HorseFixer

WH 520-H Refresh & Rebuild

MalMac

Yes I reckon you did say expanded metal. Last I checked that stuff was not on the cheap list. Now don't you feel better the tank has got some protection not to mention a great palace to put a Wheel Horse emblem. The fab looks like it's going good.

HorseFixer

Yeah I feel better, but will feel even more better when Its done and get my garage cleaned up and cars inside for winter! :eusa-whistle:

Well had to do some layout work today and some more fabrication on the tank extension arm and axel shackels. After that was complete had alot of Metal cleanup before painting. I was wondering how much everything weighed and the whole fam damily weighed 75 lbs and thats more being its hanging off the back of the tractor something I dont like to do. :eusa-think: But there was just no way around it as refueling was a major pain and no way was I filling the :wh: through the cab. Well here are some pics got everything painted. Jsut keep hammering away will see it done soon I hope.

Cheers :beer: ~Duke

DSCN5941.jpg

DSCN5942.jpg

DSCN5945.jpg

DSCN5943.jpg

DSCN5944.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Looking good Duke. :thumbs: Sure am glad to see the red going on over that funky blue! :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

HorseFixer

Looking good Duke. :thumbs: Sure am glad to see the red going on over that funky blue! :ROTF:

Thanks Matt, Yeah that blue is enough to GAG a MAGGOT! but thats True ONAN Colors :handgestures-thumbdown: Glad I rescued that tank and gave it a Suitable life! :eusa-whistle:

~Duke

• Like 1

Ken B

Thank God you painted that tank, I thought you were gonna leave it that gag a maggot blue at first! (in fact I thought you painted it that color) Lookin good Duke, I hope you get a serious dumpin of snow real soon. I wanna see that beast in action.

MalMac

I do believe that a nice set of small LED's might look good on that expanded metal guard. Mounted down low less glare.

On second thought maybe a highlight shinning on the Wheel Horse emblem mounted back there.

Stigian

Don't forget the red neon's!! :ROTF::ychain:

Great work as ever Duke, the tank guard looks good. :handgestures-thumbup:

HorseFixer

You guys are too Much! :tools-wrench: Build a Grill and now ya wanna put the damn thing in lights! :)

Well today I installed the framework and then installed the tank. As you can see by the pictures the tops of the two tanks are about level. The Big tank holds about 8-9 gal max. The stock tractor tank is 2.5 gallons. You will see in the video that the big tank is about full and when I open the valve to the stock tank the Large Tank back fills into that tank. After the stock tank is empty there will always be about 3-4 gallons of fuel left in the Large add on fuel tank, being it is deeper than the stocktank. I will try and see if I can find a tank sensor for the large tank. Anyways here are some pics of the finished product and a video. :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke

DSCN5946.jpg

DSCN5948.jpg

DSCN5949.jpg

DSCN5961.jpg

DSCN5964.jpg

DSCN5967.jpg

DSCN5972.jpg

DSCN5978.jpg

DSCN5973.jpg

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

Very Nice Duke!! :text-datsphatyo:

ol550

What the heck? I was expecting solenoid valves. :ychain:

HorseFixer

Well Mike I dont think your too far off of what needs to be done. Yes I am happy that I can now fuel The Chucker from the exterior however but there are some drawbacks. I dont want to run the Aux Tank to the Brim as it will be sloshing around in there and the tank has no baffels. As you can see by the sketch I drew there is only about 2 3/4 gallons between both tanks unitil the Original Tank runs dry. Once that happens I believe the Fuel system will start sucking air from the empty tank and most likely cause some problems. The other problem is I would have to shut that valve off in order for it to draw off the larger tank. I dont want all that fuel to be in the large tank without being rotated as too keep a fresh batch in there until used. As I see it I have Several Options.

1) I could throw a 12V solenoid valve inline of the existing tractor tank fuel line and shut it off allowing it to pull and use fuel off the larger tank when the smaller tank runs low on fuel so it doesnt suck air..

2) I Could just fill the Larger Aux Tank acting as a resovoir and put an inline fuel pump in and force the fuel into the Smaller existing tank kinda use it as a fueling station for the smaller one I could use the fuel gauge to determin when full.

3) I could abandon the smaller tank all together. Hate to do that Cause I would like to be able use the onboard fuel gauge.

4) Could use it like # 1 just operate shutoffs manually.

What you guys think? :dunno:

Thanks ~Duke

520 AUX TANK.bmp

bowtiebutler956

Well, no. 3 is not an option, as your digital fuel gauge is awesome. :text-datsphatyo: Is no.2 able to be done while in use, or would you have to shut it off while pumping into the small tank.? If you could do it on the fly, that would be a great idea, as you would always be able to read your fuel gauge. Is there anyway to install a fitting in the gas cap on the small tank, and pump the fuel in that way? :hide:

Edited by bowtiebutler956

smoreau

I do believe that a nice set of small LED's might look good on that expanded metal guard. Mounted down low less glare.

On second thought maybe a highlight shinning on the Wheel Horse emblem mounted back there.

I like the thought of lighting up that Wheel Horse emblem! You got to highlight a emblem like that!

MalMac

Duke I have driven some trucks that had small transfer pumps to pump fuel from one tank to the other. I though they came in quite handy. Also I believe there are aircraft that have transfer pumps and I know there are watercraft that do. So why not a Wheel Horse. That way you can control what and how much in each tank never allowing the main tank to go dry and prevent sucking air. Also another benefactor would be keeping the fuel stirred or transfered over to be burned before it gets stale.

312Hydro

My '78 Chevy truck has dual tanks with a selector switch on the dash. The fuel gauge reads whatever tank you select. Might be a nice option if you have a sending unit for both tanks. Possibly consult the "Squirrel" SOI :bow-blue: . I'm sure he already figured this out yesterday!

roscoemi

if you put the bottom of the big tank above the bottom of the stock one, plumb out of the bottom of the big one into the small one above the bottom the remote will always keep the stocker filled. When your gas gauge starts moving, you are now on reserve.

• Like 2

HorseFixer

if you put the bottom of the big tank above the bottom of the stock one, plumb out of the bottom of the big one into the small one above the bottom the remote will always keep the stocker filled. When your gas gauge starts moving, you are now on reserve.

roscoemi the reason I put both of the Tanks tops even (actually the stock tank is 1/2" higher) was so I could never overfill the stock tractor tank by having too much fuel in the larger tank. :eek: If I jacked that tank up that high it would be almost behind the seat and would be a lot harder to

support. :eusa-think: The tank being low like I have gives it a lower center of gravity and gives the tank more support. Yep by putting them that way I kinda bucked up by making it too safe. :eusa-whistle: I guess hind sight is 20 /20 but I still am happy that I have a good way to fill without going in the cab and through all that hassle.

I have decided to go option # 2 using the Larger Tank as a Reservoir. And filling the smaller tank as needed. I Already have a brand new in da box Mr. Gasket 12S fuel pump that transfers 35gph which = .58 gal per minute it should take about 4 1/2 minutes to fill the tank I think I can stand that. :) There will also need to be a solenoid valve installed to positively stop the flow once the smaller tank is filled or it will continue to flow to the engine. Ill use a fuel selector valve and just plug the unused port. As in all pumps you install on the discharge side as not valve off the intake side and run the pump dry. :angry-nono: I will have a momentary push button switch that will open the solenoid valve and start the pump instantly and will stop once the push button is released so this should prove to be failsafe. :handgestures-thumbupright: Well anyways thats the plan but Ive said that before! :ychain:

MRGASTKET12S.jpg

FuelSelectorValve.jpg

• Like 1

roscoemi

Gotcha. My thought was if you don't have to lift the aux tank too high, bottom about 1" above the bot of the original, and plumb it this way with a ball valve you could run the stocker almost dry and use the valve to refill it from the aux and have full use of the gauge and no new electronics. Either way you have a hell of a unit, nice job! :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Gotcha. My thought was if you don't have to lift the aux tank too high, bottom about 1" above the bot of the original, and plumb it this way with a ball valve you could run the stocker almost dry and use the valve to refill it from the aux and have full use of the gauge and no new electronics. Either way you have a hell of a unit, nice job! :greetings-clappingyellow:

What I should have done maybe was kinda did like you mentioned and made a bracket and hung the tank on the wall and pumped it in from there! :eusa-whistle: Kinda lika a Gass Station then wouldnt have nuttin hangin off the back. Oh well At least Ill have extra juice on board in Case THE CITY HIRES ME for a snow disaster :ychain: News at 11. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Don1977

Hope you get enough snow this this year to use both tanks of gas. If not how many trips around the block to burn all that gas, we might get dizzy watching the video. :ychain: :ychain:

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Hope you get enough snow this this year to use both tanks of gas. If not how many trips around the block to burn all that gas, we might get dizzy watching the video. :ychain: :ychain:

:hilarious:

MalMac

With that Onan not very many trips around. Never seen a Motor on a Garden Tractor use so much gas as that Onan does. Well maybe a pulling engine but not one in normal use. Just wait till you tie that 2 stage on there Duke and tie into some heavy deep snow. That Onan won't even grunt the only thing that will be pulled down is the fuel Gage. Instead of MPH measurement its " How many inches of snow thrown per gallon" Compared to that Kohler there will be no comparison. I love Kohler's but when that 20HP kicks in the snows gona fly or you will break something. There will be no bogging down. I got to get my snow removal team ready down here because when you start thrown snow up there with the new chucker it will probably land down here. I can see it now on the local news " No lake effect snow tonight just the Duke Snow Chucker effect for all the Indiana counties. Duke will be blowin snow tonight so you Hoosiers when you wake up in the morning will find a new blanket of a foot deep snow courtesy of Duke and the Chucker.

• Like 2

HorseFixer

With that Onan not very many trips around. Never seen a Motor on a Garden Tractor use so much gas as that Onan does. Well maybe a pulling engine but not one in normal use. Just wait till you tie that 2 stage on there Duke and tie into some heavy deep snow. That Onan won't even grunt the only thing that will be pulled down is the fuel Gage. Instead of MPH measurement its " How many inches of snow thrown per gallon" Compared to that Kohler there will be no comparison. I love Kohler's but when that 20HP kicks in the snows gona fly or you will break something. There will be no bogging down. I got to get my snow removal team ready down here because when you start thrown snow up there with the new chucker it will probably land down here. I can see it now on the local news " No lake effect snow tonight just the Duke Snow Chucker effect for all the Indiana counties. Duke will be blowin snow tonight so you Hoosiers when you wake up in the morning will find a new blanket of a foot deep snow courtesy of Duke and the Chucker.

:hilarious:

Lars

Everybody says the Onan use alot of fuel.. hmm My brothers C165- whit the 24 hp onan (PG 224) use less fuel then the kohler 18 hp he has on the D180..

even he have also used blower on the onan.. still use less fuel then the D180 and that is just the tractor... i filled 1.5 quart on it when i took it out of the shed here and it run for about 10-15 mins it ran out of fuel..

So ill dunno..

Lars

HorseFixer

Lars thats very Interesting. :handgestures-thumbupright: Being this is my First Onan powered tractor It will be interesting to see economical it is. My driveway which is about 100' long by 35' wide is a stinker to clean out because about 40' of it has to be blown straight forward between my house and the RV and Neighbors untill I can direct the Chute Right or Left. That means Extra Trips without getting no useful blowing done. That also means Im piling it up as I go Once I have it out where I can get after It well it makes that 12hp Kohler really growl and Grunt (gosh they sound Sooooooo Good when they are working hard!!!!) :dance: I can do my drive 2 to 3 times On a tank of fuel on the C-120 the Gas tank is 3 Gal On the 520 the Fuel Cpacity is 2 1/4 Gallons With that small of tank I can see why a person would think its thirsty cause your filling it all the time! :eusa-whistle: I expect it to burn more fuel than the C-120 But if I can blow my Drive twice on a tank I will be estatic. :USA:

Yesterday was a sad day. It was warm out and I had to get some chores done and get some tractors moved around to make some space in the garage for the autos and get things put away, fuel drained in the lawn equipment, and get things winterized. In the course of all that The Ole C-120 Snow Chucker Got a bath and cleaning and after 3 years of usefull dedicated service I removed the blower from her. But before I did that I took both the Chuckers out front where they would shine and the Ole girl would get her picture taken with the blower on her for the last time. :crying-yellow: She will sit and keep her ole Pal Mr. 417A Company thru the winter the next few months.

~Duke

DSCN5979.jpg

DSCN5980.jpg

DSCN5986.jpg

DSCN5988.jpg