HorseFixer

WH 520-H Refresh & Rebuild

HorseFixer

Thanks Guys! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Well today got busy on the fabbing the Wheel Weight Molds :tools-wrench: and fired up Ole Smokey and laid down a few beads. Here is a video of today's work I didnt get any lead poured because I ran out of daylight with of the time change! :sad: Oh well theres always tomorrow. :dunno:

Cheers :beer:~Duke

• Like 6

dclarke

That should keep those bolts from turning Duke, Nice job..... Gotta get one of those Tigs one of these days.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

very nice work duke! :bow-blue:

bowtiebutler956

Very nice Duke! :bow-blue: I've never tig welded before, but I sure like the results. I've got a mig, and I do pretty well with it, but I can't make it weld that clean! :jaw:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

Forest Road

You sir are absolutely insane! I wish you were my neighbor. I doubt theres ever a dull moment on your block. Shes looking good!

• Like 2

ol550

Nice job on the welds. How much apple juice is required to keep your hands steady enough to do that? :dunno: :ROTF:

HorseFixer

Thanks Gents! FoRrest InsaNe? wHo mE? :teasing-tease:

Mike the more apple juice I drink the better welds get! :beer: I think those were a 3QT job! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Well I got a find today and it will help fuel the chucker. Im not one for hanging weight on the rear of a tractor :angry-nono: but it is neccesary at times :eusa-think: example would be counter weight for a FEL. Fueling in my case would be a pain :no: without a rear mount tank. It would be a pain to fuel the chucker through the cab, I found a tank that is 11" wide X 11" Tall X 17.5 wide I have run a calculation on an internet site and it says that tank size is 9 Gallons So say I fill it to 8 gallons, 8 X 6.07 lbs = 48.56 lbs plus the tank and steel I would put that all at probably 100 lbs. How I am going to support theis tank is with 1/4" X 2.5" X 2.5" angle iron 26" long bolted to rear axel kinda like U bolt but with 9/16 grade 8 Bolts and 5/8 flatstock. I will also have a rear Bumper 30" wide to protect the tank. Looks like Ole Duke has more fabbing to do. :tools-wrench: The tank will be a 1/2 lower in height of the main tank and will be tee'd into the main gas tank and by filling the rear tank it will in essence flow into the main tank filling it. With both tanks full would be a capacity of around 11 gallons. I will just need to be extra carefull while in back up mode which will only be a concern by the garage. Here are some pics of the tank and the steel framework I will use the straps can be moved inward as the mounts they attatch to will be reversed ta match the framework. Geeesh am I ever going to find the end to this project? :dunno: So what ya think?

Cheers :beer: ~Duke

Dont Worry The tank and the mounts will be painter IH Red :eusa-whistle:

DSCN5884.jpg

DSCN5885.jpg

DSCN5886.jpg

DSCN5880.jpg

DSCN5887.jpg

DSCN5888.jpg

DSCN5889.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Talk about having a long run time! :scared-eek: 11 gallons. Wow. I think its a great idea, but I think some Red paint is in order. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Ken B

Very nice, I think this calls for a back up camera! :ychain:

MalMac

With the 520's you always need that extra fuel. With that said I have never been a fan of any fuel tank mounted on equipment on the rear. Even with bumpers there is that chance that in a panic or in my case a brain fart that the tank will end up dented or worst a puncture. Maybe if the tank was mounted higher, but still not crazy about it. But I sure do understand the idea of more fuel for that Onan. They sure due like it. I found out with mine with the 2 stage on under heavy load. (ie) moving a 5 ft drift that went 3/4 of the way up my 300ft drive, it used a lot of fuel.

312Hydro

If you can fab a spot for a fridge,microwave and porta-potty ,you'll be good for days. :ychain: Normally,I wouldn't wish a blizzard on anyone. But for you Duke,I'll make an exception! Your new rig is just screaming for the "Mother of all Snowstorms" just so you can show that beast off!

I have this picture in my head of a local news chopper filming at night. It's cold and the entire town where you live is paralyzed by the huge storm that dumped tons o' snow hours before.The searchlight pans from side to side,and the news crew spots a lone ,unidentified vehicle moving in the night. At first they believe it is a UFO. But no ,as their eyes adjust to the glare of lights and strobes,they see snow spewing as high as the chopper! As the pilot swerves to avoid the plume,the cameraman zeros in on the "Snow Chucker" decal.......... Film at 11 !

Super job on your SC ! :bow-blue:

• Like 4

bowtiebutler956

If you can fab a spot for a fridge,microwave and porta-potty ,you'll be good for days. :ychain: Normally,I wouldn't wish a blizzard on anyone. But for you Duke,I'll make an exception! Your new rig is just screaming for the "Mother of all Snowstorms" just so you can show that beast off!

I have this picture in my head of a local news chopper filming at night. It's cold and the entire town where you live is paralyzed by the huge storm that dumped tons o' snow hours before.The searchlight pans from side to side,and the news crew spots a lone ,unidentified vehicle moving in the night. At first they believe it is a UFO. But no ,as their eyes adjust to the glare of lights and strobes,they see snow spewing as high as the chopper! As the pilot swerves to avoid the plume,the cameraman zeros in on the "Snow Chucker" decal.......... Film at 11 !

Super job on your SC ! :bow-blue:

Thats good stuff Rich!!! :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

• Like 2

dbartlett1958

What more can one say! Let it snow in Dukeville!

HorseFixer

I have this picture in my head of a local news chopper filming at night. It's cold and the entire town where you live is paralyzed by the huge storm that dumped tons o' snow hours before.The searchlight pans from side to side,and the news crew spots a lone ,unidentified vehicle moving in the night. At first they believe it is a UFO. But no ,as their eyes adjust to the glare of lights and strobes,they see snow spewing as high as the chopper! As the pilot swerves to avoid the plume,the cameraman zeros in on the "Snow Chucker" decal.......... Film at 11 ! :bow-blue:

Thanks Guys :thumbs: Rich now Thats funny, I have that same descriptive Picture in my head :eusa-whistle: ...... :ychain: Im not ready for the snow yet guys, ya gotta gimmie till the end of da month. I am a weekend warrior on the fabbing, and i got a bunch to do. now on this tank.

Tim I didnt want to do the tank thing either. I think its big and bulky but it is funtional. The cab sticks out in back almost as far as the tank so that will give me a picture when Im backing up that Im getting to the end of my road. "I HOPE" :scared-eek: How do you fill yours? :dunno: Im just not gonna slop a bunch of gas in my cab and un-snap and un-do the cab fabric everytime I fill the tank. :angry-nono:

~Duke

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Well today Imgot the Par 36 12V Led replacement tractor headlights in the mail and decided to show you guys the difference they make. The whole idea and to stick with the theme of low energy usage as not to tax the charging system heavily those old lights had to GO! the two of them suck almost 6 amps when I can do the job with a tad over two amps and have more light its a no brainer.

Here is what we will be testing.

QUALITYLIGHTING.jpg

Below Is A Side By Side Comparison Of The Old Lights Left Is Lights Off The Right is Lights On so with 8.7 amps - minus 2.8 amps = 5.9 amps, and notice the voltage drop with them on.

DSCN5900.jpgDSCN5901.jpg

Now this is a comparison of amperage with the new lights installed. So with the lights off we are again at 2.8 amps but with them on we are 5.0 amps so 5.0 amps minus 2.8 amps we are useing 2.2 amps. So with 5.9 amps on the old lights minus 2.2 amps = 3.7 amps we are saving.. :bow-blue:

DSCN5900.jpgDSCN5903.jpg

Now lets look at at side by side brightness comparison. The lights on the left are the old lights and the lights on the right are the new LED's. :scared-eek:

DSCN5893.jpgDSCN5906.jpg

So I think with the savings and Brighter Light These Will Fit The Bill. Yeah there not cheap but neither is replacing a stator or voltage regulator. I think an ounce prevention is worth a pond of cure. :thumbs:

• Like 1

MalMac

Well Duke you got a point there on filling it up. I never noticed before on your cab you do not have access to the tank. On the cab for the 300, 400, 500 series there is one big zipper on the back in the middle. It unzips all the way up to the window. I wonder where the fuel fill is on the 5XI's ?

Ken B

I had my 520 out this past Sunday night Trick or Treatin with my son. I thought at the time that the stock lights were bright enough for what I need, but it was also what I call a dirty yellow kinda light they put off or you could call it a warm white color. I'm gonna go with what you just got, crisp and clean, cool white, bright light. Nice!

HorseFixer

<p>

I had my 520 out this past Sunday night Trick or Treatin with my son. I thought at the time that the stock lights were bright enough for what I need, but it was also what I call a dirty yellow kinda light they put off or you could call it a warm white color. I'm gonna go with what you just got, crisp and clean, cool white, bright light. Nice!

Ken Wise Choice! :bow-blue: when you order them get the cool white those are the ones I got and the brightest. :thumbs: shipping will take around 12 days they are slow on getting things out. :sad: ~Duke

HorseFixer

Tonight got home and did some layout work and mounted some angle Iron. Im hoping Im useing strong enough materials w 9/16" Grade 8 Bolts. :ychain: Dont want to spill any of my preciouse fuel at $3.45 a gal. :scared-eek: Here is something how it will look, I have a couple more adjustments to make. I was thinking about how low to the ground structure would be but really all bracketing is no lower than tranny and way higher off ground than the blower mounts and hardware. Yep and as you can see I can easily still get to both the engine remote filter and hydro filter. Well Any opinions shoot em at me before I fire up MR. Lincoln 255 and throw the sherbert to her herbert. :thumbs: Here are some pics. One last thought, do you think I should make a round bumper like outta a 3" Pipe? :dunno:

~Duke

DSCN5910.jpg

DSCN5909.jpg

DSCN5911.jpg

DSCN5912.jpg

DSCN5913.jpg

DSCN5918.jpg

DSCN5914.jpg

DSCN5915.jpg

DSCN5916.jpg

DSCN5917.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Think maybe you could bring some of that angle iron up to protect the top of the tank too Duke?

You know...from any damage you may incur when backing up with too much apple juice in your tank?

I'm just sayin'...it could happen. :confusion-shrug:

MalMac

Duke is it possible to fab a grill type of guard to protect it from bottom to top. I know just about fabbing anything is possible but how practicable? A full grill painted black with a red tank and possibly a Horse Head cut out put on the grill?

HorseFixer

Tim,

I picked up some diamond shaped expanded metal grill material today and checked my inventory of steel and angle Iron and I think I have everything I need to

protect the tank. :handgestures-thumbupright: Since this is your idea then I think I should send you a bill of materials and labor. :eusa-whistle: oh and a cost of a few qts of apple juice to loosen

me up! :ychain: So my welds look better.

Craig how did you know I was gonna add a secret compartment to store me juice. :text-thankyouyellow: should have some pics of progress by Sun.

MalMac

Now i know that buying that diamond plate was like buying real diamonds. Hey as far as my idea, you have to let my relish in the thought that maybe I had a good one. They don't come around very often. Most of the time my ideas seem to always turn around and feast on my back side. IE. (Bite me in the A&%) Back to the juice I need to be making the trip up that way. My jar, she be a empty.

HorseFixer

Tim,

Diamond Plate? :scratchead: I thought I said diamond expanded metal? :dunno: Not a plate full of DIAMONDS! :ychain:

post-252-0-96892900-1352579232.jpg

HorseFixer

Ask and you shall recieve. :) Tim talked me into a GRILL, did some thinkin, :eusa-think: and yes that was a great Idea. I cut and tapered the main support rails and when I rebolted them back on I made sure they were square, actually I used a square as I needed them to be 2" from the tires so I the square worked as a good straight edge and was 2" wide itself. After I had them square I slid the straps on the tank so they would be correct on the rails. I Then removed all the plugs and replaced with Brass plugs and used teflon tape. I then had to dril a 1" hole in the tank support Z rail to run the fuel line through which will be all brass fittings with a 1/4 WOG ball valve. I then went to work on the protective Grill and decided to make a trapazoid shape. I figued the angles needed :scratchead: and spent time on Mr. Horizontal Band Saw. :tools-wrench: I then clamped everything together and Turned it over to Mr. Lincoln's where some was Tiged and some was Migged. Here is what she looks like, Complete with a Horse Head :wh: Tim mentioned. Tomorrow will be 66 deg so looks like the painting will be done! If ya like what Im doin give the Ole Girl a Vote :thumbs:

Thanks ~Duke

DSCN5920.jpg

DSCN5939.jpg

DSCN5938.jpg

DSCN5925.jpg

DSCN5924.jpg

DSCN5931.jpg

DSCN5929.jpg

DSCN5933.jpg

DSCN5934.jpg

DSCN5935.jpg

DSCN5936.jpg