Sign in to follow this  
bean

newb, just picked up an rj58

bean

newb on the forum and first time wheek horse owner.I picked up an rj58 today. it has a working deck and a clinton engine. i mowed a little bit with it when I got it home. the adjustment on the stop had vibrated loose on the way home and I cut a swath of grass about an inch tall. I scalped a few high spots and dirt was showing here and there :thumbs2:

it is in pretty good shape. the previous owner had taken the front axle/spindles and made all new of his own design(he was a machinist). there is 0 play in the steering.

I actually plan on using it. my grandson is 9, but very small for his age and he can't drive a regular lawn tractor. I was looking at all the linkages, and it appears I can move the foot rest/ clutch pedal rearwards 3"-4" with a little welding/fab work.

I'm getting a little long winded. just wanted to say hello, and will probably be asking a question here and there. will try and post pics sonn.

racinfool40

:banghead: and Yes we love pics!!! Congrats on the find!! :thumbs2: any questions ask away alot of good knowledgable people here!!!

jcb857

:thumbs2:

AMC RULES

Sounds like a nice find. :thumbs2:

StWeiler

We want pictures!!!!!

:banghead:

bean

thanks for the kind remarks,

the grandkids were riding the new rj this evening. they had a blast. I think it goes 10mph in 3rd gear!

the clinton engine runs pretty well. it does smoke slightly, but the carb needs cleaned. it sat for 7 years.

i have pics, just waitng for the wife to download.

fabricator2009

HorseFixer

:D :thumbs2: Yep sound like a nice deal ya have there! :banghead:

Cheers ~Duke

earlleecliffton

COMMANDO6

smoreau

:banghead: :D:banghead: :thumbs2:

joebob

:thumbs2: and about the pedal move, just remember kids grow fast

JC 1965

:D Hello Bean, :banghead: What part of the country do you call home? Sounds like you found a real nice :banghead: . Coograts, and good luck with it. :thumbs2:

mavfreak

Jake Kuhn

VinsRJ

:thumbs2: and :banghead:

liketoplayto

:thumbs2: welcome to redsquare

Raider12

You'v done it now! These red tractors are like potato chips. No one can have just 1. Welcome friend.... :thumbs2:

WheelHorse_of_course

As you can see, these tractors are pretty special. I am not sure how old we were, but we we had to wait till our legs were long enough to push the pedal all the way down before we were allowed to drive gandpop's 550 suburban.

Until then we rode in the cart and an older sibling got to drive. Grandpop got lots of work out of using that tractor. He would always have some chore for us to do that required driving it.

Teach them how to check the oil and take good care of it so their kids can drive it some day.

:thumbs2: :banghead:

rthomp26

Congrats on the find! Love those old round hoods!

If I may offer advice: As rare as the RJ's are becoming all the time, I might recommend not hacking up/welding the clutch and clutch linkage, and see if you could get by with strapping a "block" of some sort to the clutch to bring in closer to your future WH enthusiasts. That way you can keep her original and take the block back off when they're big enough to reach. Just a thought. Oh...and most importantly.... :thumbs2: