Martin

kohler k241

squonk

I know you al ready bought 100 screws, but if you want only a few, Brian Miller sells them. I just bought like 6 of them last fall.

http://gardentractor...om/carbfuel.htm

kpinnc

You just gotta love the sound of a 10-horse Kohler. Quieter than the 12,14, and 16hp- but still plenty of power. You do good work Martin, and congrats on getting her running!

The original paint on the starter generator looks like a Cub Cadet flavor, but I think most of those models turned the opposite direction. The starters on Cubs were mounted the other way around and turned a pulley on the PTO side instead of the flywheel. Not completely sure what you have there. I wonder if someone rebuilt a Cub starter to run the "right way" for use on a Wheel Horse...

Martin

I know you al ready bought 100 screws, but if you want only a few, Brian Miller sells them. I just bought like 6 of them last fall. http://gardentractor...om/carbfuel.htm

mike, i seen these screws on brians site back when i was doing the carb for this engine. but, im not sure how many of these im going to use over time, ( who can tell what tomorrow will bring) and just for me it was easier to get 100 of them with an order of other stuff from mcmaster carr. im getting stuff through these guys all the time and finding buying in bulk is way cheaper and you can build up a supply of different fasteners for these tractors. you never know when you might need something and if theres some on hand thats great!

fyi... ive done 4 carbs since then and at 4 per carb, including the choke shaft, thats 16 used up. still for only $5.00.....

Martin

You just gotta love the sound of a 10-horse Kohler. Quieter than the 12,14, and 16hp- but still plenty of power. You do good work Martin, and congrats on getting her running! The original paint on the starter generator looks like a Cub Cadet flavor, but I think most of those models turned the opposite direction. The starters on Cubs were mounted the other way around and turned a pulley on the PTO side instead of the flywheel. Not completely sure what you have there. I wonder if someone rebuilt a Cub starter to run the "right way" for use on a Wheel Horse...

i guess more investigating on this s/g is in order when i have some time....................

Martin

thanks for the bumping this thread mike, i sort of went back over it this morning.....

for those that dont know this engine is the one im using in my 1057 build im doing at the moment.....sort of looks a little different now.

the smoke issue and scoring in the bore i put down to rings. when i finally pulled this one right down to rebuild for the 1057 the ring gaps were way over max spec and they werent real firm in the bore. i ended up honing the bore and putting the right oversize rings in and everything seems good now. the test will be firing up this thing to see.......

piston fit was in spec and everything else was ok inside this engine so i couldnt see the need to throw a bunch of money at it.

i sort of forgot how bad this kohler really was.....

shunter

Great thread, to bad all the pictures are gone

rmaynard
3 hours ago, shunter said:

Great thread, to bad all the pictures are gone

:scratchead: All the pictures are gone? I see all of them.