Sign in to follow this  
WH_4741

416-8 or D200?

WH_4741

Hi Folks!

I'm in the market for a tractor with enough power to pull 8" capacity woodchipper trailer around the yard and on a trail into the woods. I think it weighs somewhere around 2000 lbs. I also may want to do some snowblowing wiht it in the future.

I found a 416-8 and a D200 on CL. Both are selling for around $1200.

Is there a clear choice in terms of value? Which one would you rather have to pull with?

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I personally prefer the 416-8 over the D-200 but $1200 seems like a lot unless they are in really good condition with low hours and include attachments.

Revision:

I need to revise my opinion based on Cole's Dad post. The first time I read the post I missed the part about the 2000lb chipper(I was tired). I still prefer the 416-8 over the D-200 but I agree in that I don't think they will be capable of pulling a chipper that heavy.

C-Series14

X2...

WH_4741

That's what I was looking for. :thumbs2:

Forest Road

Excuse me. But you want to use a WH 416 to pull a 2000 lb chipper? I assume over uneven terrain, up and down hills? Are you insane? A D-series MIGHT be able to handle that task. But certainly not a 416 or even a 520. Good luck.

WH_4741

Thanks for the straight-up honest feedback C.D. I do appreciate it!

I found the chipper specs. Total weight: 1600 lbs, Tongue weight: 220 lbs.

I have been using my Kubota to move it around by a ball mounted to the bucket since it has a backhoe where the towbar would be. Was hoping to find something smaller / more maneuverable. Maybe I'll just keep using the Kubota and consider it $$ saved and one less tractor in the shed. :thumbs2:

can whlvr

i totally agree too,it will pull that on level ground,but throw in hills,mud,wet leaves and forget it,but they are great to snow blow with,and every thing else they were designed to do

JackC

The D200 will out pull the 416 by a wide margin. It has more weight and more horsepower but both have adequate power.