stevasaurus

3 SPEED #5003 RJ 58-59 rebuild

stevasaurus

I got this 5003 transmission from TomWH1971 2 months ago and decided to do an instructional thread on tearing it down and putting it back together. Hope this helps a lot of the members. Here is what I started with, and one of the hubs was one that we all fear...it was stuck.
2010_09295010transmission0001.JPG

2010_09295010transmission0002.JPG

2010_09295010transmission0003.JPG

2010_09295010transmission0004.JPG

I got into a conversation with John (Walfish) and VinceRJ about which trans I really had (either the 5003 or the 5010) and it ends up I had the 5003. One of the differences is where the break pad bolts on the case. (courtesy of Walfish). These pictures show a 5010...the attachment for the brake pad is higher and at a 45 degree angle rather then at a 90 degree angle. There is some internal differences, but the two transmissions are basically the same as far as this thread is concerned as an instructional devise. Thanks John and Vince...
JAKES TRANS 2.JPG

JAKES TRANS 2a.JPG
At this point, I am just going to show some pictures of cleaning up the trans, and what it looks like inside. The 2 videos at the end will show how it all goes back together.
2010_09295010transmission0005.JPG

When taking it apart...you want the brake shaft side up...the input side down.

Shot with the case off and the differential still in place. I took the differential apart to get the axle out with the stuck hub still attached...made a hub puller...which worked fantastic. :thumbs:
2010_09295010transmission0006.JPG

2010_10075003transmission0013.JPG

This shot kind of shows the reverse idler and the fork shafts...which I did not take apart. They were fine and the roll pins to get them apart are not easy to get at. Sorry...I cheated here. :hide:
2010_09295010transmission0007.JPG

Picture of the parts that make up the differential.
2010_10075003transmission0014.JPG

Picture of the rest of the parts that make up the transmission. All of the parts here and above will be named and explained in the following videos at the end of the post.
2010_10075003transmission0015.JPG

2010_10075003transmission0016.JPG

Three pictures of the trans together...what a difference from when I started.
2010_10075003transmission0018.JPG

2010_10075003transmission0019.JPG

2010_10075003transmission0020.JPG

I did 2 videos...1 of the differential...and 1 of the rest of the transmission. Just click on the video to view.

I did not have to replace any bearings, but I can find the numbers and post them later. I did replace the 4 seals... :omg: almost $50..00. The input and brake shaft seals are Timkin #471643...around $7.00 for both. The axle seals (available only from Toro) Part # 83-2840 were $18.94 apiece. The gaskets for the transmission sides are no longer available...you have to either make your own, or use something like "Yamahabond #4"...if you decide to use the bond stuff...just make sure it cures before you put the oil in it...usually 24 to 48 hours. :thumbs: Hope this thread can help many members. :thanks::wh::thumbs:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

racinfool40

:thumbs2: Great Job Steve!!! And to think I was watchin and waiting for you to Smack your thumb putting that differential Back together!!!! :banghead:

JimD

As always Steve, top shelf! :thumbs2:

wallfish

Hey Steve,

For some reason when you edit a post, the video links no longer work. You will have to cut the old ones and paste the new ones back in. (edit the same exact string back into the same spot) As long as you don't edit after the video link is posted again, they will work. I'm not sure what happens to video links when you edit but this is how you can fix it with out adding another post.

Does this make sense?????

Martin

really enjoyed watching them vids steve, i think im ready to do my first trans. :thumbs2:

enjoyed the videos on the later trans build you did in the past as well......

i think my first will be the 8 speed i picked up from indy last weekend.....

wallfish

really enjoyed watching them vids steve, i think im ready to do my first trans. :banghead:

i think my first will be the 8 speed i picked up from indy last weekend.....

Is it just me that can't watch the videos :thumbs2:

dclarke

Nice job Steve, these videos are really good. :thumbs2:

Martin

really enjoyed watching them vids steve, i think im ready to do my first trans. :thumbs2:

i think my first will be the 8 speed i picked up from indy

wallfish

I can see them now. Before they would pop up and say the action could not be completed :thumbs2:

I had this happen to mine after I edited the post

VinsRJ

Looks good Steve, those roll pins for the shift forks and reverse idler gear are not as tuff as they look. I make my own side cover gaskets with a little grey Permatex on both sides. Torque the side bolts to 12 to 14 foot pounds. I haven't had a leak in any one of the 5003s I've gone through. :thumbs2:

stevasaurus

Thanks you guys...you are a big part of why I try to do this...it is great to know you have good people behind you. :thumbs2::banghead::banghead:

Trans does look good though...ahhh?

shorts

good videos, almost makes me feel like an expert and I don't even have one of those to take apart :thumbs2:

rj35hunter

Great timing! I have one apart right now. Very usefull.....thanks for the help. :thumbs2:

stevebo

Nice job Steve !! I plan on pulling my 400 tranny apart over the winter as 3rd gear is shot and keeps popping out. I have a bunch of NOS tranny gears/bearings and seals that I plan on using. :banghead: Thanks for taking the time to video it. I do not have the patience to video the work I do (most of the time I would not you all to see it :thumbs2::banghead: ).

HorseFixer

Good Job pal :banghead: Will hafta refer back to these when I Do mine. :thumbs2: By the way Yer not useing The Dukes apple juice for degreaser are you? :D That Red Bone Hound in that Pic looks like he may have Snuck Some! :thumbs: Anyway take care this evening may call you and cheer you up after Indiana whips that Illinois Butt. :banghead:

~Duke

Audioshot

Outstanding photos and videos! Thanks. That drive gear is massive.

Coadster32

Great job Steve, and thanks for posting this up. :thumbs2:

stevasaurus

In this photo, you can see that 2 of the threaded hooby-doobys are broke. Was trying a few ideas to see if this casting could be saved.

2011_1219new0004.JPG

2011_1219new0005.JPG

JoeBob gave me the idea of cutting a strip of steel to catch both of the broken parts, drill and tap, and then weld it up. This is what came out. I think it is stronger then what was there. It is not in the way of the gears, and if I seal the bolt hole on the side plate with YamahaBond #4...I think this will work great.

2010_10155003transmission0002.JPG

2010_10155003transmission0004.JPG

I also needed a tool to remove the bearings from their sockets in the side plates. I came up with an 8" Carriage bolt that I ground to fit through the bearing and slip under it to pry it up. Here is a short video of how it works. :thumbs2:

Click on the video to play.

JimD

Looks like a fine fix from Ohio. :banghead: Kudos on the tool too Steve! :thumbs2:

Coadster32

Steveasaurus strikes again. Good idea on the uhh...ummm.uhhh...carriage bolt. :thumbs2:

MikesRJ

That last video was pretty ... uh, uh, uhmmmm ... good! We should title it "Tool on Tools". :banghead: :thumbs2:

rmaynard

Steve,

We are going to have to rename you, "Rube Goldbergasaurus".

stevasaurus

Check out this video...I was able to tie it down and run it through the gears...finished product. Thanks for checking all this out. :dunno: Just click on the video.

• Like 1

JimD

Brrly1

Steve, you did check fluid levels before starting? :dunno:

:wh: