71_Bronco

Running Board Anti-Skid Material?

71_Bronco

I was doin' some thinking the other day about the running boards on my Bronco 14, and what I could do to make them a little more grippy / non-skid.

One idea I cam up with was to get some 1/8" thick steel diamond plate, cut it to the right size, and then paint them with bed-liner. Then attach them to the running boards with a nut & bolt in each corner (4 per side).

I thought I would make a post on here to see what other people are doing to make their tractors a little less slippery.

Any ideas / things you have done are welcome, and pics would be cool too!

Thanks!

CasualObserver

I've seen diamond plate done before, and it can give a nice sharp look, but can be slippery if you climb on or off the tractor with muddy or wet shoes. Never been a real fan of it on a step. The bed liner material would probably help significantly with that though. Interesting idea....

Mine?... Pitted rust isn't very slippery. :D

We do have a member who cuts and sells tread material for many models of tractors. ---> http://www.classickitchensandmore.com/wheel-horse-tractors-parts-c-42.html

can whlvr

i use rocker gaurd spray,just add some grit when spraying002.jpg

• Like 1

Forest Road

I used bed liner in a spray can. Looks goodand has a texture. Did I mention cheap?

Raider12

I purchased the anti-skid material on a roll from NAPA. It looks and feels like sand paper. It's been on my Raider12 for over 15 years now. I have plowed snow for many years as well.

rmaynard

Personally, I favor the 1/8" raised rib rubber mats that Wheel Horse had as original equipment on many models.

471dbfc2.jpg

I keep the stuff in stock in large rolls and can cut to size to meet the application I need. Easy to apply with double-sided tape or flooring mastic.

• Like 1

jachady

I had mine done at the local Linex spray in liner place. He did them for me for 25 bucks since he was already doing a truck.

th_IMG00329.jpg

• Like 1

Don1977

I used two strips of 2" 3M safety tread that was left over from replacing it on a van running board.

IMGP1399.jpg

mr.pipes

Skateboard grip tape is pretty good for that application.

You can get a 8-9" X 30-33" sheet for around $7-$8 shipped on Ebay.

They have it in black, red, pink, camo, purple checker, caution tape, plaid, ect.

For a few more bucks they have one called "Bent Over Chick" :thumbs2:

tunahead72

:banghead:

So let's be honest, how many of you guys at least considered doing a search on eBay for "Bent Over Chick" when you read this?

71_Bronco

:banghead:

So let's be honest, how many of you guys at least considered doing a search on eBay for "Bent Over Chick" when you read this?

Thought about it, but didn't dare look it up from work :banghead:

Anglo Traction

May have been a spelling mistake and should have read 'chique' :thumbs2:

km3h

Hey, that's a good looking Studebaker Grill isn't it?

Now how many of you went back to see what I was talking about?

• Like 2

rustykan

Personally, I favor the 1/8" raised rib rubber mats that Wheel Horse had as original equipment on many models.

471dbfc2.jpg

I keep the stuff in stock in large rolls and can cut to size to meet the application I need. Easy to apply with double-sided tape or flooring mastic.

Where do you get this from. I'm about ready to do mine and like this option best. Looks more original.

• Like 1

rmaynard

I bought a large roll back in 2010, but I have very little left now. I sold a lot of it back in 2010 through 2012. Don't know if I can still get more, but if you need a couple of pieces, PM me and I will see what I have left.

AMC RULES

"Ribbed floor runner" in office supplies...

is the search term here.    :handgestures-thumbsup: 

This material is far from cheap though. 

rustykan

I bought a large roll back in 2010, but I have very little left now. I sold a lot of it back in 2010 through 2012. Don't know if I can still get more, but if you need a couple of pieces, PM me and I will see what I have left.

I am going to see what Lowes has today. I believe they have something similar to this, but not sure. I will let you know if I don't find any.

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

I thought that was a '49 Ford :laughing-rofl:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Grill... :scared-eek: 

what grill?   :angry-extinguishflame:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

km3h

I bought mine from Classic Kitchens. http://www.classickitchensandmore.com/wheel-horse-34520-lawn-tractor-24in-full-size-foot-board-mats-p-1270.html About $30.00. They are an exact fit with all holes for the hardware pre-cut. I have laid them out and they look great. I just want to make sure that I use the right product to install them. They have other designs to fit other models of Wheel Horse. I like these because thy cover most of the floor boards like the original on my 417-A

post-2564-0-97585200-1413210020_thumb.jp

• Like 4

km3h

I thought that was a '49 Ford :laughing-rofl:

You know after taking a Veeeeeeery loooooong second look, that just may be a Ford.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

IDK...        busy.gif

I'm thinkin', this requires more study.

• Like 1

km3h

Since we were talking about mats, I decided to go out and put the floor boards on the 416-H I am restoring. I had the mats and went to Lowes and bought some Locktight spray adhesive. Had to mask off the part that the mat did not cover but wasn't hard and worked great.

post-2564-0-28999500-1413253185_thumb.jppost-2564-0-96535200-1413253196_thumb.jp

• Like 1

rmaynard

I did.  :hide: