine mounted on the sleeve hitch. :banghead:

I had a long and tedious day trying to fix a friends Ford 8N tractor. Its running now and I am ready for bed... goodnight. :banghead:

aeallison

I just wanted to add an update to this thread for those of you who are interested. I have not been able to move along very fast on this due to needing some steel to continue. I want to add scarifiers <<< spelling? :wh: and have been unable so far to acquire the needed materials. Sorry, no new pictures but be assured I am still working on it. :dunno:

KyBlue

I'd think the rear lift would pick it up okay. Could always Add a helper spring like the tiller has ..

Will be following along

3238dpw

Ok, since the change over I can't use my old favorites. So I am hoping someone can provide the link to the mid mount box blade thread that had it completed and all painted :dunno:

aeallison

Ok, since the change over I can't use my old favorites. So I am hoping someone can provide the link to the mid mount box blade thread that had it completed and all painted :dunno:

I don't see it either and since I posted to that thread it should have been in my archived posts. It may have been lost in the move. :wh: I did however save the pictures and I am including them below. I will in no way take credit for these photos nor will I claim any affiliation with their owner. These are purely archival images.

armytractorandbellyblade006.jpg

armytractorandbellyblade007.jpg

armytractorandbellyblade005.jpg

To the Admins: If this is breaking any rules please delete this post.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Looks Good... :dunno:

~Duke

3238dpw

Who was the original poster of that box blade? If I remeber right he was going to make a few more and sell them.

CasualObserver

I've looked for it, and that thread is gone... completely... lostthread.gif

I had posted in it as well... and cannot find it. I'm glad someone saved the pictures. If anyone knows who the original poster was, please let us know. I don't remember either.

aeallison

Who was the original poster of that box blade? If I remeber right he was going to make a few more and sell them.

His screen name is wovennut I am not real sure of his intentions to make any more. I am not even very sure how active he was on the board. However if I can manage to come up with enough steel I did plan on making my version of these for members. I still need to complete my prototype though. If all goes well I may work on it some today. Wish me luck. :dunno:

wovennut

I'm the one that made the box blade. I plan on making some this winter and have ready for the spring Portland In. show

aeallison

I'm the one that made the box blade. I plan on making some this winter and have ready for the spring Portland In. show

There you are :help: I hope I did some justice to what you started, that box blade of yours really got my gears turning. I am not in any position to buy implements, but building them is another story. :dunno: Don't worry any about me building too many either, I am not entirely sure I have the steel to even finish mine. :wh:

3238dpw

So Wovenneut, Do you have any pics of your box blade mounted on a tractor? :dunno:

wovennut

not yet. But when I get the time I'll post a video of it in operation :dunno: