HorseFixer

WH 520-H Refresh & Rebuild

MalMac

Hey Duke you need to slap a plow on her. I have a plow on C-81 plus the 2 stage on the 520. I think I use the plow more because we don't seem to get the big snows anymore. Seems like of all the big horse's around here I seem to end up using tha 8hp the most.

You could use the plow to get the snow down the drive for the finale big blow by the chucker to put it out of the way. Just a thought.

• Like 2

HorseFixer

Tim, Well thats the plan, If ya watched My Videos somewhere along the way I have mentioned that. :thumbs: What I want to do is Make it Hydraulic to turn the blade left and right but I am going to do it defferently by useing two 12V solenoid valves to direct the flow to the Cylinders that way I can use the existing rocker switch on the control panel. Thats next years Fall project along with Refurbishing and rebuilding the blower on the Snow Chucker. :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke

MalMac

Duke don't wait too long to rebuild that 2 stage. Like everything else Toro will be putting the Ka-Bosh to them. Especially the non popular attachments. I would think the bearings and seals can be bought out of house but the gears and parts particular to that beast won't be around very long.

HorseFixer

Duke don't wait too long to rebuild that 2 stage. Like everything else Toro will be putting the Ka-Bosh to them. Especially the non popular attachments. I would think the bearings and seals can be bought out of house but the gears and parts particular to that beast won't be around very long.

You need to sell me yours! :eusa-whistle: Ill throw in a few Jars of Apple Juice :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke

JoeM

I know what you mean about that fuel gauge going down on the 20! I got tht 520 loader and been playing around, it likes fuel too! But there ain't nothing like the sound of a onan diving into the governor. Super job Duke!

Ken B

Very nice pics Duke, its kinda like the passing of the torch......The C-120 did look a little reluctant to give it up though!

HorseFixer

Thanks Ken :handgestures-thumbupright:

Well an Update on the Project.... :eusa-think: I ran into a couple Snafoo's :no: Jeeeesh remember the nice stainless Wheel Weight Molds I made? The Freekin things wont release or come outta the molds! Now I made the blasted things in a trapazoid shape and they are 3/8 to 1/2 tapered so you would think they would just fall out. NOPE! I worked on them for 3 hrs and put nuts on the bolts tapped them all over and "NO DICE" I was tellin a buddy about it and he said BULL %#*T and he came over worked an HR on them ended up Bucking up the threads with SLUGGO and left with a wrenched out back! :jaw: SO I gave them a Good Fixin and laid them on the Turkey Fryer and Melted them down into 6 smaller pieces. I came up with a new mold and will recast those by this weekend.

The second Snafoo is I was working on testing my new Pump and Solenoid that would Refill The Main nTank and The Gauge Went to Zero on the Fuel Gauge. Well to trouble shoot this ya have to take the seat off, the seatpan off, Support the cab cause the seatpan supports the cab, Remove the sending unit which I did and found out that the sending unit is bad as Ohm Reading do not change when the float moves up and down. But does go to full when ya short them together. :confusion-shrug: Soo I have a new one ordered. I guess Hindsight is 20/20 take it from me replace the fuel sending unit while doing a restoration. :handgestures-thumbup: Anyways nothing else to report for now.

Cheers :beer: ~Duke

Sparky

Enough of this restoration stuff Duke.

I WANT A VIDEO OF IT CHUCKIN SNOW COMPLETE WITH A YARD STICK TO SHOW SNOW DEPTH AND A 100' TAPE MEASURE TO SHOW DISTANCE!

I have very little patience...........

:ychain:

Mike...........

• Like 4

pumper.atv

I WANT A VIDEO OF IT CHUCKIN SNOW COMPLETE WITH A YARD STICK TO SHOW SNOW DEPTH AND A 100' TAPE MEASURE TO SHOW DISTANCE!

Mike...........

I think we are all waiting for that :eusa-whistle:

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Mike...........

I think we are all waiting for that :eusa-whistle:

Me TOO! :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle: Hopefully in a Couple Weeks I Will Be Able To Get It Finished, Get Some Snow And Wet All Our Whistles! :ychain: The Really Big Snows Normally Come In Jan Tho. :dunno:

~Duke

MalMac

Hey Duke with that lake being alittle warmer this year we have the perfect set up if the winds are right. But the 50deg. Temps we are having is not going to pick up that lake moisture and deposit it on us. Gona take a big cold blow, to start that lake effect machine. Anyone that lives by the lake knows what that means. Not by inches but how many feet.

HorseFixer

Well Timbo I have bigger problems than to do my snow dance! :eusa-whistle: I called My local Toro Dealer to see if my sending unit came in and guess what? :dunno: The Parts doode told me the sending unit is no longer available :no: doode I says, then why didnt you call me back and tell me this yesterday? (LONG SILENCE) :help: So I called another Toro dealer to ck and sure enough "NO SOAP" So now what is a HorseFixer to do? :eusa-think: Other than drinking a couple Qts of apple juice. :beer: Well guess I will hafta modify and try to retrofit my own. :tools-wrench: So I ordered a couple will start to work on them when I get them tomorrow. :handgestures-thumbup:

~Duke

312Hydro

Are you doing the mod Wheelbearing did? Here's the link to that page. I remembered reading about it and thought I'd pass it along. Probably want to pm him.

HorseFixer

Yes Rich, I'm going to use Bob's Idea :rolleyes: and try and retrofit one. Thanks Bob for the great Idea :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke

MalMac

Duke, my sending units (knock on wood) still work. But the day they don't I'll just go to the tried and true method. "When it quits running I know I am out of gas" but I can't figure out why that always happens when I am in the middle of the road turning around. :confusion-scratchheadblue: You know a thought just occurred to me. Why not check the gas before I start. Quit laughing, some of are slow to catch on. The worst part is I know I will turn right around and do it again.

HorseFixer

Recieved the sending unit and did some modifications to it as Wheelbearing did. :tools-wrench: I did things like after it was set on the adjustment slide I soldered in place so it would not move. Anyways After installing I went to work on piping and installing the solenoid and fuel pump to transfer the fuel from the auxillary tank to the main tank. I installed a momentary push button switch on the side of the main control box which when pushed, operates the solenod and pump. On trying out and testisng the system I found altho the float is not bound up or touching anything in the tank it is a lil sticky??? :dunno: When I move the tractor either through vibration or whatever it moves where it should and reads the right fuel level. I took about 2 1/2 minutes to fill the tank from empty to 1/2 full when the tractor was moving while dipressing the push button the fuel level came right up. I am sure over time the float action will loosen up. :scratchead: I had ordered 2 of these sending units and tested one right out of the box in an open container of water and it did the same thing it was sticky also. Here are some pics I will consider the fueling problem now solved now onto recasting the wheel weights.

DSCN6000.jpg

DSCN6015.jpg

DSCN6019.jpg

DSCN6020.jpg

DSCN6023.jpg

DSCN6024.jpg

DSCN6025.jpg

Edited by HorseFixer

ol550

Much better :handgestures-thumbup: Now, where is the snow? :scratchead:

312Hydro

Glad it works. What part number is that sending unit?

HorseFixer

Brotherds of the Horses My next set of pictures will show ya what I Dids and how I did it and Part #'s

My weight Idea didnt work, what I did was use a Cakes Mold from Christmas Teee Shops, They Come with 4 Molds for A$ 5.00 and 10" to 7" and the lead leakeds out :eek:

Im pretty pissed right nowe and am into the Morgan pretty heavey and dont feelsa about talking aboutr it.

~Dukes

HorseFixer

Much better :handgestures-thumbup: Now, where is the snow? :scratchead:

NORT POLE Wit father christmase

Edited by HorseFixer

midnight rambler

duke, i have a good running 520 motor on ebay now, check it out i put pics of the compression test, engine was cold. you can get decent money out of your old parts on the bay. i will even be in the area next weekend

gomer gump

mal mac u run outta gas again ha lmfao

HorseFixer

Well after the catastophe on the pretty Stainless Steel reuseable molds I made I couldnt get thye lead out without bucking the threads up. :eek: Trust me, 3 people tried to no avail. I then tried an Idea and used a cake mold the kind with the hasp on the side and bottom that falls out well so much for that :eusa-whistle: I got more lead on the concrete than in the mold. So I then did what I shoulda done in the first place and that was buy a Cookie Tin which is about 9 1/2" The problem is with those is that they have a 1/4" to 3/8" recess on the bottom of them and that will buckel bad when filled with lead so what I did was flip the Tin over and fill the bottom with Hydraulic Cement and put it in my gas grill with 1 burner on low and cooked em up till they where curred about 3 hrs. I then put a square piece of metal about 16 ga on the bottom and flipped the tin over on a concrete block. I leveled the block with a shim and then was able to melt the lead and pour in the tin and let cool. That worked great and the lead was 9 1/2" around and 3" deep and turned out weighing in at 85 lbs. So on the wheels I have 170lbs and I figure off the back with the tank mount and fuel I have another 130 lbs for a total of 300 lbs. :handgestures-thumbupright: I then drilled the weights with a 9/16" Bit and after that was complete I primed and painted the weights and let dry. The stainless steel circular discs I had cut with a plazma cutter I sanded the edges and then sandblasted them so they would have a good profile for paint and then primed and painted them and let cure. The weights where I painted were dry so I mounted them with 1/2 X 4 1/2" zinc bolts with SS washers and SS Nylock nuts. I recieved my Decals from Terry and then applied them to the painted SS Discs and then went out and alligned them on the wheel and drilled the lead and used 1/4" X 4 1/2" SS Lag Bolts with 1/4"SS washers and then mounted them. I had mounted my chains on the wheels allready so Im getting pretty close on wrapping this project up. :tools-wrench:

Oh and on those Vent holes on the cab corners I cut some vinyl fabric I had purchased from orginal cab co a couple years ago and used some High Tack adhesive the same stuff I used to glue the vinyl on the dash. I will see how it holds up and If it doesnt I will then sew it in place. I still have to work out getting some heat in the cab and I think a deflector to block off the area where the muff was might do that pretty good. Anyways here are some pics.

2012-12-04161957.jpg

2012-12-04164516.jpg

2012-12-04164234.jpg

2012-12-05054146.jpg

DSCN6046.jpg

DSCN6048.jpg

DSCN6050.jpg

DSCN6052.jpg

DSCN6066.jpg

DSCN6058.jpg

DSCN6061.jpg

DSCN6053.jpg

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Nice work Duke! Sounds like those wheel weight got pretty frustrating there for awhile. :banghead: I'm glad you found a method that work, now the rest of us can do it that way, and not have to go through the royal pain in the backside that you did! :ROTF: The decals look great, and thats one tough looking machine! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

Looks awesome duke! So, when is the snow gonna fall? I would of thought we would of had some now. I have a very disapointing c120 to mess with but would like to see how she works. ~Jake

• Like 1