Sign in to follow this  
theoldwizard1

Fuel tank cleaner

theoldwizard1

Okay, its not for a Wheel Horse, but I still think this is one of the best places to ask questions about small engines.

I have 2 B&S engines with plastic fuel tanks. Both have developed "crud" in their gas tank. When emptied out through a clean shop rag it looks almost like white paint chips, but it is not hard.

First question: What should I use to make certain all of the crud is out of the tanks (about 2 quarts) ? Just keep adding gas and agitating ?

Second question: Any ideas what is causing this white flakey crud ?

tbbahner

I've done quite a bit of reading on this lately. Its most probably caused by the crappy gas we're getting. Especially prone to happen in tanks that sit with no activity. Also occurrs more often in diesel tanks.

Try and stay away from ethanol gas. Ethanol/alcohol attracts moisture which in turn can cause chemical reactions with the gas/air/additives that produces red,white, green, sludge/slime.

There are a lot of additives out there, which one to use I haven't nailed down yet. FPPF makes several products that boasts killing the algae that causes the slime. Killem is one of them. Starbrite makes Startron that claims the same. Google and read up on them. The stuff ain't cheap.

Some people swear by a Stabil and Marvel Mystery Oil mix put in your 5 gal can when you fill it up.

Below is gas I drained out of one of my old Ferguson tractors - yep- thats green slime. Completely clogged the sediment bowl assembly. Luckily thats all the gas I had in it.

DSC02661.jpg

Empty all the gas, wash out with lacquer thinner, run inline fuel filter. If it comes back, try one of the products on the market.

If you hear of magic potions, post them up, I'm interested.

Tom B

Jim_M

Lacquer thinner may melt your plastic tank, it destroys most plastics. For a plastic tank I would be more inclined to use simple green or some other strong detergent mixed with hot water.

AMC RULES

I would think that a handful of BB's or nuts and bolts added in there while you shake it up. Something to agitate the material on the inside of the tank would be helpful too. Good luck. :thumbs2:

shorts

BB's and mineral spirits, 1/2 cup of each and shake it thourghly, if you pour the spirits thru a rag or coffee filter you can use it several times to get the tank clean.

tbbahner

Sorry about that, missed the "plastic tank". Laquer thinner and plastic does not perform well together.

Something less caustic as mentioned would be better.

My bad!

Tom B