HorseFixer

WH 520-H Refresh & Rebuild

MalMac

Hey Duke wheres the link to the video. I wanna see the wiper. Hope you got the window in ok.

Shuboxlover

Sweet video Duke.....those LED's are AMAZING!!!! I want some!!!! Where did you get them?

Also, how many more ponies (no pun intended) :D do you think you'll get with the .020 over rebuild?

Hydro

There are lots of threads about the obstruction of air movement for the rear cyclinder of the Onan in the Wheel Horse application. I have a photo I've taken of a single Kohler sitting in a Wheel Horse and all one has to do is look where the Onan cylinder would be to see how mch restriction there really is. That said Duke if you're using it in the winter hopefully temps will be low enought there won't be any problems. It's strange some of those engines have lots of hours others not. I don't know how to upload the photo to this thread but it really shows the air for the rear cylinder has nowhere to go. I would really consider what 118lfd recomends.

Good luck Duke!

HorseFixer

Tim the Video Of The Wiper Is Here. Dont know what happend to the link above with the Letters and Stuff somehow it got bucked up. :confusion-shrug:

Shoebox I don't know what 20 over will get me The standard bore is 3.250" There are 1,000 "thousandths of an inch" in one inch. Hence the name.

I dont think thats gonna give me anything much but Im no engine Genius. The LEDS go to fleebay and run a search on 15w LED floodlights and look for a place called SANDMACK Lighting or something like that they sell all kinds of wattages.

314 I hear ya and have swedged the seats. Like you I have read alot on these engines and there are multiple things that happen when they drop a

rear valve seat. Yes its hot out, The Rear Jug is dirty and packed with grass, the Oil filter blocks airflow, And most likely there is a 60" deck on the

Machine and the engine is being worked hard.That being said.....

The Chuckers Jugs will be clean as its being run in winter, The Temp outside will be below 40 deg. The Oil filter will be mounted remotley. And did I

mention I use Amsoil? :greetings-clappingyellow: And Speaking of engines I started in tonight. Assembled the pistons and replaced the Main Bearings and Seals.

DSCN4163.jpg

DSCN4164.jpg

Anything with WOLVERINE on its gotta be good!!! :)

DSCN4165.jpg

DSCN4175.jpg

DSCN4168.jpg

DSCN4174.jpg

DSCN4169.jpg

DSCN4173.jpg

KyBlue

I'll keep my Royal Purple Assembly Lube .. I'm quite surprised your not using Amsoil lube ... do they even make it? Ahh well nice progress anyhow Duke!

HorseFixer

Gee Scotty, Royal Purple??? Use that stuff ya might as well use whale sperm! :) Heck I dunno I have some Lucas stuff and Lubriplate maybe ill mix um all together and make a cocktail! :whistle:

Brrly1

Duke, I really like your buildup, but what kind of money do you figure you will have in this machine once it is all over, said and done with? Nice build!

HorseFixer

Duke, I really like your buildup, but what kind of money do you figure you will have in this machine once it is all over, said and done with? Nice build!

Thanks John, I wouldn't even want to start to add it up! But I would bet by the time I am all done with it and all the Special groceries & rebuilt and all, I would say about 6 G :eek: A buddy of mine and I had a simular conversation and he said Gee thats a little much isnt it? :dunno: I looked at him and said how much you got in that 4wheel dr truck and new stainless steel Snow way plow? :text-nocomment: I said ya know look at it this way, when yer layin out in the driveway flat on yer back havin a heart attack from shoveling snow at that point that 6-G would sound pretty cheap when your life is flashing in front of you. :handgestures-thumbupright: Besides enjoy yerself watchin me waste my money! :ychain:

~Duke

• Like 2

HorseFixer

Ok did a little more on the engine tonight here are some pics.

DSCN4178.jpg

DSCN4179.jpg

DSCN4180.jpg

DSCN4181.jpg

DSCN4176.jpg

DSCN4182.jpg

DSCN4184.jpg

DSCN4185.jpg

DSCN4186.jpg

DSCN4187.jpg

DSCN4188.jpg

Jake Kuhn

Looks great Duke! :bow-blue:

MalMac

As long as I have been around these little red beast, it still amazes me how we can bring home a fixer upper thinking it will only take a little bit to get it going and be a usable tractor. The next thing you know you got a ton of $$$ in it and the end is still not in sight or is still a ways down the road. What is sad is I am guilty as can be in doing this and worst yet is I have done it more than once and to top it off I know it will happen again. I know Duke when your done you will have a very dependable tractor that will chuck as only a chucker can. But you have to admit when you look in the mirror you see the all telling Wheel Horse knot on your forehead where you bang your head against the wall saying why did I ever bring this one home. You know the answer, because it's not just a hobby it's a passion and there lies the reason for the financial decisions we make that could bankrupt a small country. Good Luck, look like is going good so far.

• Like 1

Rollerman

Duke looks good, is the tractor ready for the engine yet or one step at a time thing?

