Sign in to follow this  
Iceman10

My 1984 Wheel Horse C-165

Iceman10

A few additional pics of the restoration of console and fender support parts and the gas tank installed.

CIMG4864.jpg

CIMG4867.jpg

CIMG4868.jpg

CIMG4869.jpg

CIMG4870.jpg

CIMG4873.jpg

CIMG1128-1.jpg

CIMG1160.jpg

CIMG1161.jpg

Rooster

What color of red did you use?

73-18 automatic

WOW looks awesome keep us posted :thumbs2:

COMMANDO6

Looking good. :thumbs2:

rexman72

nice work

tunahead72

Iceman10,

Very, VERY nice work!

But PLEASE don't let my C-105 see this, she'll just want you to do her next! :thumbs2:

Iceman10

Thanks guys, IH Valspar Red from Tractor Supply.

Some pictures of the completed engine after it was mounted in the tractor.

CIMG1133-1.jpg

CIMG1132-1.jpg

CIMG1130-1.jpg

CIMG1129-1.jpg

dclarke

Great job on your rebuild! Love the attention to detail. Keep the pics coming. :thumbs2:

Iceman10

Some pictures of the body panel prep work. Man am I glad this is done! Pain in the &$@! :thumbs2:

IMG_20101030_131305.jpg

IMG_20101030_122819.jpg

IMG_20101030_145106.jpg

IMG_20101030_145058.jpg

C-Series14

I hope you plan on painting the inset of the hood black, that is what sets that model off! Put them decals on correctly also... :thumbs2: Just messing with ya, but some folks have been known to do it! :banghead:

You are doing a great job!!! :banghead:

Jake Kuhn

That is turning out great! :thumbs2:

Iceman10

C-Series14 Hope the hood meets your approval. :thumbs2:

IMG_20111007_113944.jpg

IMG_20111007_113932.jpg

Terry is making me a chrome horse head sticker for the front of the hood.

C-Series14

You have done well! :thumbs2: When I painted mine on the C-195, it only took 4 tries and even then, I screwed it up! :banghead: I lack in the prep part and just start painting and THEN I notice the mistakes!!!

Iceman10

I have had my redos also, I didn't like the way the black turned out the first time and I wet sanded it down and repainted it with Valspar low gloss black. Turned out very nice the second time around. My worst blunder was that I put my hood side decals on backwards, talk about a humbling experience. Terry was nice enough to send me another set of the hood decals and I fixed it right this time. Most people would not have picked up on it except for the die hard Wheel Horse people. Mainly I would also know that it was wrong. Picture below of my OOOOpppsss. <_<

IMG_20110905_121524-1.jpg

• Like 1

Iceman10

Pics showing the rear fender and set mounting bracket installed. Also installing the PTO.

IMG_20111001_171835.jpg

IMG_20111001_170959.jpg

IMG_20111001_170931.jpg

IMG_20110921_130152.jpg

• Like 1

C-Series14

Looks awesome. On the throttle cable, on my C-161, it runs around the right side of the engine through a clamp on the PTO bracket around the front to a plate assembly on the front of the flywheel shroud that transfers the movement to the govenor. . Does your C-165 have that setup?

Iceman10

My cable is on the left side and is attached to the engine cover. PTO side shown below.

IMG_20111010_130005.jpg

C-Series14

OK...must of changed something starting in 1980...I don't have a C-165 8-Speed to compare to my C-161 as far as how stuff is routed. You are doing a top notch job on this tractor! :thumbs2: Good to see them put back to original.

This is how my throttle comes in from the right side around the engine and above fuel pump to the mechanism on the shroud...

001-3.jpg

Butch

Pardon my French but how the hell did you get ALL of the paint and rust off every single part? :thumbs2:

Awesome job. Looks better now than when it was new.

Iceman10

Butch, Yea I wonder about my sanity sometimes. It was very time consuming and hard work. I used laquer thinner for stripping the paint off of the larger panels along with a putty knife. Use a stationary wire brush on a grinding motor and stand on any part possible. Did alot of sanding and scrapping and did a small amount of sand blasting but only if it was in areas that were hard to get to. This project took 2 years and was a little more involved than I originally planned. Every bolt was removed and every piece was stripped down to the bare metal. The only thing I didn't tear apart was the rear end. It was flushed out and all new seals were installed. If I was doing this to make money, I would go broke! I should be getting a couple of stickers from Terry on Wednesday and I will post the final pictures of the completed project later in the week. I still have to restore the mower deck.

John T

Iceman what did you use for a coating on the parts that were previously plated i.e. shift linkage and clutch piece?

Also if I may ask where did you get the exhaust?

145Automatic

I'm kind of partial to the black hoods, and that one looks awesome. Nice restore Iceman.

Iceman10

jwt0bos the linkages for the PTO was spray painted with a silver paint and then sprayed with several coats of clear laquer in order to make it a little more durable. This is the best I could come up with short of sending it somewhere to be plated.

The exhaust & muffler is original. The pipe entering the muffler was cracked around the pipe. I rewelded it and sandblased the unit before painting. I originally used a gray high temp engine paint, but it did not last very long due to the heat. I sanded it back down and sprayed it with cold spray galvanizing. I remembered that my dad used this on the exhaust manifolds on his antique cars. It does a good job and will not burn off.

m2424j

:banghead: Nice work Iceman! That's a **** looking tractor. You do nice paint work. That is a great size tractor for any wheel horse attachment. Enjoy it. :thumbs2:

AMC RULES

Gorgeous trailer queen you've built there. :banghead: Your impecible attention to detail has made it much too nice to work now. :thumbs2: Time to fab up a turn table for it now. :banghead: