Sign in to follow this  
mailman

Draggin logs out of woods!

mailman

I want to begin using my C-100 to drag some logs out of the back 40. I would expect that either chains or wire cable would be used. I was wondering though, if the back lift could be used in some way to gain some height in the logs being lifted so as not to drag the front of the log into the ground while being pulled.

Has anyone done this sort of thing?

Any suggestions on easy ways to do this?

I would expect that Ian would be the one who would have some experience with this. Or maybe MITH (Jim)

I know these tractors will pull some serious weight, I just have to figure out how to lift the front of the log up enough to not dig in while pulling it.

Nick

If your talking small logs then chain em and drag em as is. :whistle: Now if your looking at some big stuff you might want to look into building an A-frame or log skidding arch to tow them out.

This is a simple idea that would be easy to build. The Log Sled

Here are some pictures of log arches.

Logging Arch

Log Arch sales

If you have space you can also pick them up with a laoder and drive. :WRS:

th_loaderlogs.jpg

th_loader001.jpg

Teddy da Bear

I have done it with railroad ties.

I used a tow chain. Locked it in place and flipped the tie over on the chain.

Seemed to slide better that way. I realize that logs will not lay the way you want them and will roll.

But my B-80 was more than a match for 8 or 10ft. railroad ties. (I did pull some 10 footers that were special length for a RR crossing).

I would suggest the clevis hitch and some sort of short chain.

It all depends on how big the log is you want to drag.

I am going to need to relocate some logs myself.

Let us know your progress.

Mith

Mailman, I know its not the safest way to do it but this is my method. I have a hitch that is quite high, its a bit higher than the rear axle (a no no). Tie on the log with a real short rope, and as you begin to drive away the rope will pull the log upwards off the ground. It works fine for me, dragged some pretty big wood out with that setup.

Another method is to put the end of the log on a bit of ply or something to use as a skid.

Other than that, lots of weight on the back of the tractor, and a decent speed to carry you over the muddy bits or if the log starts to get tied up. Keep your foot on the clutch, if you are towing from a point above the axle there is a chance of flipping over backwards.