HorseFixer

Duke looks good, is the tractor ready for the engine yet or one step at a time thing?

Nope this is where I am at. Will keep thrashing away I am off 12 days over X-Mas I figure I will geter

Done mid to late Jan. Still maybe able to squeeze in a flake or two of snow!

Tim 10/4 on the $$$$ and passion thing. Yep It will be nice when completed I guess maybe When The Duke

gives up the Ghost MJ can Burry me in it! :eek:

ol550

Duke, If you can come up with gas money I'll come up there and show you how to

get that little project done before it snows. :ychain: Looks like I could have saved

you a lot of money if that thing would have fell off the trailer on the way up. :ROTF:

Mike

truckin88

is a 2 stage going on this one?

Don1977

Duke to go out and buy a tractor equal to your Wheel Horse when you finish, you would have 10 grand in it. Look at it this way you just save 4 grand and got a better tractor.

HorseFixer

Truckin, Yep this will have the C-120's and the C-120 will become the snow pusher :thumbs:

Don yeah thats what I tell MJ when a couple more hundred fly out the wallet! :roll: Somehow I dont think she's buying it. Well looks like Dec 14th was my last update. So Here Goes.

Have been working on the engine and have main part done, stator installed, flywheel on, and valves adjusted,Heads on, and I'm Starting on the rest of the engine assembly. All the engine tin had a 1/2" of grease on it (leaky ba*stard) :eusa-think: Oil drain tube was loose and floppy causeing oil to get everywhere. So after cleaning up the engine Tin I gave it a good blastin, primed and painted. Anyways heres some pics. Hoping to geter fired up over weekend. :thumbs2:

Cheers ~Duke

:beer:

DSCN4217.jpg

DSCN4219.jpg

DSCN4221.jpg

DSCN4223.jpg

DSCN4220.jpg

DSCN4231.jpg

DSCN4230.jpg

DSCN4228.jpg

DSCN4226.jpg

DSCN4232.jpg

Sparky

As to be expected Duke....your doing a great job with fantastic attention to detail! Thanks for the update.

Mike..........

Jake Kuhn

looks great Duke :handgestures-thumbup:

HorseFixer

Well today I was hoping to hand some Engine Tin but I was forced to use Valspar Std tractor paint did not have any

restoration series that drys faster. I took the Tin in the house to dry. I decided to work on the starter and took

a look inside and found it all gunked up with mung and drool and grass clippings I figure why would that be any

different after all its been the story of this beauty. So over to the solvent tank we went, got some electric motor

cleaner and gave it a good douching. I greased the bushings and the throw out gear and then polished the Comutator

best I could, but the main treat was to get the end bell with brishes over the commutator. I thought a minute and

made a tool out a small piece of PVC pipe. I removed one brush compressed the other two and eased the PVC pipe in

between them and then released the brushes on the PVC. I then installed the third brush and alligned it over the

commutator and slid the endbell over the com and the brushes slid off the PVC onto the comutator. I then installed

the endbell cover. Here are some pictures of MR. ONAN STARTER. :thumbs:

Cheers ~Duke

DSCN4233.jpg

DSCN4234.jpg

DSCN4235.jpg

DSCN4237.jpg

DSCN4238.jpg

DSCN4246.jpg

DSCN4239.jpg

DSCN4241.jpg

DSCN4243.jpg

DSCN4245.jpg

DSCN4248.jpg

massey

Looks like it's coming together nice there Duke. I like the brush tool too. :handgestures-thumbup:

HorseFixer

Cleaned up the Intake and Carb Today Here are some pics below also a Video of Future plans for the needed Exhaust

stack. The Stack is to close to the cab on the right side so the plans are to extend the rear exhaust forward and combine

both exhaust into one common stack, I also plan on putting a couple sections of Chrome Sheild around the Muff. :thumbs:

~Duke

DSCN4255.jpg

DSCN4254.jpg

DSCN4256.jpg

HorseFixer

Well I'm getting close :dunno: All the engine Tin was dry so I mounted it up today and installed all the groceries and mounted everything. :thumbs: think tomorrow will be the moment of truth. :eek: I think I did everything right :handgestures-fingerscrossed: I need to mount the engine down on something, get some power and fuel to it and I think I can have some FIRE IN THE HOLE! It should be interesting to be honest I'm about as nervous as a dog chitting peach pits! :scared-eek: After looking at the pictures I see I need a new plastic grill mines all Bucked up. :scratchead: Anyway here it is.

Cheers ~Duke

DSCN4265.jpg

DSCN4264.jpg

DSCN4263.jpg

Sparky

Looks great Duke. I've got my fingers crossed that you got it right pal! Lookin forward to the video of this beast runnin!

Mike.............

smoreau

Looks allot better know then when I was there last. I got my fingers crossed and toes for ya Duke. I know it will be peering like a cat soon. Happy New year to Ya Duke!! I will be enjoying some Apple juice tonight!! :thumbs: