Sign in to follow this  
C-Series14

Mt. St. Helens trip...

C-Series14

Well, I have been out here in Washington for over a month, I miss my dog, I miss my diesel, and I miss my WH's. So, to pass my time, I have been to Mt. Rainier, I went to Seattle and went up to the top of the Space Needle, and today, I went to Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument. One word...WOW. To think of the power that was released when that thing blew. I was at the Johnston Ridge Observatory which is 5.5 miles from the volcano. To see the trees blown down at that distance and then to look behind me for several miles and see no trees standing, it must of been unbelieveable. They have a tree in the vistors center that withstood the blast but did break off about 7 foot up. One side was completely smooth from the blast of rock, ice, and other flying debris and the other side still has the bark on it. It was amazing site to see...

can whlvr

the before and after pics of mt st helen are truly amazing,as you said that much power to blow apart a whole mountain

C-Series14

Here is a pic facing southeast towards the crater. I learned not to be there in the morning, the sun and clouds were killing my pics of the mountain!

038.jpg

73-18 automatic

I was there in 95 or 96 and yes it is amazing the power that was released when it exploded WOW is the correct word. I remember driving up to Mt. Saint Helens and it looked like someone dropped a box of toothpicks all over but then as you get closer you relize it is not toothpicks it is good sized trees laying down.

C-Series14

I am guessing they cleaned up alot of the trees. The area around the obsevatory had some trees that were still there but for the future of the area and replanting, I would bet they cleaned the area pretty good. I was amazed at how far away trees were knocked down!!! If you look at pics of the area right after the blast, it is amazing. I believe Spirit Lake still has trees in it....

clintonnut

Wow that picture is really moving! I have seen plenty pictures that were taken "professionally" but ones like this done by an amateur photographer :thumbs2: are so much better because they seem more realistic. Almost like I am standing there where the picture is taken.

:banghead:

Charlie

Coadster32

Great picture, and I'm sure it doesn't do it the justice it deserves.

mavfreak

this is one place i would like to see sometime

tbbahner

The same pic only 5 years earlier! She's still smokin here. Can't believe pics were taken about the same place. The devastation in the blast zone was flat incredible! I found it kind of scary at the vistior center, seeing it still smoking and the buldge in the middle is still growing! A must see if you get the chance

Portland2006114.jpg

Tom B

C-Series14

Tom...that is amazing!!!!! We must of been right in the same place. Great minds think alike.... :thumbs2: