Sign in to follow this  
jachady

Old motor in a newer tractor

jachady

Hey guys,

I've got a 1985 314-A that I have come to the final conclusion that the ACR release tab on the cam is worn and won't allow me to properly adjust the valves and have the ACR work properly.

So, as I don't have the time or moeny to put into rebuilding that engine, I am putting in a spare 12hp Kohler that I took off my old 1277.

The problem I have is that there are three wires coming out of the flywheel area on the engine. I assume two of them come from the stator and need to connect to the regulator. The third one has me perplexed, I think it may be for a coilless system as when the tractor was running and I touched it (accidentily) it knocked me off the stool I was sitting on.

I simply taped up that wire and hooked the other two to the regulator wiring on the tractor. Everything worked great, lights and all. Until I revved up the motor, then the lights got REAL bright and burned out. Obviously getting too much juice somewhere.

Any help or ideas? I can try to get pics later .

John

rmaynard

If it's an original engine from a 1277, it should be a starter/generator type with no wires coming from behind the flywheel. What's the model and spec number from the engine label?

jachady

rmaynard - Good thing someone can jog my memory. I sold the s/g off the 1277 engine, then I sold the flywheel. So I took the flywheel off and old Raider 12 engine and used the starter from the 314.

The Raider didn't have a true coil, so I'm pretty sure thats what the wire that knocked me off the stool was for. It went to a little "box" that had the spark plug wire coming out of it.

The spec number on the shroud looks like either 47341c or 47371c. I believe the shroud was from the Raider as well. The model # is K301s.

TT

Before I type a whole bunch of irrelevant information..........

Does the plug on the original 314 engine look like this?:

dcstator005.jpg

jachady

Yes, that is the plug on the 314's engine. I have cut it off so I have the connector to go to the tractor. Right now I have the single point wire going to the coil. Then I simply arbitrarily hooked up the two stator wires to the two side by side spots.

TT

Easy enough.......

Unless it has been changed, the 314 engine has a dual-circuit alternator (stator) which consists of a 3 amp non-regulated charging circuit and a 70 watt AC circuit for headlight power.

You either need to change the stator (and possibly flywheel) on the K301 to the pieces from the original 314 engine, or you will need to add a rectifier/regulator to the current 301 alternator (stator) leads.

The B+ terminal of the R/R will need connected to the original wire that hooks to the "R" terminal on the ignition switch.

You will also have to tap lighting circuit power from the "A" terminal of the ignition switch since that circuit will no longer be fed by the lighting coil.

jachady

Since I've still got the orignal motor, I guess I have a project for tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

jachady

Thanks for the help. Sometimes I get a one track mind and keep looking at the problem instead of finding the easy solution. It took me about a half an hour to get both motors apart and swap the flywheel and stator.

TT

:thumbs2: Now all you need are some new headlight bulbs. :banghead:

squonk

Hey guys,

when the tractor was running and I touched it (accidentily) it knocked me off the stool I was sitting on.

I simply taped up that wire and hooked the other two to the regulator wiring on the tractor. Everything worked great, lights and all. Until I revved up the motor, then the lights got REAL bright and burned out. Obviously getting too much juice somewhere.

John

:banghead: What? No Youtube video?? :thumbs2: :banghead:

jachady

:thumbs2: Now all you need are some new headlight bulbs. :banghead:

Already got them in the truck. Gotta wait until Monday for Bumper To Bumper to open.

jpmcleod

I will probally post this in the For Sale section eventually but if you are in need of a stator, coil or trigger for a 14 HP Kohler. I just changed mine to points and coil.

About 1 year age I purchased a (New In Box) stator and it was hard to find and expensive. The electronic coils don't come cheep (Ihave2) either but if you need them, I will make you a package deal. I thought I had problems and found out after drilling the points rod hole out on the block that one of the trigger wires had viberated off. I really did not like the pointless system anyway.

PM me iof you need something or interested in the stator and electronic coils and hopefully a Redsquare member may tell us a fair price for the both of us.