HorseFixer

WH 520-H Refresh & Rebuild

kpinnc

oh, i almost forgot, its great to hear somebody else having fun mounting tires.....

Those Firestone tri-ribs are some of the hardest tires to mount of any I've ever done. Better to paint the wheels AFTER you mount them for sure.

HorseFixer

oh, i almost forgot, its great to hear somebody else having fun mounting tires.....

Those Firestone tri-ribs are some of the hardest tires to mount of any I've ever done. Better to paint the wheels AFTER you mount them for sure.

Thanks Guys :thumbs:

Kevin: Sing it Brother Sing It! Me too for sure, this is the second set of those that I have done the sidewalls must be made outta KEVLAR :eek: What I use to

put them on is a couple Long Texas Screwdrivers and then take Vinyl Clear tubing and push overthe Do Divers so it dont scratch the Rims. Then I use

Ru Glyde tire bead lube that stuff is slippery as Snott and it was still a stinker. MJ wasnt around so had to tackel um myself. Just to have an extra hand to

hold something while yer readjusting your Bite helps a whole bunch. :thumbs2: The rears where easy in comparison. :eusa-whistle:

Cheers ~Duke

:beer:

Suburban 550

Lookin' good, buddy. :handgestures-thumbup: Hope you get alot more snow than what we got this winter. All I needed was a broom.

wheelhorse656

any updates?

mrc

NICE SHOP and TRACTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mike in mass.

wh500special

Wow Duke, you're really outdoing yourself on this one! I hadn't been following this thread but wish I had. It's really looking great so far!

Stay upwind of the lead vapors :)

Steve

KyBlue

You know I should check in more often... 7 pages is a bit much to read though Duke!! Top Shelf Redo bud!!! That chucker will outlive you and if taken care of ... your kids!!

Keep up the awesome work. Oh, if you keep adding stuff to it, you're gonna run out of room in the Cab for Duke... Thats what you need ... Remote Controlled. You can Chuck from inside the house!!

wheelhorse656

Duke any updates?

wheelhorse656

hows the work been coming along? any updates

HorseFixer

Well got back on the 520-H ordered a set of heavy duty 2 link chains for the Ole Girl and today started on the rear end figured I would get it cleans up painted and start reassembly well I noticed that there was a few drips from around the rear wheel hubs. :banghead: I had one heck of a time getting the hubs off the axle and in doing so i feel play up and down on the axels so tomorrow I will be getting into the rear end. Never been in one before I figure minimum will be bearings seals and new gasket anyone been inside and know what else I should be looking for? :dunno: I just cant seem to catch a break! Seems like I get screwed more than hue hefner! :lol: anyways if anyone has any tips shoot em at me. :thumbs2:

Thanks ~Duke

Jake Kuhn

Glad your back on her duke! Sorry I know nothing about hydro's,wish I could help. ~Jake

HorseFixer

Thanks Jake, Well this morning I got after it and did the dissasembly on the tranny. :handgestures-thumbupright: It was all pretty straight forward and all the gears look wonderfull and mesh real tight. :thumbs2: I removed the outer bearings and seals with a punch on one side. On the other I used a piece of 1" Glav Pipe that is just a wee bit smaller that the outer diameter of the bearing and does a wonderfull job driving the bearing and seal out without damage to the bearings (see pictures). There is not much thrust and pressure on the inner bearings and they have no slop I can feel So they bwont need replacing. The outer needle bearing pack gets all the load, so after inspection Im into (2) outer Axel bearings # 9416, (2) Axel Seals # 6449, (2) Brake Shaft Bearing # 1538, (1) Brake Shaft Seal # 253-44, (1) Tranny Gasket # 108312. Will have all these parts Wends Didnt really like the price :eek: of $130.00 Buckaroos for all of that but will get with Motion Industries and get their prices and part numbers if I ever get into this again. other than the tranny Gasket they would prolly be 25% Cheaper on all the other parts. I feel confident after doing this work the tranny will give good service for many years to come as I seen no shavings in the case or oil that was drained when I strained it just some creamy goo that I cleaned out. Anyways here are some pics of the dissassembly.

Cheers :beer: ~Duke

DSCN5089.jpg

DSCN5088.jpg

DSCN5090.jpg

DSCN5091.jpg

DSCN5092.jpg

DSCN5094.jpg

DSCN5095.jpg

DSCN5096.jpg

DSCN5097.jpg

DSCN5098.jpg

DSCN5101.jpg

DSCN5106.jpg

DSCN5107.jpg

smoreau

Looks like your doing a stand up Job on that eaton there Duke! Should be as good as new! looking forward to the new updates Duke!

Sparky

Hmmmm.......even the inside of the tranny is painted red? Nice job all around Duke. Of course its what we have come to expect from you, nuttin half-assed comes outa your garage!

Mike...........

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys! :thumbs2: Hmmmmmm :eusa-think: Sparky yeah isnt that sumptin? :scratchead: I wonder why they did that? Painting the inside I mean? I would say so rust particles wouldn't form and wash in the oil? :dunno: Gotta get this done So's I can get back on the 701! :ychain: Been off that project since spring of 2009 :eek:

~Duke

MalMac

And when you get back on that 701 you mighy just have an extra 701 steering support to weld If I can twist your arm enough.

HorseFixer

Tim, That depends how much apple juice we drink before hand! :ychain:

stevasaurus

Great pictures Bob...that trans looks real clean and good. I'll bet you save more then 25% on anything you can find at Motion Industries. :) :)

HorseFixer

Thanks Steve :thumbs2: Well since Im waiting on putting my parts order in tomorrow for my tranny parts I have been sandblasting and painting some Parts, brake parts, linkage parts, pulleys, wheel hubs and other odds and ends. I noticed the tie rod boots are all bucked up and flat looking not giving the grease pockets a good seal. I went to Auto Zone and in the HELP! Section that has odds and end parts they have a package of two boot covers # 13566 I put a small notch and that holds the boot on the Rod better and really seals nice. So theres an option to useing orginals and I dont see just the boot listed in the parts breakdown. Here some pics

DSCN5108.jpg

DSCN5109.jpg

DSCN5113.jpg

DSCN5115.jpg

DSCN5117.jpg

DSCN5119.jpg

DSCN5120.jpg

DSCN5122.jpg

• Like 1

Martin

looking good there duke.

been waitin patiently for you to get back on this horse!........ :thumbs:

i think they painted the insides of all the hydros, from what i can remember everyone on here ive seen apart was the same color inside.

HorseFixer

looking good there duke.

been waitin patiently for you to get back on this horse!........ :thumbs:

i think they painted the insides of all the hydros, from what i can remember everyone on here ive seen apart was the same color inside.

Martin, Sparky mentioned Red well its like an Orangeish color and may even be powder coated. And I'm staying with the anti Rust theory as we all know cast Iron Rusts like a B*tch and by that creamy color goo in the bottom of the trany in the pictures I’m sure condensation forms when cooling and oil draws moisture anyways so the coating Im sure protects from rust which brings me to another question?????? How about coating the inside of a unidrive???? I would think the benefits would do the same thing whatcha think? would it be worth the effort :dunno: Hey and another thing :tools-wrench: for the guys who have shown interest in the remote oil filter Sorry for the delay... :handgestures-thumbupright: gimme a month till I get the engine on, and location checked out and tested of the remote filter. I don’t want to sell anything that is not working to my standards. Anyways I hope by end of next weekend to have a rolling chassis :thumbs2: Lord knows winter will be just around the corner and I suspect a heck of a winter being lake Michigans water temp is really still high which means when it gets cold out will be plenty of humidity off the water causing lake effect snows. :eek: Which means plenty of seat time for me! :dance: After this my 701 and possibly 551 is on deck if I have enough time before next years show.

Cheers ~Duke

Martin

i thought about doing the inside of the 1057 trans when i powdered that. (inside engine too, but thats getting off topic :thumbs: )decided against it since i really wanted to smooth the cast before paint, and i already put a bunch of time into the case on the outside......(did anyone mention these are just garden tractors :confusion-scratchheadblue: )

would make it look nice and like you said help with the water/condensation issues........

smoreau

I know that all the eatons are painted on the inside. I have also seen it done to built car engines for some reason, I think it was for better oil flow back to the the sump, and less rust build up when its been sitting all winter long. but thats just a guess. I know there is a reason for it though. I think painting the inside (or powder coating) a uni drive is a great idea Duke! I have seen too many all rusted up on top part of the trans.

HorseFixer

Well got my rear end parts yesterday and got the rear end bearing and seals installed and rear end back together no slop now in the axels not one bit. :thumbs2: Got my chains delivered and I am not happy not one bit :no: maybe I am over critical the chains I ordered were stated to be heavy duty but comparing to the ones on the Ole C-120 Snow Chucker they Mic'ed out at .318 qnd these Mic'ed out at .222 kinda spindley in comparison :eusa-think: guess next time Ill buy Some Semi Chains like they use on Ice Road Truckers :lol: Dang I paind $65.00 buckaroos not cheap by no means, kinda makes me mad that they dont give the gauge thickness guess Ill ask next time. :eusa-whistle: Well Ill be painting tomorrow and Sunday hope to have a rolling chassis. Here is some pics.

Cheers ~Duke

DSCN5137.jpg

DSCN5138.jpg

DSCN5139.jpg

DSCN5140.jpg

DSCN5141.jpg

DSCN5142.jpg

DSCN5143.jpg

DSCN5144.jpg

HorseFixer

Well today I worked on painting the frame and rear and front end. I had been degreaseing and wire wheelin for the past week and finally got everything cleaned up enough to paint. Everything covered well but was alot of masking and covering intricate parts and everything it is drying now along with a bunch of small parts. I used Valspar Restoration series IH Red and the Black Is Restoration series low gloss Black. I Will start assembling tomorrow. :handgestures-thumbupright: heres some pics.

DSCN5147.jpg

DSCN5148.jpg

DSCN5149.jpg

• Like 3